Format: Audio CD|Change

on 23 December 2008
Los Campesinos! highly energetic debut caught the eye in early 2008 with their spunky guitar and shrill lyrics. A highly optimistic and joyful set of tracks from the Welsh seven piece begins with "Death to Los Campesinos!" and continues at the same pace with standout tracks "Don't tell me to Do the math(s)" and "Drop It Doe Eyes" keeping the listeners attention with the urgent and energetic delivery. The lyrics are witty and clever, with examples like

"Drawing tiny little pictures of skeletons,
to get across the sense of impending doom,
and I am seventeen pages through this notebook now,
and they are little more than picture of how I see you,
on a xray machine which is more like a television screen "

being both thoughtful and playful. A similar trick Pavement used for many years. The track of the album is "You! Me! Dancing!". It has all the elements I like in a track. A slow but building din raises the tempo and volume, disguising the melody until it jumps from the noise to ambush you with catchy lyrics, tunes and a fluctuating tempo that makes a good song. It is an awesome end to a very refreshing album.
on 1 May 2008
I love discovering new music, and having heard this at a friends house recently, this is for me the best album by a new band I have bought in the last year.
Los Campesinos sound to me like a mixture of `Arcade Fire', `The Pixies' & `The Go! Team' all mixed into one - although I would tone down the expection of all that down one notch.
This is a self-assured debut album full of intelligent, catchy lyrics overlaid with some very nice hooks. It's punchy, upbeat and foot-tappingly good.
I'm disappointed there aren't more positive reviews for this album as these guys really derserve to be noticed.
The best song is `You Me Dancing' and if you're not singing along with a smile on your face, after having heard it a couple of times, then I'm sorry, but there's some part of you that's dead inside.
Other highlights are the opening track `Death to Los Campesinos', `My Year in Lists', `This is how you spell...' and `Sweet Dreams Sweet Cheeks', but in general I loved the whole album, with only `Don't Tell me to do the Math' being below par.
They have been quoted as being inspired by `Broken Social Scene', and if you like them, the bands I listed above and Indie Punk Pop style bands then I fail to see how you wouldn't like this.
Being objective I would rate this 4 stars but will give it 4.5 stars as a debut album and the fact that it just makes me happy.
Check this out.
on 12 August 2011
I have felt compelled to write a review for this album for some time. Partly because L.C. are a Cardiff based band and I am from Cardiff and partly because I like to support lesser known bands. But mainly because I keep returning to this album time and time again. There is something about it that keeps calling me back.

I bought this album on the strength of the track Sweet Dreams, Sweet Cheeks which I heard played on the Zane Lowe show on BBC Radio 1 a few years ago. The energy of the song and the infectious tag at the end (one blink for yes, two blinks for no, sweet dreams sweet cheeks, we leave alone) made me stop what I was doing and wonder what the album was like.

On first listening to the album, I was disappointed. Some of the tracks seemed bizarrely titled (This is how you spell "Ha Ha Ha, we destroyed the hopes and dreams of a generation of faux-romantics"), some tracks seemed noisy and hectic (Broken Heartbeats Sound Like Breakbeats) and others irritated me with their odd lyrics ( e.g. `You said "Send me stationery to make me horny"').

I was just about to eject the CD and relegate it to the Never To Listen To Again box when Sweet Dreams, Sweet Cheeks started to play. It was then that I was reminded of why I had bought the album and of the potential this band has. Sweet Dreams, Sweet Cheeks made me want to jump and dance until I was exhausted and I played it over and over.

After wearing out Sweet Dreams, Sweet Cheeks (word perfect, air guitar perfect, air drums perfect!) I began to explore the rest of the album with more intent. Some of the songs still didn't work for me (Don't Tell Me To Do The Maths) but others began to reveal their beauty like a slow sunrise. You! Me! Dancing! quickly became my outstanding track of the year and probably wore the repeat button out more than Sweet Dreams, Sweet Cheeks. From the slow single chord strums at the start which build and build and build to explode into the first verse right up to the glockenspiel outro, the song is 6mins and 46 seconds of ecstasy and fully deserved its airtime on the Budweiser commercial.

Other moments of genius that have put their hands up over the last few years include the beautiful Knee Deep At ATP which starts off quickly but suddenly turns into a slow and poignant observation of betrayed love (`And I know he took you to the beach, I can tell from how you bite on your cheek every time the sand falls from your insoles').

And We Exhale And Roll Our Eyes In Unison features a bridge section at 1 min 40 secs that just fills you with hope and happiness. It barely lasts a minute but you can see thousands of stadium-going fans singing it over and over whilst the band turn their microphones off and just keep the beat going.

And the final hidden untitled track is a delightful but short eclectic mix of keyboards, drums, guitars, glockenspiel, strings and what sounds like bagpipes! It fits the bill perfectly as a closing track. I just wish there were more words.

So this album has been an evolution for me. Even today, I still hear something new every time I listen to it. It tells me that sometimes music has to be worked at. That sometimes music is not always obvious. That sometimes music keeps the moments of genius to itself until you have earned the right to hear them. I love this album and can't wait for the next. Long live Los Campesinos!
on 28 May 2008
It's been around two years since I first stumbed across Welsh pop outfit Los Campesinos! and their catchy addictive sounds led this album to ve my most anticipated this year.

Unfortunately, 2 years of build up set me up for dissapointment, but don't get me wrong, this is still a contender for debut album of the year.

It seems they have finally found "the perfect match between pretention and pop" which they've been searching for since the earier EPs, but if you've heard the early demo's and EPs, you may be let down by the roughness of the album.

In the past, bands debut's have let me down by being too polished compared to their work beforehand, but Los Campesinos! somehow have managed to go the other way.

Most noticably on You! Me! Dancing!, the uber-polished sound from the past which worked so well has been replaced with a slightly grubbier sound, which despite being good, doesn't quite live up to the earlier work.

Still a classic album
on 26 August 2008
Los Campesinos! are a seven-piece (four boys and three girls) hailing from Cardiff. Their debut album Hold on Now Youngsters is an absolute indie party riot!

The album is full of perfectly sculpted indie classics. The highly charged, energtic songs are witty, creative and in all honesty brilliant songs leap at you like that first pint of Lager after a long week at work, slap you hard in the face, smile, and invite you to join their party - riotous tunes from start to finish.
No one with an ounce of a music brain should go on any longer without listening to You! Me! Dancing! - definetly a cult classic. That would get even the most cynical of critic bopping up and down. Whilst no other song might be quite as amazing, the rest are still quirky, fast paced indie-pop hits then will make you singalong and smile in similar doses.

Buy the album and more importantly see them live, bigs things in store with album two, I hope!

4 and 1/2 out of 5.
on 4 March 2008
i didnt know what i was getting myself into when i bought this, wasnt expecting the dualling male & female vocals but i love it.

if you like bit of belle & sebastian then i highly recommend you pruchase this.

quriky, happy & poppy but never too sweet or dull.

buy buy buy
on 27 November 2008
This is a fantastic album which has so much depth both musically and lyrically. Intelligent indi pop with hooks a plenty. I heartily agree with other reviews (above) and comparisons, and would also like to add that LC have a similarity to "The Cardiacs" and a slightly more tenuous link to "Ardade Fire".
on 11 November 2011
This album was truly awesome! "you! me! dancing!" is a legendary track which will undoubtedly make anyone smile. "death to los campesinos" is also a brilliant track and is a cracking opening track which sets the tone of the album. WELL DONE LOS CAMPESINOS!
on 26 November 2010
Los Camposinos are a good band, and some of the tunes on this album are really, really well done. These guys are talented, raw in places, but with an edge to the songs that makes you want to listen again, and again.
on 5 November 2013
If you love them you will have to buy it because it is a great poppy album that goes that right side of dark and this onscene childishness that playfully wraps itself around darkness. Great album buy it if you like them