Format: Audio CD|Change

on 10 December 2008
Having bought and enjoyed the 'Young Mountain' mini album, I feel obliged to leave this review, just in case any post rock fans out there are considering taking a risk and buying this album. In short, DO IT. There is a marked progression in both songwriting quality and emotional impact. 'Tracks of neverending light' is absolutely phenomenal... may seem simple at first, but the changes that build won me over very quickly. It's a track that often brings tears to my eyes, on a par with Helicon One or First Breath After Coma. If either of those tracks do it for you, I advise you to invest.
on 17 December 2009
The first time I listened to this album it was a major disappointment. Nothing much seemed to be going on. There was very little energy and intensity. I thought it was boring......

On further listens though I found out that I was actually very wrong! Don't get me wrong now, this album is definitely not full of energy, or packed with lots of twists and turns. This album does not push forward the boundaries of post rock, but 'This Will Destroy You' have created a wonderfully subtle and emotionally powerful sound. A sound that is not just a simple derivative of Explosions in the Sky. A sound that is their own. The brilliant use of ambient-y guitars, and allowing the notes to ring for so long, supply so much texture and space, and is executed as well as, if not better, than most bands in the post rock genre. The subtle and slow movement through the songs works delightfully when so much of the song if full of texture, the ambient song 'Villa Del Refugio' being a great example.

If you don't like ambient music, or the more ambient sections of post rock, then this album should probably not be high up your priorities, but please don't fall in the trap of writing this one off after only one listen. There is an awful lot of subtlety to be missed....
on 12 February 2008
So you come from Texas, and you make postrock. You're going to be compared with Explosions in the Sky. The question then is, how well do you compare?

On their first effort, Young Mountain, TWDY didn't compare all that well. For all the praise that minialbum received, it was fairly workaday postrock. It didn't have that whoah there go the hairs on my neck thing going on.

This does.

TWDY do not simply plough the quiet-loud furrow. Several of the songs here are meditative, tranquil and deep. Rather than always aim at the soaring crescendos beloved of postrockers, they build moods. And where on Young Mountain, they sometimes missed, and ended up in a mire of postrock cliche, here they hit the heights. They've been compared with Sigur Ros and I think moodwise, they're getting close. Nothing here has quite the impact of Von from Heim, but there's some deeply moving stuff on here. If you love Mono, EITS, the more ambient Mogwai, this is your new favourite record.
on 6 February 2010
Sweet lord, I'm a massive fan of Mogwai, Explosions etc... I didn't hold out too much hope for this album after their debut album. How pleased was I after a few listens. I've had the album since launch and 'Threads' just can't get itself off my favourites playlist - superb...
VINE VOICEon 15 March 2011
It's great to hear a post rock CD which isn't rooted in the darker moods of a post apocalyptic future or a tortured mind. TWDYs first full length CD deals more with the Texan landscape and its ways of life although there are a few sounds reminiscent of haunting empty deserts to keep the downbeats happy. You can picture slow moving mighty rivers, vast plains and mountains, the music created mostly by skillfull use of conventional instruments: guitars, bass, piano and drums. Overall for a post rock CD this one is a relatively calm experience (there are no industrial noises and only occasional use of distorted guitar). With this CD and Young Mountain TWDY have demonstrated an amazing level of potential and I really look forward to their next release.
on 16 January 2015
Fantastic album. I already own this album in CD format, but I love vinyls so I thought I should add it to my collection. One thing im not sure about is, the LP is not green as shown in the photo, its a burgundy/purple type colour (See photo). The CD is however green.

Not sure about that one, but thats neither here nor there. Fantastic album, would recommend to all!
on 23 March 2015
Was NOT the limited edition gold version of the vinyl as advertised on Amazon page. If you want the bog-standard edition, this album is great and music fantastic but the PRODUCT is a swindle. The pressing is cheap and standard.
on 7 April 2008
Having listened to Sigur Ros and Explosions for years this is immense. If this is their first effort then I have to say 'well done'.
Actually I have to say 'amazing, brilliant, awe inspiring, the best album since 'Sigur Ros's' best offering Takk. If you like the aforementioned bands and GSYBE and MOGWAI then you will love this.
on 14 August 2015