5.0 out of 5 stars excellent value for money
I purchased this main adaptor after buying the defenders mega-sonic cat repeller which unfortunately eats batteries but it does work as no more cats!! and the adaptor is the icing on the cake.
Published 22 months ago by alscuba66

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonably pleased
Firstly for a adapter which is used outdoors it is not a very good idea for it to be indoors only. Including a 5 metre extension helps a bit, a choice of 5 & 10 metres would be better. I like to keep the cats on there toes and move the scarer around a bit. Seems to work better like that.So I think three stars is about right
Published on 25 May 2010 by Samuel

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent value for money, 6 Jun 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars saving a fortune on batteries, 20 May 2011
This review is from: Defenders Universal Repeller Adaptor (Garden & Outdoors)
I havn't had this adaptor long but so far so good and it's saving me a fortune on batteries for my cat scarer, (don't know how much lecci it using though!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Power adaptor has been changed, 22 Feb 2012
This review is from: Defenders Universal Repeller Adaptor (Garden & Outdoors)
I bought one of these power adapters for my Megasonic Defender cat repeller two years ago. It was a conventional transformer type power adapter. Both products have been working fine ever since they were installed to keep my lawn clear.

This week, I ordered another Defender and power adapter after a cat had started fouling another area. Although the packaging and part number for the power adapter are the same (STV612), after studying the new documentation, it looks like STV have introduced a completely different mains adapter perhaps some time from October 2011 onwards. It doesn't resemble the one on the box packaging, and the pictures posted in this Amazon UK listing.

Specifically, it is a light weight switched mode power adapter, the sort that is frequently supplied with mobile phones and other gadgets nowadays. And we know how reliable they are....

It comes with a snap on adaptor to allow it to be used with UK 3 pin or European 2 pin mains power socket.

I may be being pessimistic, but experience has shown switched mode power supply adaptors often frequently have a shorter life span than conventional transformer type designs. I wouldn't be surprised if I have to replace it after only 2-3 years. There is no mention of warranty conditions with the product, so I can only presume it is only for 1 year.

Only time will tell, and I hope I will be proven wrong. I will report back in 2014 !

Fwiw, alternative universal DC power mains adaptor will also work. Provided it is rated at 9 volts DC at 500mA (The Defender draws a mere fraction of this current) and has a 5.5mm (out diameter) 2.1mm (inner diameter) barrel plug fitted, with centre hole being Negative polarity.

The kit comes with 5 metre extension lead. If you need a longer lead, try looking on a certain well known auction site and search for:

2.1 extension lead

5m and 10m extension leads are available.

Hope the information is useful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works on Grandchildren too., 16 July 2012
This review is from: Defenders Universal Repeller Adaptor (Garden & Outdoors)
Cats are lovely animals, but we prefer birds in our garden. We used to look out of our bedroom window and watch our feathered friends having their breakfast, only to be frightened off by neighbour's cats. Then we bought the Cat repeller, which worked well, but ran out of battery power. So now we have the adaptor (complete with a long power lead). The cats stay away, we get more birds than before, and if we don't want the grandchildren chasing over the roses & the rock garden we leave it on.
Only criticism is that the range of the repeller seems to be limited---10 yards away & even the grandchildren don't complain.

5.0 out of 5 stars just what the cats wanted, 17 May 2011
Chris (Mold North Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Defenders Universal Repeller Adaptor (Garden & Outdoors)
Works well with my sonic cat repeler, no more batteries and the cats after a few weeks just stay away, worth every penny.
Chris

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonably pleased, 25 May 2010

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't get it wet!, 25 Aug 2010
This review is from: Defenders Universal Repeller Adaptor (Garden & Outdoors)
Although meant to power the appropriate units that are used exclusively OUTDOORS, this adapter warns it is for INDOOR USE ONLY!
Be carefull if rain has got to the sonic equipment as the adapter end plug will short and definately destroy the unit.
Warranty will be void for using the adapter outside--even though it is supplied (and recommended by STV) to power equipment that is only used outside.
Catch 22 if anything goes wrong!

4.0 out of 5 stars Why complain about the plug??, 6 Sep 2013
Ms. Tracey L. Burr "Tracey Burr" (Poole, Dorset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Defenders Universal Repeller Adaptor (Garden & Outdoors)
I really don't get the people moaning about the plug, yes it clearly states plug for indoor use and not outdoor...I've got the lead running through the kitchen window, simple job, open said window, throw out the lead, shut the window, connect up..job done...no more cats out the front, just need to do the same for the back garden now :) And saves on batteries which it eats, we have many Wood Pigeons and those big birds waddling around the garden set off scarer so wasting the batteries...

3.0 out of 5 stars DOES IT WORK.?, 15 Jun 2012
This review is from: Defenders Universal Repeller Adaptor (Garden & Outdoors)
UNIVERSAL CAT / FOX REPELLER.
SEEMS TO WORK, HAVE HAD LESS DEPOSITS ON MY LAWN.
IT WORKS BETTER WITH A MAINS ADAPTOR, CLEARLY THIS KEEPS THE UNIT WORKING AT MAXIMUM.Defenders Universal Repeller Adaptor

5.0 out of 5 stars Meets all expectations., 25 Feb 2011
NH34 (Horsham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Defenders Universal Repeller Adaptor (Garden & Outdoors)
This is the second such device I have purchased and they perform well with my two sonic cat repellers. Pity that the neighbours' cats appear to be attracted rather than repulsed - at least for the present.

ARRAY(0xa587f390)