4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product ..............when it works!
I have had BT Vision for the past year as an alternative to sky/Sky+. When it works its great. You can record 2 channels simultaneously. Not used the On Demand service much with the exception of music videos.
Published on 2 Mar. 2008 by Mr. Mark A. Cox

1.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT buy one of these
My BT Vision box lasted a month. It was never very good - slow to boot up, noisy when running and also when on standby, often failed to record, and various other problems. Then after about 4 weeks it died completedly. By which I mean that it would just hang when started up, and not get beyond the start screen.

This is where it gets worse. I phoned the Technical...
Published on 18 Dec. 2012 by Mr. A. W. Roe

1.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT buy one of these, 18 Dec. 2012
Mr. A. W. Roe (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BT VISION (Electronics)

This is where it gets worse. I phoned the Technical team at BT, who said I should do a hard reboot of the box, which the engineer *guaranteed* would fix the problem. It didn't: it managed to start, and got halfway through a software update, then Disk Drive error. Since then, nothing but Disk Drive errors.

After 3 weeks and perhaps 9 phone calls to BT, I am no further forward: All they ever want to do is to get you to reboot the box. I am blue in the face with telling them I've done that over and over and over. You can't get a replacement box or cancel your contract unless an engineer comes to visit. So I booked an engineer to come and visit, and stayed home all day today while he didn't come. When I phoned they blithely replied "Oh yes, we have no engineers available at the moment, you'll have to re-book." I said that was unreasonable, and that I can't just take days off work at their convenience. I also pointed out that there's not much point in re-booking if you don't have faith anyone will come.

So the lady on the phone (Mumbai technical team) said she would have a word with the cancellations team, so that they would allow me to cancel my contract. Please bear in mind this is about the 9th phone call I've had with them, and you spend 10 minutes getting through, and so I was on hold yet again, about 30 minutes into this phone call. If I ever hear "New World Symphony" ever again, I will probably scream. Anyway, I digress. After 5 minutes wait, the lady is back, and says she's changed her mind, and she can't get them to cancel without an engineer visit.

So I can't get a new box or a cancellation without an engineer visit. And it seems I can't get an engineer visit because they have no engineers, but are too embarrassed or incompetent to admit it. What can I do?

Don't buy it. Just don't. Or you'll end up angry and ranting like me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Slow and unreliable, 22 Jun. 2013
This review is from: BT VISION (Electronics)
Have just left BT after four years of having a BT Vision and total broadband. Unreliable bb and the vision boxes are slow and very prone to breaking (we had 2 of them)
bb speed suddenly dropped to practically nothing - couldn't even watch on demand. BT couldn't find any problems their end, so wanted to charge me 90 quid for an engineer to come over. Told them to forget it. Still had to pay 30 quid for disconnection fee. Avoid!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Experience, 18 Oct. 2012
This review is from: BT VISION (Electronics)
Our decision to install BT Vision in June 2012 has proved disastrous. It was not possible for us to get the facility to work using the BT Vision User Guide. With help from BT helpline we were able to get BT to work but on switching off at end of day we could not restart next morning. Happily we were able to revert to the set manufacturer's remote control and receive basic programmes but we were unable to receive the BT Vision facilities we paid for. On numerous occasions we referred to helpline, and the best they could do was to lead us through a procedure to get the BT Vision remote control working but never how to hold it working when switching off. One technical adviser recommended we reverted to using the manufacturer's remote control and forget about facilities until the BT service improved. By September we discovered how to reinstate the remote control - not explained in any of the user information provided by BT. Now we must go through a tiresome procedure to get TV working each morning.

Most technical advisers tried to be helpful, though one lady could have been provided by central casting for a bit part as prison guard in Stalag .......... !!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 21 April 2014
C. Shaw "shawzie100" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BT VISION (Electronics)
Absolutely shocking, if I knew now how bad this service is I would never have gone near the thing. The channels stick, the box sticks on so you can only turn it off by the plug........ Bottom line, don't go near this product

1.0 out of 5 stars BT No Vision, 19 Oct. 2013
This review is from: BT VISION (Electronics)
I have been a BT customer for a number of years now.

I recently up graded my BT package. This was due to be activated on the 7th October.

All the equipment arrived as agreed, i plugged the equipment in and found i could not connect my BT Vision box to the internet via my power line adapters.

I contacted the technical department and they confirmed the power line adapters were faulty and i would need new ones, the operator told me he could not place an order until 6pm and that he finished at 4.30 pm so i would need to phone in the following day and it would be sorted out straight away.

I contacted BT the following day and was told the order was still active and new power line adapters could not be ordered and i had to phone back in 24hrs.

This i did to be told that the order was still active and i would have to phone back 2 hours later.

This i did and was told the order was still active and there was nothing the operator could do, he said he would transfer my call to the correct dept, he cut me off and at this point i had enough of being messed around.

I contacted BT again and explained the situation and that i wanted to cancel the order, i was told i could not as i needed to give BT a reasonable amount of time to sort the problem, i asked what a reasonable amount of time was, i had been paying for a service for four days, spent hours on the phone trying to sort the problem out and had been fobbed off several times. The operator could not find the definition for a reasonable amount of time even after asking his manager.

I was asked if i could give BT one more chance to sort this problem out and to give it 48 hrs and he would call me back with a solution. To his credit he did phone back, the order had been closed and he ordered me what he said was the latest power line adapters.

The adapters arrived on the Tuesday and i installed them and they worked.

On the Friday the power line adapters failed and i contacted BT again, i was put through to the faults department and it was confirmed that the adapters had failed. The operator asked me to describe the adapters and then stated that those are the old ones and i will send you the up to date ones, even though i had already been told i would be in receipt of these previously, they are due to arrive this coming Tuesday.

This will mean that in two weeks of paying for this service i have only had little over three days of full service.

BT vision is advertised as an easy and quick way to get on line and to start watching catch up television, that is false advertising that i will take up with the office of fair trading.

The service i have paid for has not been provided and i will also take this up with consumer rights for a refund of my money.

BT is a land mark company that people put their faith in to supply a service second to none, to be reliable, to sort any problems out within a fair time frame and to be honest and open. This is not the BT i have experienced.

Regards

A very unhappy BT customer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 17 Aug. 2013
This review is from: BT VISION (Electronics)
After the supposed "upgrade" to BT Vision, it has been painfully slow, the Red button does not work and it doesn't record either the beginning or the end of a programme. I have cancelled this useless service, but have to pay for a further month before I will be rid of it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Was better, 4 Oct. 2014
This review is from: BT VISION (Electronics)
But the original BT vision service worked better. After all the 'upgrades' I find the screen wording harder to read because the colours have changed from black on white (easy) to dark blue (not so easy). There was a visual indication on the old box when a programme was being recorded. That was useful but it's not available on the new box. On the old box the picture filled the screen and was in proportion. With the new box either you choose to have two black bars top and bottom of the screen or the screen filled but with everything elongated. Some of the new options are useful such as going back in time to select and watch previously shown programmes but overall I think the upgrades should be more truthfully described as downgrades.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bt Vision More like BT Visionless, 27 April 2013
This review is from: BT VISION (Electronics)
Moved house October last year, took BT infinity and BT vision as TV mostly used by the kids for cartoons. Really wish I hadnt now.

Where do I start, after 4 weeks it started rebooting and updating everytime you switched it on. Not that this made any difference to the quality of service, after about an hour it would give up and we'd be able to use the TV. Does any of this help? No, not really.

Currently the menus are slow and painful, I dont record anything on the box, I'd rather watch it on iplayer or something similar. When you finally navigate slowly through the menus to something for the kids to watch, the coming soon programmes are mixed in with the currently available(eventually) programmes. Have you tried explaining to a four year old that even though it says its there sort of, it really isn't?

BT Customer Service. If they could understand my accent (I'm a geordie so its a bit like fluent Japanese apparently), have a modicum of knowledge rather than read the list of 'Solutions' from the script in front of them. Maybe I could then get somewhere. For example you ring up and they ask have you tried resetting/restarting the box. Yes I have conducted a factory reset. Can you please do this to reset the box? Really did you listen to what I told you? Normally it never gets better from there, hang up and redial and hope you get someone better(no chance. I can now reset the box, instigate an update, reset the controller and even do a factory reset, none of which is any good.

New fault 2 days ago, box came up with broadband error. Ok away to BT webpage, run a line check. Nope, there's an error that stops the line check running. Contact BT online support who advise speed test as this would effect the product. Nope speed fine as using fibre optic, however when he tried to run the line test, he couldn't either. Passed onto technical dept and marked for attention. So, they've 'fixed' the line, has it made any difference to the BT Vision box performance?

No it hasn't. Don't get me wrong, when it works its great, I can't fault it. Unfortunately its about as reliable as a paper bag for carrying water. The BT Infinity broadband that it uses was perfect even though occasionally on Netflix it would need to buffer, I assume it was their side.

I've been a customer of BT for approximately 12 years concurrently and possibly 15 in total. The BT Vision product and their out of country customer service is beyond a joke, its painful and demoralising to use. If you ring them for payment assistance or anything to do with the money they should be receiving, its a Scottish call centre, so why can't the helplines be also?

I will not be renewing this after my contract ends and am currently looking to see if I can end it sooner without penalty.

To sum up I love BT Infinity Broadband even with a line fault, never had a problem, keeping that.

BT Vision, nope, that you can keep.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product ..............when it works!, 2 Mar. 2008
Mr. Mark A. Cox (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BT VISION (Electronics)
It started off poor ,many things went wrong [could not watch or delete recordings] but settled down and we have had at least 9 months of trouble free viewing.
However its broken down again. Been onto the technical deptartment for 2hrs now and still not working. Waiting for diagnostics to phone back now. Possibly a new box.
There does not seem to be much alternative to this product and am now waiting to see what 2008 holds.

2.0 out of 5 stars First impressions: Bad, 19 Jun. 2011
Mr. Richard I. Calvert "Asparagus" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BT VISION (Electronics)
Tried my BT Vision+ box for the first time yesterday - here is the information.

Box looks fantastic! Very impressed. Controller looks awful - like a slimy beetle absolutely covered in buttons that I don't want to press.
Plugged it all in - took about 10 minutes to actually start working with TV blinking on and off instructions were good-ish.
Found 33 channels - no Dave, no Fiver or Five* - followed instructions 3 times to get all channels - only found 33 each time.
Picture through the scart lead was appalling - no HDMI cable included. Why not? They're quite cheap you know.
Is set to "widescreen" (ie the shape of a letterbox) couldn't find the setting to change it.
There seem to be a lot of opportunities to accidentally buy BT services - to get to the settings you have to go past multiple "download films here", "Sign up for more channels here" - type menus.
TV guide scrolling was fast! Changing channel was noticeably slower than on my free-view TV.

So:
I unplugged it as watching my regular freeview is better.

My verdict is - due to the lack of channel-finding and slowness I suspect the hardware that controls the freeview is not very good. It seems to be a trojan device for injecting your TV with opportunities to spend money on extra BT services such as extra channels, pay-per-view movies and the rest, but without it actually being useful (ie can't seem to find all the channels). There's no point in me using it. BT! Send me a box that works and I might actually use it! Even though it's a trojan device etc etc.

BT VISION