4.0 out of 5 stars excellent
Published on 13 Mar 2009 by S. Richards

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointed
I'd wanted to get one of these for a while after I saw one at a colleague's house. When our second child came along I thought it would be a good way of keeping our toddler entertained when the dinner was being cooked as she usually wants to be picked up then and it makes it hard to get anything done. With a new baby, that would be an even more tricky time of day...
Published 1 month ago by Simon B

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 13 Mar 2009
This review is from: Little Helper FunPod Toddler Kitchen Safety Stand (Maple) (Baby Product)
I bought the funpod for my 18 month old son as he was very keen on climbing on a chair to reach the worksurface. We have a tiled floor so I was worried that he would fall off and hurt himself. I was a little concerned when I bought it that my son would not want to stay in it and would prefer to get a chair. My concerns were unfounded and he absolutely loves it. It's made a huge difference to me, I spend a lot of time cooking and it was a bit of a nightmare trying to cook with my little one around my ankles and climbing on chairs. He is quite happy to stand in his funpod and play with the vegetables/ do some crayoning/ help me make cakes/ play peekaboo. A wonderful product, it has dramatically reduced my stress levels!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointed, 22 Jun 2014
Simon B (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
I'd wanted to get one of these for a while after I saw one at a colleague's house. When our second child came along I thought it would be a good way of keeping our toddler entertained when the dinner was being cooked as she usually wants to be picked up then and it makes it hard to get anything done. With a new baby, that would be an even more tricky time of day!

It's been a reasonably successful purchase. Our toddler is only 19m at the moment and she's a bit small for actually 'helping' but the FunPod does contain her for a while and keeps her interest as she can see stuff and reach stuff (clearly you have to be mindful of knives and cooker controls!). What she most likes is to get up by the sink and splash. That's great but she, and the kitchen, and the FunPod, end up soaked!

Main main issues with this thing are the price and the build quality:

- There seem to be a range of models and we got one of the cheapest ones at around 90. It's really not worth that kind of money and I'm glad we didn't buy the dearer ones which only seem to be a different colour, not any more fancy in terms of features. It's the sort of thing Ikea would sell you for half that cost if they made one.

-It's made out of MDF which is about as cheap as you can get in terms of sheet timber. The screws don't bite wonderfully well when you build it and MDF is hopeless with water. It is well varnished so I'm not massively worried, but it would be a much better product in plywood.

-There is a ledge that the child stands on which can be moved up and down depending on their size. This is what I disliked most as the tolerances on the cutting of this part are really rough. It simply doesn't fill all of the available width which it is meant to slot into. At first I thought there might be some danger that the ledge could collapse but I wiggled it fully and decided that it was sufficiently well connected with it's slot that it was safe, but it feels needlessly shoddy. You can for example see daylight on one side if it is pushed hard to the other side. It should fully fill both slots left and right with no play. The MDF slots are also untreated so a bit worried that the water could make them swell out of shape

-It's simply not that attractive. The MDF is covered in a Maple effect skin but that looks fairly cheap and nasty by modern standards.

As I say, I believe it is safe, or I wouldn't let my daughter use it, but the combination of the sloppy machining on the ledge and the screws that don't bite well did disappoint. Reading about the firm that make them it sounds like a small business, and my guess is that they haven't really got their cost base under control as it's simply too expensive for what it is but I suspect that is not due to excessive profit, I think they are making them in an inefficient and costly way which forces up the sell price. Pure conjecture, but it's a fundamentally nice story on their literature.

To conclude, it's ok, safe enough and good enough, but really not one of our best purchases.

5.0 out of 5 stars We love this!, 9 Jan 2009
Nick Coffer "My Daddy Cooks" (Watford, UK) - See all my reviews
We bought this as a little extravagence - it is fair to say that at 100 it is not cheap. However, it was money extremely well spent, this is truly a lovely piece of kit.

The problem we faced was a very active 14 month old boy who liked being involved. In everything! He particularly loves helping me cook and this was becoming very impractical.

I considered getting a sling but then happened on a recommendation for the FunPod. My son took to it immediately. He stands happily in it for any length of time, he "cooks" with me on the work surface, he puts knives and forks into the rack. He loves being up at Daddy height. He also loves playing Peek-a-Boo in it. He doesn't at all look or feel hemmed in it. If anything, I think he regards it as his own little private space. It is always funny to find what he has stashed away in it when I take him out.

It is very well made and finished, sturdy and HEAVY. It does require a bit of "lugging around" but then if it was lighter it would not be solid.

We have a very small kitchen and it is not entirely practical to have this in there but it seems to be revolutionising our time in there. Archie has gone from being clingy and demanding to being happy as larry. This may be due to the novelty and time will tell if the novelty wears off but I suspect and hope that it will not - after all, the possibilities of what he can do once he is in his Pod are endless...

Finally, I had a small concern about the Pod and am happy to say that I received a very warm welcome when I called Little Helper (the manufacturer) who were friendly and courteous and resolved my question very well. Worth mentioning as this is not always the case...

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Purchase!, 20 April 2011
Okay as a parent i know only too well that there are lots of products out there that seem like good ideas when you see them but when you actually hand over money and then show them to your child its game over. This i thought might be one of those products but i was willing to give it a go even with it being a bit pricey for what looked like maybe a wooden box. It arrived fine and was easy to assemble. I bought it for when my little boy had started walking as he was begging to get up high so he could see what i was doing when cooking/making meals. I am so glad i bought this it got his seal of approval straight away and he loved being in it!! Once he was properly walking and running he stopped wanting to go in it so much as he just wanted to run around burning off energy, during this time it made a good storage box, especially for hiding things from him that he had got a hold of. He is now 18 months old and has been asking to go back in it the last few weeks. He loves watching me cook and going in it to wash his hands at the kitchen sink (which he could stand and do for hours) My only negative is that it is heavy to move about however it does have handles for moving and fits nicely under the kitchen work top. Overall an excellent product and would recommend!!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 5 April 2014
lil gabs is in just lovin this, helps mummy in the kitchen tidying up and preparing dinner, start them early i say

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 21 May 2011
Wow, this is so useful and the kids love it too. Watch out, though: my 20- month old can climb in unaided and get at stuff on the worktop. Nevertheless - highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the price for a happy family!, 19 Aug 2014
An expensive product, but very good quality. Sturdy. A little heavy, but it needs to have some weight to it to ensure the child is safe in it.
I really wanted my child (20 months old) to be part of what I was preparing on the kitchen work top. She always whinged when I was in the kitchen as I wasn't paying her attention and she was desperate to eat whatever I was preparing. So I started to stand her on a chair, but she was really unsafe on a chair and fell off (not a soft landing on our hard kitchen tiles).
I was hesitant as to whether this was going to be a waste of money, but so far so good, she loves being in there and even points to the pod when I'm in the kitchen as she wants to be part of preparation! So one happy toddler who is safe and learning at the same time = one happy Daddy & Mummy!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic fantastic!!!, 7 Aug 2014
The funpod has changed our lives!!! Cooking is no longer stressful and my 17 month old is loving helping in the kitchen. Its very sturdy and perfect height for her to reach worktops and sink. We have an open plan kitchen area so this was purchased for safety as well as fun in the kitchen and I would recommend for anyone with an inquisitive toddler struggling to cook and do chores!! My little girl claps when we pull the funpod to the worktop and can't wait to get in!!. So far shes done playdough on the worktop helped peel veg, splashed at the sink and helped sort cuttlery in the draw, also great for games of boo and she happily sits in it with a book!! Happy mummy and even happier toddler bargain price and more than worth the spend!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Pod....yes it's a box but it's worth it., 4 Jun 2011
We were initially put off this because of the price - it is after all only a wooden (MDF style ) box. However we read the other reviews and decided to go for it as we were constantly trying to keep our son away from hot things. He had also worked out how to pull the safety catches off the cupboards too.

We must admit though that it has been well worth it as it does help to keep your little one safe and engaged while you deal with the cooking and cleaning. It has given us more time (due to less carrying and intervening) and less stress all round as you can play games with your child while waiting for the food to cook rather than trying to split your attention between cooking,cleaning, play pens or other safe areas.

As the pictures show, you assemble the wooden box with a moveable shelf and put it in your kitchen for your young toddler to stand in while you do what you need to do. The foot print isn't too large but do measure up before hand to make sure.
I would have given this 5 stars if it had been a little less expensive but then the delivery charge was not too bad too our area.

Our little boy (13 months) loves it as he can stand alone and play peekaboo and has learned some words for kitchen objects already as we include him in our activities. I have yet to use it with him for his own cooking but I look forward to getting plenty of use over the next few years as you can adjust the height as your child grows.

I would recommend the child wear shoes while they are in it, as the shelf can be a little slippy for them in socks or slippers. Perhaps the manufacturers might consider a non slip surface in their future versions.

Apart from that, all round a very good purchase for all the family and will be used for a good few years yet!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Idea, 29 April 2014
This was bought for my grand-daughter who loves to use it. She stands inside it helping me clean up and wash the dishes.
Brilliant idea. Very Robust product.