4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watch, poor calendar display.
My main motive for buying a watch of this type was the eco-drive technology. My last watch had suffered from too many battery changes over the years, and its watertight integrity had been compromised! The thought of never having to open the case and replace a battery is an attractive one.

I like the rugged appearance of this watch, but be aware if you are...
Published on 29 Sep 2008 by Honest Jim

2.0 out of 5 stars Goodish ,poor fitting,crown scratches my skin
Good watch but the crown scratches my skin,I had to use it on the right arm and had strap replaced as well
beacause it was not functional...could be much better.
Published 4 months ago by M. Locci

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watch, poor calendar display., 29 Sep 2008
This review is from: Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Canvas Watch #BM6400-00E (Watch)

I like the rugged appearance of this watch, but be aware if you are relying solely on a picture to make a judgement, this watch is bigger than you might expect. It is not 'oversize' though; it measures approx 32mm across the mineral glass, while the casing is approx 42mm across, and lug tip to lug tip is about 49mm. Compare this to an existing watch and you'll see what I mean. However, the size makes it very easy to read, both in daylight and at night. I also like the screw down crown which locks in place to help with keeping the water out.

Overall, I think this is a well made watch offering good value for money. I'm very pleased with it. The only reason I have dropped the score from 5 to 4 star is the puny calendar display; it is disproportionately small to the whole watch and indeed is quite difficult to read. Other than that, it's great!

6 YEAR UPDATE I've had this watch 6 years now, and I thought it might be useful to let you know that it is still going strong. It has never missed a beat in its entire life so far, but I keep the rating at 4 stars simply because of the poor calendar display. Other than that, I continue to recommend this watch highly!

5.0 out of 5 stars Eco drive, 18 April 2009
This review is from: Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Canvas Watch #BM6400-00E (Watch)
This was a watch that looked good for the size of the dial as my eyesight is now getting worse (close up) so I went ahead and bought it.
I have not looked back the time keeping is first class, and the dial can be read without my reading glasses, I can even read it in the dark as the luminosity is unbelievable.
If you want a watch that never needs a battery, shines in the dark, is easy to read, and keeps time, and waterproof to 200m just for good measure...look no further.

5.0 out of 5 stars Faultless, 31 July 2009
This review is from: Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Canvas Watch #BM6400-00E (Watch)
Bought this as a holiday/beach/sea watch to wear instead of my usual one. Citizen make a number of similar looking watches, but most are far more expensive due to the inclusion of chronograph features. Unless you think those extra features are essential, I think this is an excellent piece of kit which feels pretty much bullet proof. Very unusual to find a truly waterproof watch (ie screw-down bezel) at this price - recommended without reservation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, stylish and practical., 23 April 2012
Jack D. (Stansted, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Canvas Watch #BM6400-00E (Watch)
I've lived with this watch for a few months now and I have to say I think it's turned out to be a great buy. I love its chunky, (but not heavy), porportions, the clarity of the dial (great for the spec-wearers among us!), both during the day and night (it has a great, long-lasting lume) as part of a stylish package that is also high on practicality with, in theory, no need for any replacement batteries. It's not perfect though. The date display is laughably small, (glasses off, squint to view!), but isn't a major issue for me and the supplied strap is not to my liking at all. I know a lot of people have opted for all kinds of NATO straps to go with this Citizen but I quickly replaced mine with a more comfortable black leather strap (c£10) with contrast white stitching with the whole ensemble making for an understated class act. Bear in mind that the strap sizing is a slightly weird and unusual 21mm although a good quality leather 22mm strap can be comfortably accommodated. These negative issues effectively knock off a star.

If you don't want to spend a fortune on a watch but need it to be highly practical with a contemporary cool form factor, this Citizen is well worth your consideration.

5.0 out of 5 stars All the watch I'll ever need, 17 Feb 2009
J. JONES (Cymru) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Canvas Watch #BM6400-00E (Watch)
Good quality. Comfortable to wear. Tough. Accurate. Good price. Excellent watch. I bought it to wear while my swiss diver's watch was away having a very expensive service. I've decided to keep on wearing this and to put the other watch on e-bay and spend the money on something more worthwhile....

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Watch!, 6 Jan 2011
This review is from: Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Canvas Watch #BM6400-00E (Watch)
I bought this because of the Eco Drive.
Basically it's a quartz watch (so keeps accurate time, unlike automatics) but it's solar powered. No more battery changes!
Leave it in the window during a sunny day and you have enough power for 6 months.
However, it can also be charged from any sort light source. So general day-to-day wearing should keep it charged up anyway.

The dial is nice and simple. Not having numbers at 6, 9, and 12 is strange but it's hardly noticable.
It is very quick to read the time.
Date window is a bit small.

The second hand actually lines up to the markers all the way around the dial.

The watch has a screw on back, is water resistant to 200m, and has a screw down crown... If it had a bezel it would be a divers watch!
It's pretty solid and robust and should easily survive day-to-day usage.

The blue/green lume from the hands and numbers is very bright after exposure to just a few seconds of light. It does fade after an hour, but even after a lot of hours in the dark it still has enough lume to easily read the time... very impressive.

Only thing I didn't like was the strap. You can't put extra holes in it and I wanted a position between two places.
The big advantage is that it has normal lugs and springbars. The lugs are 21mm.
It's very easy to take the strap off and replace it with any standard after-market strap.
In fact any normal 22mm leather or fabric strap fits perfectly.
I've tried it with thick leather straps and Nato's (all 22mm) and all look so much better than the strap it came with.

For less than £100 this is one nice watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ideal watch, 21 May 2011
This review is from: Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Canvas Watch #BM6400-00E (Watch)
Of course, like any watch freak I would have preferred the `Ray Mears' super-tough model in titanium, but these are discontinued and as rare as hens' teeth. This watch in stainless steel has all the essential elements, is not quite as sleek but to all intents and purposes does the same job. The lume is impressive, the numbers easy to read, the strap robust and functional. The Eco Drive function means I shall not have to worry about battery replacement, and all in all this is a very pleasing, not stupidly oversized, watch that does `just what it says on the tin'. Amazon's delivery time was impressive, BTW. Estimated May 25th, actual May 21st!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read with only one weakness, 21 Sep 2010
Daniel Leigh (Wales UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Canvas Watch #BM6400-00E (Watch)
I've had one of these for several years and I love it. To me this is a beautiful watch design that doesn't shout "designer," and it has no scratches after four years.

I also have an Eco-Drive Pro-Master world time aviation multi-function watch that I like for travel, but the BM6400 keeps better time. I reset them both twice a year when the time shifts from GMT to BST and back, and the BM6400 only gains about 2 seconds a month, while the more expensive one gains over 3.

Initially, the second hand, a beater (easy to set), wasn't stopping exactly on the seconds indices, but after a couple of years this has become more and more precise, to the point where it is now as near as dammit to being spot on.

Incidentally, the original strap size is 19mm, a rare size. 20mm leather straps fit nicely, and look (and feel) a lot better than the stiff canvas. I've put a Di-Modell leather strap on mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for "work-week" use on a leather band, 24 Aug 2011
This review is from: Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Canvas Watch #BM6400-00E (Watch)
I was looking for a plain-face everyday watch to wear to the office.

As I wear long-sleeve shirts, I like the fact that this watch is not too thick. Also, I wanted a plain face (not chrono), easy to read, and average size (under 42mm diam) which is discreet.

I have changed the strap to a black leather band, to make this look more professional. You can see the photos I posted in the watch photos.

Finally, I like the idea that this watch auto-recharges and keeps accurate time. I have mechanical Swiss watches for more formal occasions, or for the weekend, however I wanted something simple and low maintenance that I didn't need to remember to set the time every time I didn't wear it over the weekend.

A perfect "week" tool for an office worker, on a leather strap.

4.0 out of 5 stars Got What I Paid For, 30 July 2010
Robin F. Huxley (Melbourne Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Canvas Watch #BM6400-00E (Watch)
This watch has delivered almost everything I expected, with 2 minor differences:
1) From illustration, I expected the finish to be matte.
2) It is described in Citizen ads as a diver's watch. However, warranty specifically stated it is not suitable for Scuba.