4.0 out of 5 stars excellent
Published on 13 Mar 2009 by S. Richards

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointed
I'd wanted to get one of these for a while after I saw one at a colleague's house. When our second child came along I thought it would be a good way of keeping our toddler entertained when the dinner was being cooked as she usually wants to be picked up then and it makes it hard to get anything done. With a new baby, that would be an even more tricky time of day...
Published 6 months ago by Simon B

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 13 Mar 2009
This review is from: Little Helper FunPod Toddler Kitchen Safety Stand (Maple) (Baby Product)
I bought the funpod for my 18 month old son as he was very keen on climbing on a chair to reach the worksurface. We have a tiled floor so I was worried that he would fall off and hurt himself. I was a little concerned when I bought it that my son would not want to stay in it and would prefer to get a chair. My concerns were unfounded and he absolutely loves it. It's made a huge difference to me, I spend a lot of time cooking and it was a bit of a nightmare trying to cook with my little one around my ankles and climbing on chairs. He is quite happy to stand in his funpod and play with the vegetables/ do some crayoning/ help me make cakes/ play peekaboo. A wonderful product, it has dramatically reduced my stress levels!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointed, 22 Jun 2014
Simon B (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
I'd wanted to get one of these for a while after I saw one at a colleague's house. When our second child came along I thought it would be a good way of keeping our toddler entertained when the dinner was being cooked as she usually wants to be picked up then and it makes it hard to get anything done. With a new baby, that would be an even more tricky time of day!

It's been a reasonably successful purchase. Our toddler is only 19m at the moment and she's a bit small for actually 'helping' but the FunPod does contain her for a while and keeps her interest as she can see stuff and reach stuff (clearly you have to be mindful of knives and cooker controls!). What she most likes is to get up by the sink and splash. That's great but she, and the kitchen, and the FunPod, end up soaked!

Main main issues with this thing are the price and the build quality:

- There seem to be a range of models and we got one of the cheapest ones at around £90. It's really not worth that kind of money and I'm glad we didn't buy the dearer ones which only seem to be a different colour, not any more fancy in terms of features. It's the sort of thing Ikea would sell you for half that cost if they made one.

-It's made out of MDF which is about as cheap as you can get in terms of sheet timber. The screws don't bite wonderfully well when you build it and MDF is hopeless with water. It is well varnished so I'm not massively worried, but it would be a much better product in plywood.

-There is a ledge that the child stands on which can be moved up and down depending on their size. This is what I disliked most as the tolerances on the cutting of this part are really rough. It simply doesn't fill all of the available width which it is meant to slot into. At first I thought there might be some danger that the ledge could collapse but I wiggled it fully and decided that it was sufficiently well connected with it's slot that it was safe, but it feels needlessly shoddy. You can for example see daylight on one side if it is pushed hard to the other side. It should fully fill both slots left and right with no play. The MDF slots are also untreated so a bit worried that the water could make them swell out of shape

-It's simply not that attractive. The MDF is covered in a Maple effect skin but that looks fairly cheap and nasty by modern standards.

As I say, I believe it is safe, or I wouldn't let my daughter use it, but the combination of the sloppy machining on the ledge and the screws that don't bite well did disappoint. Reading about the firm that make them it sounds like a small business, and my guess is that they haven't really got their cost base under control as it's simply too expensive for what it is but I suspect that is not due to excessive profit, I think they are making them in an inefficient and costly way which forces up the sell price. Pure conjecture, but it's a fundamentally nice story on their literature.

To conclude, it's ok, safe enough and good enough, but really not one of our best purchases.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 so I have bought another one knowing how great it was first time round, 6 Oct 2014
I had one of these years ago for my first child, not actually planning to have another so sold it. I then had a lovely accident and hey presto, baby no. 2 so I have bought another one knowing how great it was first time round. I can’t praise it enough – we use it every day and then some. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars We love this!, 9 Jan 2009
Nick Coffer "My Daddy Cooks" (Watford, UK) - See all my reviews
We bought this as a little extravagence - it is fair to say that at £100 it is not cheap. However, it was money extremely well spent, this is truly a lovely piece of kit.

The problem we faced was a very active 14 month old boy who liked being involved. In everything! He particularly loves helping me cook and this was becoming very impractical.

I considered getting a sling but then happened on a recommendation for the FunPod. My son took to it immediately. He stands happily in it for any length of time, he "cooks" with me on the work surface, he puts knives and forks into the rack. He loves being up at Daddy height. He also loves playing Peek-a-Boo in it. He doesn't at all look or feel hemmed in it. If anything, I think he regards it as his own little private space. It is always funny to find what he has stashed away in it when I take him out.

It is very well made and finished, sturdy and HEAVY. It does require a bit of "lugging around" but then if it was lighter it would not be solid.

We have a very small kitchen and it is not entirely practical to have this in there but it seems to be revolutionising our time in there. Archie has gone from being clingy and demanding to being happy as larry. This may be due to the novelty and time will tell if the novelty wears off but I suspect and hope that it will not - after all, the possibilities of what he can do once he is in his Pod are endless...

Finally, I had a small concern about the Pod and am happy to say that I received a very warm welcome when I called Little Helper (the manufacturer) who were friendly and courteous and resolved my question very well. Worth mentioning as this is not always the case...

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic concept that both parents (grandparents) and child will love (though important to note safety advice before using), 16 Dec 2014
A Scot (Edinburgh, Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a fantastic idea and great product. My 15 month old son was always eager to see what was going on in the kitchen, but he's a little too heavy for me to carry and obviously it's not always safe to do so when preparing food. This allows him to see what's going on (though be sure to clear some space and make sure nothing dangerous is within arms reach). He loves it and I love introducing him to the kitchen environment in a fun way. I've been talking him through what I'm doing like a TV chef, which he seems to enjoy. The design perhaps could be improved with the addition of a more secure locking mechanism for the plate that your child stands on which is why I've not given it 5 stars, but on the whole we are delighted and can see we will get lots of use out of this product. My son's Gran and Grandpa (aka my parents) have even bought one for their house!

WARNING: Sleep deprived parents, please note the panel that your child stands on must lock in before your child stands in it. If it doesn't, you may need to pull it out and flip it around, so that the lip clearly stops it from sliding in and out. Someone else built the Kitchen Pod up for us as a gift, so I didn't see the instructions to see if this is clear in there. On one use our little boy managed to slide the panel out from underneath him and fell into the pod scraping the bag of his head - no serious injury and he was smiling again within seconds, however it was quite a fright for all of us and could have been worse - so please do take care when putting it together. It also helps to ensure the plate slot is facing the unit for added reassurance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but worth it, 16 Jan 2010
Thomas D. (London, England) - See all my reviews
Even after three days I know the money was well spent. A friend recommended the Funpod because her son is like my daughter (14 months), adventurous. I had no peace in the kitchen because my daughter would be clinging to my legs wanting to be picked up. That is not always convenient if you have to chop veggies etc.

When ignored she would then start pushing a chair to the worksurface and climb on it. After finding her with her hands in the toaster (cold) I thought I give the Funpod a go. And she loves it!

She is mostly next to me at the sink, where she watches me and plays. In the future she will probably want to help me, at the moment she is content just to see what's going on.

You have to consider where to put the Pod, as it blocks those drawers under the work surface (and that's good! as the top is almost level with the work surface), and obviously next to the hob is not a good idea, but we have two places where it can be, in front of a uncluttered stretch of worksurface and next to the sink, and carrying it is no problem.
Definitely a good investment, my back will thank me and I will hopefully lose that hunted look I had while cooking/baking/cleaning because she would be either wailing at my feet or trying to do herself some harm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Purchase!, 20 April 2011
Okay as a parent i know only too well that there are lots of products out there that seem like good ideas when you see them but when you actually hand over money and then show them to your child its game over. This i thought might be one of those products but i was willing to give it a go even with it being a bit pricey for what looked like maybe a wooden box. It arrived fine and was easy to assemble. I bought it for when my little boy had started walking as he was begging to get up high so he could see what i was doing when cooking/making meals. I am so glad i bought this it got his seal of approval straight away and he loved being in it!! Once he was properly walking and running he stopped wanting to go in it so much as he just wanted to run around burning off energy, during this time it made a good storage box, especially for hiding things from him that he had got a hold of. He is now 18 months old and has been asking to go back in it the last few weeks. He loves watching me cook and going in it to wash his hands at the kitchen sink (which he could stand and do for hours) My only negative is that it is heavy to move about however it does have handles for moving and fits nicely under the kitchen work top. Overall an excellent product and would recommend!!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 5 April 2014
lil gabs is in just lovin this, helps mummy in the kitchen tidying up and preparing dinner, start them early i say

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 21 May 2011
Wow, this is so useful and the kids love it too. Watch out, though: my 20- month old can climb in unaided and get at stuff on the worktop. Nevertheless - highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Purchase, 16 Mar 2010
Sarah Pheasant "b93phes" (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
Hi, I was abit concerned on how my 14 month old would take to the funpod but was so sick of her tugging at my trousers wanting to see what I was doing in the kitchen i thought i had better give it a try. It has been brilliant, I can finally prepare a meal in the kitchen now. As long as i give her things to play with while I am cooking she is quite happy. If chopping carrots she plays with the carrots etc. Everytime we walk into the kitchen now she goes straight to it and bangs on the side, her way of telling me she wants to get in. It does get in the way as we don't have a massive kitchen but its worth it!