1,029 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well
I have been using this for a while now, though not that heavily. It starts quickly when you press the power button, appears to measure accurately, and is nice and simple to use. It is easy to wipe clean, which is just as well since apart from normal kitchen use I have also used it for measuring a few kilos of sand and cement for mixing in a DIY repair job!

I...
Published 9 months ago by Simon

Published on 28 Nov 2011 by AC

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic kitchen gadget - but only lasted a year before failing, 28 Nov 2011
AC (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Salter Slim Design Electronic Platform Kitchen Scale, Black (Kitchen & Home)
For many years we've used a lovely pair of traditional "Queen" scales, with weights, in our cottage kitchen. I favoured this type as they can't go out of adjustment, as spring scales can, and of course they look good. However, recently, we've been dieting and needing to weight small quantities like 1oz of cheese, or 5g of butter, and for this kind of thing our scales were not ideal- fiddling around with some of the smallest weights, having to wash up the scale pan after weighing something small, etc..

These digital scales are ideal. Just put the plate or dish on the scales, press the left button to zero, then add the item directly to the dish until the desired weight shows. Switching between metric and imperial is just a few presses of the other button, so it's all incredibly easy and fast with nothing to wash up at the end.

So why didn't I give five stars?

1. For what looks and operates like a high-tech gadget, it feels rather cheaply made with rattly buttons and what feels like low quality plastic everywhere except the round platform area. They are inexpensive, it's true, but that's no excuse - if they were made in Japan they'd feel as good as they look and still not be expensive.

2. The right hand button, which switched between units, would be more convenient if it only switched between grams and pounds/ounces. Instead it goes through four options - two of which are completely pointless. These other two are millilitres and fluid-ounces. However, these are actually measures of volume, not weight, so don't really belong on scales. They're pointless because they assume (it explains in the instructions) that the density of the liquid being measured is the same as water. So - surprise, surprise - a fluid ounce of water is actually the volume of water that weights 1 oz, and a millilitre of water is the volume that weighs 1 g. In other words, these two capacity settings just read the same as the weight settings and are therefore totally superfluous (the only difference is that "fluid ounces" shows only ounces, whereas the weight setting shows pounds and ounces). As the units markings on the display are extremely small (illegible to anyone over 45 not wearing reading glasses), I'd really much rather the scales had only two settings - metric and imperial, and a press of the right button would simple switch between them, so you'd always know were you were.

By the way, the weight reading on the LCD is quite large and easy to read.

They're best suited to smaller weighing tasks as the flat and fairly small platform means that if you put a large plate on it, you'll have trouble seeing the display. For us this is fine - if I want a pound of flour to make bread, I'll use the old-fashioned scales, but when I want to weigh one slice of bread, I'll use the digital scale.

For 15 I don't hesitate - no kitchen should be without this type of scale.

*** Update one year later...

Well, as I said in my review, functionally these scales are great and a revelation if you're used to traditional kitchen scales. I used them most days and even took them away on our holidays. However, almost exactly one year on they failed, with the same symptom that I've seen described by others: when you first switch them on, or reset them, the display shows a zero weight initially but then starts counting upwards, never settling and never able to be set back to zero for more than a few seconds.

I suppose I should invoke the 15 year warranty that I believe they came with but I can't really be bothered. I've bought some new ones - this time the Duronic ones that are highly rated here; they're functionally almost identical but look and feel nicer in use. I wonder if they'll last more than a year - I expect so!

I've downgraded my rating to 3-stars because when they were working they were very good.

1.0 out of 5 stars 2nd one broken after a short amount of time, 14 Feb 2012
I'm on my second Salter weighing scale and both of them packed up in less than a year. It began by not being able to re-set to zero and now it will not turn at all despite new batteries. I'm giving up, and not replacing it instead I'll look for a different brand.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice, while it lasts. But it will die on you., 18 Feb 2013
I've just purchased my third one of these. For a year or so, they're great, then they either start to go mad, or stop working completely (not the battery). I use mine nearly every day and while it's still working, it's fantastic.

It's great that they measure to 1g and that they can weigh up to 5KG, but I do have to wonder if I should find a different brand to trust. Sadly, the shops seem riddled only with this brand.

All very well that they have a 15 year guarantee, but you really have to jump through some hoops to get anything done about changing one. In the end, it's usually quicker and easier just to buy a new one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 30 Sep 2013

I particularly like the fact that it will display "negative" weights as well as positive ones, which means that you can use it by putting a full packet of something onto it and then turning it on so that it zeroes the scale with the full packet in place. Then you can remove the exact quantity you require from the packet while it is on the scale and put it straight into whatever container you are using for the cooking without having to make some other intermediate container dirty in the process.

4.0 out of 5 stars Try this in your Kitchen., 9 May 2013
This is a very convenient product. It is compact enough to put in a drawer yet large enough to take all the usual items for everyday cooking. The only criticism ( if that is the right word) is that it would be perhaps more efficient to have the display numbers slightly further away from the weighing area, perhaps makin the whole machine an oblong instead of square. (Bowls do tend to obscure the display)

5.0 out of 5 stars Accurate and easy to use, 18 Mar 2013
Have used the scales a few times now and like the fact that they are easy to zero if using one bowl for everything (saves on washing up). Also can change measuring unit if need to add liquid to the recipe. After reading one review I was worried that I might not be able to see the read-out as it could get obscured by a bowl. It must have been a very large bowl as I have not encountered this problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars VERY NEAT SCALES, 6 Jan 2013
I read a number of reviews before purchasing these scales and although one or two said there was a problem reading the display I decided to try them anyway. I understand what people were saying about the display which can easily be difficult to see when a bowl is placed on the scale. Fortunately I had the bowl from my previous scale and this is clear plastic which makes it easier to see the reading. So, to sum them up, I like these scales very much and it's much better having a digital read-out, also easy to change from kilos to lbs ozs etc and great for storage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, easy to use kitchen scales, 23 April 2009
G. Horsham (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Nice slim and compact kitchen digit scales, that can be used to measure grams, pounds, fluid ounces and millilitres; you can very easily switch between them by the touch of a button too. Simple on/off button doubles up as a zeroing button too, so that you can measure out, say, 100g of flour, zero the scales and add a further 50g of flour all in the same bowl without having to do any maths; maximum weight it can measure is 5kg.

There is no bowl with this scale, as it is designed to have a flat platform onto which you can place your item to weigh, or place a bowl in which you can then add your ingredients, so very flexible. One minor grumble. As it is quite small (16cm x 18cm), the display can be difficult to read if the bowl on the scales is large. Overall an excellent product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great scales at a great price, 28 Mar 2008
Picard (USS Enterprise) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
What more can be said? It's such a slim device and is perfect for storage in our cupboard. The display is clear and its easy to use; the units being changed by just one button. Its also very accurate, which makes a change!

The build quality is also what you'd expect from Salter. This is essential if you're a busy bee in the kitchen!

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed within a year, 3 April 2012
J. Keen (England) - See all my reviews
I loved this product to start with - it is slim, compact, and very easy to use. But the other day it started to give completely inaccurate readings. Butter is one of those things you don't really have to weigh unless you're being very precise, as you can judge by eye, but for some reason I thought I'd stick approximately 60 grams of it it on the scales. The reading I got was 235 grams, which was patently completely wrong. Replaced the battery, no use - same incorrect reading. Pretty annoyed as I already had something in the oven which I then knew was not going to turn out the way it ought to have done - complete waste of ingredients.

These scales are going in the bin and the next brand will not be Salter - there are too many reviews here reporting issues with accuracy and quality.