on 12 January 2008
This is a useful introduction to electric guitar wiring, but has one flaw in my opinion. The wiring diagrams are more pictoral than schematic which is probably not a bad thing for beginners so no gripes there...but the diagrams are in black and white. This means all the wires are in varing shades of grey so tracing which wire goes where on some of the more complex layouts becomes quite challenging. There is a pdf link at the back of the book for a colour version download which kind of defeats the object of owning this as a hard copy.
on 8 March 2009
This book, understanding wiring is, a must for begineers.
It has loads of really useful photo's, but even better than that are wiring digrams that are easy to understand,as you don't need to understand electronics to read them.
There are very good sections explaining what certain components are,how they work and how to wire them.
Follow the instructions carefully and i'm sure you can't go wrong.

The hardest bit is mastering the use of soldering irons.

There are so many ways to mod your guitar, but this book would be a good start.
Read other reviews, but i can definately recommend this book as i'm now on my fourth pick assembly and modification.
on 22 November 2014
It's rare that I leave really negative reviews on Amazon but this is one big disappointment for me. First of all, while the preview of this book is in colour (sort of useful for a book whose purpose is to introduce novices to guitar wiring) the book I received WAS PRINTED ENTIRELY IN BLACK AND WHITE!! And a poor quality black and white at that. Needless to say I have asked for a refund and will be sending the book back. I consider this a poor decision on the part of the author & publisher and a careless decision on the part of Amazon.

As to the book itself...well, despite being led to by it by some positive reviews, I have to say it looks pretty unhelpful to someone who wants to learn about pickups and guitar wiring from scratch. The first thing that struck me was there's almost no text; it's all pictures and diagrams (which are pretty useless in b&w as I've said). What text there is doesn't seem to take into account that I'm a novice to electronics and need some hand-holding and general background information to build up my understanding. Yet again another book from someone who can't get outside of their own point of view (of knowing all about this stuff) to see it from the point of view of someone who doesn't and write from that perspective. In a few places Mr. Swike talks to you like you should find things self-explanatory and easy ("It's as simple as that...") and of course it isn't. He are uses symbols that are never explained (I *think* one of them is supposed to represent the tremelo claw!?) and this is pretty annoying because you find yourself guessing. "How pickups work" is 'explained' in one dense paragraph that left me none the wiser and missed the obvious opportunity to explain this in a way that would help make the wiring diagrams make more sense.

Finally, on the last page of this book, there's an invitation that reads:

"Download the color PDF version here". Out of curiosity I put the URL into my browser - and Google Chrome immediately red-flagged the page as a source of 'malware'. Given that the address is "www.snotboards.com...." I shouldn't have been surprised.
review image
on 9 May 2012
This book tells you the bare minimum and you need to pay a lot of money to get it. There are far better books on Amazon and all of the information is also available on the internet. All this would be forgiveable if the author had made an effort to actually write something of value, engage the reader or simply to connect the chapters. I read this on Kindle and it may be that my comments do not apply to the hard copy - Kindle formatting seems very strange. sorry - there is so much exciting to write about this topic and this seems like a missed opportunity (and the wrong price)
on 27 May 2008
This book had all i needed to know and more as it is my first time at looking into the electrical workings of a guitar as i am usually playing. so will probley save me money by doing my own electrical work on my guitars
on 3 June 2013
it was far too basic and you can download it for free on the net so I felt a bit cheated
on 23 May 2016
Great Book for any one who want to really understand How the wire ring is on your guitar Explained in detail and easy to understand 10/10
on 17 April 2013
why haven't you gotten this book yet?

unless you are already an electrician (which i' not)then you might not need it.
on 18 November 2014
Quite a good book, and worth reading more than the pictures and circuit diagrams as they are all in Black & White
on 6 September 2013
If like me you are a complete beginner to this subject then this book is a must for you. Highly recommend