5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality watch, 16 Jun 2009
This review is from: Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Skyhawk A-T Watch JY0000-53E (Watch)
Citizen are one of the most respected watch makers in the world and this radio controlled Eco Drive watch is first class. No battery to worry about changing and auto adjusts each night or on demand. Multiple time zones with an easy switch over from one zone to another. This watch can appear daunting at first, however when set up is a jem to use. Picks up signal automatically from Germany, Japan or USA depending on where you are located. Citizen quality and leading edge technology. Stylish and very practical, you can`t go wrong with this, five year quarantee also !

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch......, 29 Nov 2007
Bought this watch as i have been wanting an ECO-drive for over 2 years.
I was going to buy the standard version from Argos @ £170, but I was never fully convinced on the looks of that model. Upon first sight i just wanted to have this 53E model.
I only realized that the ECO-drive was powered by light, when reading the booklet. I had read about it in the past but i just thought it was kinetic like other watches.
On full charge the power lasts for 6 months in a dark place. The power saving function worried the hell out of me at first as the LCD display and hands stop functioning. But with a button press or some light it self adjusts to the correct time.

The only nag i have is the constant display of the home location, and the fact that if you want the date displayed the same location is repeated.
At least i know the time is spot on give or take 15 seconds.

If you like the look of this watch as I do its a great buy. At the end of the day all watches tell the time, but its the technology and style that you pay for, and this watch gets big ticks from me on both counts.

Edit:
After reading the other review i felt the need to share my experience.
The power meter has four levels.
Level 1 is empty and its recommended to leave in sunlight until its fully charged. It should only get to this level if its been in a box for months.
Level 2 is 15 days charge,
level 3 is up to 3 months charge and
level 4 is the up to 6 months charge.

My watch has only ever been between levels 3 and 4. Until it reaches level 2 there is no need to charge it. I find that no matter how long you charge it in the sun, it will soon enough be indicating level 3.
I assume the other reviewer is trying to keep it on level 4 so is constantly charging it every morning. I can tell everyone that there is no need to worry about the charge until you hit level 1, even then you have several days to find some light.

Regarding the windowsill issue mentioned, the booklet only recommends direct sunlight so its just a misinterpretation. My watch was in a display cabinet fully charged without sunlight!

On a side note, this watch is not recommended if you live in northern Sweden or alike :P (during winter there is no sun during the day)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch, 10 April 2010
I. M. Silverton "Silvo" (Cheshire UK) - See all my reviews
The Citizen Nighthawk is a great looking watch,packed with features, and a nice watch band. I bought mine through Amazon, and chose the stainless steel version. Delivery was, as usual, superb.

The face is not as large as some would make out, about the size of your average divers watch. Before purchase however, please bear in mind a few points.

The time is not adjusted like normal watches, by pulling out the crown and twisting. Although it can be set by manually, it is a little more complex than average watches. The crown is not connected directly to the hands.

Time is normally syncronized via atomic clocks, either on demand, or via presets during the early hours of the morning, automatically. In either case the watch has to be removed from the wrist, and left perfectly still for the update. This is best done on a windowsill, and can take up to 15 minutes.

If like mine, the time is not set for the UK, it takes a little thought to correct it, making sure you have the correct home location set.

If going abroad to a different time zone, unless you are a technofobe, best idea might be to take the little watch booklet with you!

Even without the updates, I would assume the watch would be a good time keeper, losing only seconds a month.

As mentioned, it is a super watch, and Iam very pleased with my purchase.

Ian Silverton

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything I need from a watch but glass isn't scratch resistant, 6 Dec 2012
A. Eades "Ady-E" (UK) - See all my reviews
I am a serviceman who regularly deploys on submarines for up to ten months at a time. I've had this watch now for a around 5 years and it is everything I need a watch to be.

The world time and quick switching facility between the dual times is very useful when overseas (or under them!) Being able to quickly see what time it is at home avoids those drunken calls home at 4am UK time!

I've never had any issues with the battery running out or not receiving sufficient charge even though it doesn't even see the sun for such long periods. I've never seen the battery level indicator read below level 2 and I've only seen at level 2 once and not for long.

The slide rule rotating bezel is particularly useful. Designed for speed, distance and time calculations, it can also be used for any multiplication or division calculations as well as other mathmatical functions. I often use the slide rule for currency conversion when abroad, adding tax at a curtain percent when required, working out fuel efficiency etc. I find this so useful that I would now buy another watch without this facility!

In fact, dispite having several watches, this is the only watch I ever wear!

So why only four stars? Well being an engineer the watch gets knocked about a bit. The steel strap and clasp have surface scratches condusive to 5 years worth of normal wearing but the thing that surprised me most is that the glass face doesn't appear to be scratch resistant. Dispite trying to take care with the watch while working, knocks do occur from time to time especially due to the general space contraints of a modern submarine, some scratches have developed on the glass.

To summerise, this is a watch that combines style with functionality so much so that you don't need another watch but could benifit from a scratch resistant face.

Thanks for reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb watch - I'd thoroughly recommend it, 31 Oct 2010
T. Bennett "Tom" (London, England) - See all my reviews
To the overwhelmingly positive reviews here I can add little, except to endorse everything they say. This is a classic watch and a brilliant buy.

To anyone who's worried about the power supply to this watch, DON'T be. I've had one for 3 years and it's never failed me once. I don't wear it all the time and I don't leave it on a windowcill to charge - it's usually on a bedside table or in a drawer but the charge indicator never seems to fall much below maximum.

It's a superb watch, it really is. The only concern I have is about the rubber divers' strap which I have on my model. It lasted about 18 months from new and came apart without warning when the rubber split, fortunately as I was putting the watch on. When you read up about the rubber straps, there is a suggestion you should replace these every 2 years, as a precaution. Citizen replacements are ridiculously expensive (IIRC, over £45) but I ferreted about on e-Bay and decided to risk a generic replacement for well under a tenner. It's been absolutely fine - the clasp was rubbish but I re-used the original Citizen, without problem.

- Tom.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 16 May 2013
That should be all the reviews this watch needs but as you're still reading I'll continue.
First off I had excellent customer support from Nigel O'Hara with a minor and acceptable issue while ordering this watch and would recommend using them to anyone.

Now for the watch. First off I'll give you a warning. If your wrists are small or you don't like big and heavy back away now. This watch is HUGE at 48mm wide and 15mm thick and around 175 grams it's a hefty lump of metal to be sporting.

Now I've wanted this watch for a number of years (this is the 3rd generation of Skyhawks) and now that I finally have it I'm glad I held out and didn't go for one of the cheaper Casio ones that have a similar look / feel.

The build quality of this watch is outstanding. The clasp and strap feel solid and it doesn't pull the hairs on my wrist very often. The bezel has some slight haptic resistance but it's smooth enough to be rotated with the tip of your finger. The two buttons and crown are easy to use and feel sturdy. The two LCD displays are brightly backlit and the dial markers and hands are luminous. It's water resistant to 200m.

As for the functions well there's not much it can't do. You have 43 cities to choose from. It uses 1/2 hour timezones unlike some watches that only do whole hours. India for example has a 1/2 hour UTC offsets.
Also there's a 99 minute timer, 2 alarms, and a 1/100 second chronograph that goes up to 24 hours.

Other things that make this a must have for me are the Eco-Drive and that A-T in the name. Eco-Drive means it's solar powered so you'll never have to replace the battery. A full charge will last 180 days without charge though any light will give it a charge, even indoor lighting. If you were to lock this beauty away in the dark the charge would last for ~180 days. The powersave function (that can be turned off) shuts the watch off when it's not getting any light for a while so for instance when I opened the box the watch wasn't moving for a moment until the light hit the dial and it sprang to life. It's not done it again since i've been wearing it and has remained at full charge even in cloudy old Worthing.

The A-T in the name stands for Atomic Time meaning it'll always be the right time and even adjusts for British Summer Time. In the UK it's getting its signal from Germany and worldwide there are 2 signals in Japan and 1 in Colorado in the US. You can manually set the time and force it to update whenever you like though it does it 3 times a day until it's successful. The calendar function is perpetual meaning it's even smart enough to not be fooled by leap years.

The outer bezel markings function as a slide rule and I'm still trying to get to grips with it but it's as easy as any slide rule I guess.

I should really say something negative about this watch but it's hard to do. It is very heavy and takes some time to get used to the weight. It is mildly anoying that you need to pull the crown out in order to switch between functions and some more variety in screen combinations would have be nice but over all the watch is just what I wanted.

I'd give it another star if I could!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love It, 9 Feb 2009
Brian J. Candy (Qatar) - See all my reviews
This watch is everything I have ever wanted in a watch. I live in Wales UK and there is not a lot of sun here. Yet my watch is always charged. The radio controlled side of things ensures my watch is always spot on. I listen to Radio 4 all the time, and I love the fact that my watch is bang on with their hourly pips. No winding backward or forward as we switch between British Summer Time and British Winter Time, the radio controlled side of things look after that for me. It looks great! And although it has had some nasty bumps already, it is still working fine, and there is not a scratch on the glass. Now that I don't understand, I have hit that glass on some nasty surfaces, previous watches I have owned would most definitely be scratched.

So.... no winding, or battery's to replace. Accurate time, and automatic adjustments for BST and BWT. Seems good and sturdy, OK I'm not a rock climber or out doors pursuit's instructor, but I am pretty careless when it comes to watches. It's my perfect watch, and I love it. Go on treat yourself, if you've read all these reviews and your that interested don't wast any time looking at others, get one on your wrist now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch !, 18 Jan 2012
Ordered watch for next day , delivery was painless.
The watch itself looks great , perfect size on my wrist. I did have to take out 3 links as the strap was way too long but this was easy enough to do, just be careful not scratch the bracelet whilst getting the pins in & out.
Setting was not as hard as I thought , basically pull the crown out one click to select mode and two clicks to change anything. The added light function is a good addition and make it possible to see digital time in darkness after the tritium on the hands has faded away. My previous NAVIHAWK did not have this and was a pain to see at night.
I bought this watch because I liked the look, size functionality of it, and the fact that it will never need a battery.
Overall I am pleased with my purchase and would recommend this product to anyone looking for a watch packed with technology that requires minimal maintenance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Skyhawk, 2 Mar 2009
Mr. C. Rhodes (Stockport) - See all my reviews
Excellent quality. Keeps perfect time, as expected, and very good value for money. Only negative is the manual is too small and very hard to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Total quality., 15 Feb 2010
Horsey (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
I have owned a Casio Waveceptor for almost a year now which I thought was a superb watch. I bought it as the Citizen was double the price, however 10 months on and due to the world wide web I have bought one of these watches for not much more than the Casio cost. Don't get me wrong the Casio is a superb watch but the Citizen is oustanding!! I travel a lot and my main gripe with the Casio was it is just too complicated to change the time, the Citizen is so much easier it is also a little easier to read the various dials as it is slightly larger. Both are great watches but the Citizen wins it for me - just shop around there are great deals to be had.