5.0 out of 5 stars The best Nick Cave album since, erm, the last one
OK, I'll keep this brief. I was given a preview copy of the record, so have no idea what the booklet is like. But the record is fantastic. I would have said "it's the best Nick Cave album in ages", but I thought Lyre of Orpheus/Abbatoir Blues was absolutely brilliant too. Grinderman wasn't my thing, but he seemed to enjoy himself.

Musically it's diverse,...
Published on 19 Feb 2008 by Chris Widgery

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing DD/ DTS 5.1 mix
This review is concerned solely with the DD/ DTS 5.1 mixes.

I've been a Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds fan for a few years now and also enjoy listening to multi-channel audio (MCA), so was overjoyed when I discovered Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! would be released in 5.1. Sadly though, the 5.1 mix is a bit of a let down.

The DD mix was almost unbearable; I even...
Published 23 months ago by Derek J. Johnston

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars seeds just coming to the boil., 8 Mar 2008
Kenneth Hayes "potter" (limerick eire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! (Audio CD)
this is a great album, being a cave fan some of his albums have been patchy over the last decade, grinderman notwithstanding when cave is reunited with the seeds he shines, namely in the brilliiant WE CALL UPON THE AUTHOR with its laconic doop doop chorus backing vocal, the flagship for me though is the closer more news from nowhere it trundles along like a steam train which you could easily envisage cave and co playing on its imbued with a slightly ironic spirit, this album reminds me in parts of murder ballads and nocturama the latter which i would recommend to my fellow listener who asked aboutother seeds material,if you like D L D you'll love nocturama if only for the volatile preaching tome babe i'm on fire which just clocks in at over 15 mins but features some of caves most vitriolic rhyming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pay! Amazon! Pay!, 6 Dec 2012
This review is from: Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! (Audio CD)
Another fantastic record by Nick Cave. A much better record than Amazon has when it comes to paying TAX. Where does all the money they save on TAX go? I wonder?

3.0 out of 5 stars cd review, 23 Dec 2010
This review is from: Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! (Audio CD)
I have a few Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds albums...I just thought this one fell short on some of the others..so for me...6/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Top, 15 Feb 2008
Graham Lynn - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! (Audio CD)
Got this today, Accidents will happen! If the rest of the albums like this then good for me good for you. Njoy

2.0 out of 5 stars Shalalalala always sounds desperate and lazy to me..., 26 Mar 2008
koperniki (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
I'm a big fan of Mr. Cave, and own most of his music. This is the first time that I've ever regretted having purchased one of his CDs since it is rather bad. It completely lacks melodies, any oomph and coherence. It is very fragmented and plain and rather boring. I'm deeply disappointed. I'm giving it 2 stars since I love his voice and he actually sang in maybe one or two of the tracks.

2.0 out of 5 stars I call on this author to explain!, 25 Mar 2008
Richard Gray "rugfoot" (London UK) - See all my reviews
Call me traditional, but I quite like listening to good singing and I quite like good melodies. Nick Cave recites his - well you can't call them songs, because he doesn't sing, that's my point - recites his writings, and he just hasn't bothered with trying to put a melody down on paper. You won't find yourself humming Night of the Lotus Eaters to yourself on the bus on your way to work. I hate to use a cliche, but is there something of the Emperors New Clothes about Nick Cave? We all agree he is the coolest dude around with that handlebar moustache and long hair. And he must be very imposing if you have to interview him (as many have done over the last few weeks), him being so tall and mean-looking. But what substance is there in these, these recitations? You can't hum them, as I've said, and they're not very interesting from a rythmic point of view, and the noise they make isn't very interesting - and you can forget the Bad Seeds on backing vocals. They sound like a cross between the Blockheads and an FA Cup final record, launching into a bad chorus of "Shalalala, shalalala". So what we're left with are his writings. OK so there may be some hidden depths and religious significance but there are also some rotten lines. Even if they're ironic, "Do you wanna dance, do you wanna groove" or "We're gonna have a real cool night" are rubbish. He's like a poor man's Tom Waits, who has melodies, interesting sounds and decent lines. I'd quite like to call on this author to explain!

1.0 out of 5 stars Resurrection Joe, 12 Aug 2008
This review is from: Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! (Audio CD)
To say Nick Cave isn't the force he once was, is like saying Vlad the Impaler had minor anger management issues.
Glories LONG gone, he's resorting to loose balladeering and conventional rock in a vain and desperate attempt to disguise the fact he's got nothing new to say and should've given up on this music thing a long time ago.

A new Nick Cave album is cause for despair where once it was cause for celebration. Ok, you can't go on re-living past triumphs (ask Morrissey) but the guy must have SOME of that early threat and purpose kicking around somewhere. Where's the gusto and urgency that drove classics like 'Nick the Stripper' or 'Mr Clarinet' ?
He's become a rock dullard, a pale imitation, a caricature of all he once meant.

He's got a hopeless band together. The keyboard player looks like Bob the Murderer off 'Twin Peaks' and the rest of them try ham-fistedly to be eccentric, playing at being rock misfits in a Beefheartian sense, but the sad drone of long departed inspiration means the sound is a resounding mis-fire.

Like a once-proud wild animal that's become old and needing to be put out of it's misery, Cave is a sorry sight. He tries vainly: 'Jesus of the Moon' is appalling - melody-less and uninspired. 'Midnight Man' is unco-ordinated pseudo HM dreck in dire need of some serious oomph and pazzaz. Each song is asleep on it's feet, and finally, laboriously, drag 'Dig!! Lazarus Dig!!' sorrowfully along to it's spiritless, uninteresting conclusion.

The spark's gone. It went a long time ago, and what we're left with is lazy MOR for the less discerning 'alternative' masses. Cave always seemed close to breaking point, never far from the loony-bin and his music reeked of that creative morbid intensity. But he doesn't need his straight-jacket any more; he's a summer season, woolly jumper and fabric softener man now.
I bet he even does requests....

1.0 out of 5 stars The Worst Nick Cave Album...Ever, 13 April 2008
Ric (Worthing, UK) - See all my reviews
Buy the single, and spend the rest of the money on the new Elbow album, which IMO is ploughing the same kind of furrow as Cave, but orders of magnitude better than this meagre offering.

I love Nick Cave, but without exception the tracks on this album sound like they've been written in 10 minutes. After the first 45 seconds of each song there's nothing new to hear - it's just plain boring!

Nick, shave off that woeful 'tache, rediscover your love of the Love Song and give us some good tunes!

1.0 out of 5 stars Embarrasing, 11 May 2009
P. Kelly - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! (Audio CD)
This album is so lame I got angry listening to it. There are no good songs, just efficient backing tracks for Cave's sub sixth form lyrics. The whole effect is souless 'music by numbers', the kind where they just throw in a bit of distortion to prove how edgy they are. No wonder Mick Harvey left.......

5.0 out of 5 stars lost for words, 29 Feb 2008
Im lost for words to write a review on the return to form by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds latest offering in Dig Lazarus Dig apart from saying it rocks!

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!!
Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! by Nick Cave (Audio CD - 2008)