on 1 February 2012
Wanted to attach an Icy Box ESATA cradle HDD dock to our Mac Pro (early 2009 model) so needed and ESATA PCIe card to give me the correct ports.

Do a lot of video editing and have decided to use bare HDD as 'tapes' to archive and transport video projects (Finalcut Pro X), in theory this will give the speed of a high spec internal hard drive with the portability of a much slower USB or Firewire external drive (without all the different power supplies).

However was worried that theis PCIe card would not work as Lion killed all the 'Silicon Image' based chipset ESATA card drivers (bit of googling revealed that the SONNET card uses the same (I thought) chipset and it was LIKELY that the startech card used the same common chipset, so in theory startech card with Sonnet drivers 'should' work.

Received the card today, had already downloaded and installed the Sonnet > Tempo_SATA_E1P_E2P_E342P_V1.2.6.pkg < driver which was updated in Dec 2011 so is pretty new.

Plugged card into a spare slot, plugged Icy box sata HDD cradle into card. Plugged 3.5inch HD into cradle.....

Mounted fine (after being asked to format with Disk Utility). The whole setup works perfectly! Very pleased.

Transfers are VERY quick and no glitches, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

System>
Mac Pro early 2009
Processor 2 x 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory 16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74)

ICYBOX eSATA HDD Dock Cradle
Startech ESATA 2 Port PCI-E CARD
Sonnet Tempo SATA E2P (ver. 1.2.6)
1313 comments|13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 April 2011
This is a nice, cheap way to add a couple of eSATA ports to a PC. It comes with a low profile bracket which can quickly be fitted in place of the regular one so it's good for PCs in compact cases. My PC recognised it as a 3 Gbit/s SATA II device and performance is correspondingly very good. You have to be a little wary of the way Startech and others describe some products: they say "eSATA-300" but this does not mean SATA III or SATA 3.0 which would offer 6 Gbit/s speed; it refers (colloquially and confusingly) to the theoretical 3.0 Gbits/s speed of SATA II. Don't you love devious marketing people? No, me neither. Anyway, as there don't seem to be any 6 Gb/s enclosures even available this probably won't affect many people.

The card comes with a driver disk and a simple manual. Physical installation is as simple as can be. I didn't use it in OS X or Windows so I can't comment on those drivers. The Linux kernel contains a driver for the controller (Silicon Image 3132) while port multiplier is enabled by default so it works automatically with any current or recent Linux based OS. The card works as a port multiplier so you can use it with enclosures which use a single eSATA cable to connect multiple disks to your PC. I'm finding this really useful as the single eSATA port built into my PC's board doesn't have this feature and until now I'd had to use USB 2.0 to connect an enclosure containing two 1TB disks and the slow speed was frustrating. Now I connect using eSATA and the transfer speeds have increased hugely.

This card is ideal unless you have an enclosure which supports the latest 6 Gbit/s SATA III (and as far as I can tell there aren't any).
on 25 May 2011
A while back I had an Acer Aspire EasyStore H340 Windows Home Server that was running out of space and also took a long time to backup using conventional USB 2.0 ports. Since that server has a built in eSata port on the back, I though... great lets buy a dual disk eSata enclosure and that will fix the problem! Right? Wrong!
The eSata port (controller) on the back of the server does not support port multiplier. The server would not see any disks even if they were configured internally in the enclosure as a big single RAID 0 virtual drive.
The solution was this card. It solved all problems and still gave me an extra port if I in the future want to add yet another enclosure to the server to increase the now 10TB of available store to possibly 14 TB. Just thinking now that the 1st hard disk I ever had, had a wooping 5 MB of storage...
I have now the 2 disk enclosure of which 1 is adding to the disk pool in the home server and the other is used for (very fast) backups (well much faster than USB 2.0 in any case).
Very happy with the card so far. If you find yourself in a similar situation you can't go wrong with this card.
on 14 August 2013
the card worked first time ,
with the Hornettek Enterprise
B006ZLTI56
i removed a USB 3.0 card and replaced it with this one
perfect*
the card has a built in Port Multiplier which enumerated all the drives.

there are two esata external ports so i should be able to upgrade or
add another device

very happy
on 7 September 2012
Originally bought this to pair up with an IcyBox eSATA Dock using Windows 7. Worked fine. I wasn't hung up about transfer speeds, I just wanted to be able to plug in disks, back stuff up to them, and them store them somewhere safe.

Recently decided I needed a NAS solution for my home network and re-purposed an old PC (approx 8 years old) using NAS4Free. Decided to chuck this card in to the box and it worked a treat. No need to load drivers, NAS4Free detected it fine.

Some people have complained it's unreliable using a 32-bit version of NAS4Free, but most are reporting it's stable with the 64-bit version (which I am using).

Have given it 5* for the ease of use. Worked hassle free with both Windows 7 and NAS4Free.
on 30 October 2012
First, the delivery: received today via FedEx, which was unexpected. Box was pretty tatty and certainly didn't qualify for "as new", but the device itself appears to be in perfect condition, and all expected accessories and documentation were included. Given I got this for less than a tenner all-in, I'm more than satisfied.

Now, the product: the chief highlight is that this item works with OS X 10.8.2 "Mountain Lion" (not to mention earlier versions too). For full details, see the review here by Mr. A. P. Smith, with follow-up comments. In brief: I was able to confirm that data integrity was maintained and that speeds are definitely improved over USB 2.0, but that booting isn't supported.

Even briefer: two thumbs up.
on 4 October 2013
I purchased this under the impression it would work with my mid-2010 MacPro - lots of previous buyers saying it works really well with OS X Lion etc. I don't know if the drivers have changed but I had no luck getting this card to work with Mac OS X Lion. Tech support from StarTech.com was great, but they confirmed it's not supported - but I was welcome to try 3rd party drivers. They recommended their 1-port eSATA card (1 external, 1 internal SATA port) as it's compatible with Lion and Mountain Lion, so I've got that on order. So yes, this card will probably be brilliant for PC users, just not Mac users - in my experience! Good service from Amazon.
on 30 August 2013
Card arrived promptly. Put it in the PC and it installed automatically (Win 7 Ultimate). Didn't ask for the supplied drivers, but I installed them afterwards anyway. Seems to be working fine. Got the card to go with a Hornettek Enterprise 4X (Quad Bay Enclosure). Recognised the drives straight away when switching to eSATA from USB3. I'd read that you need an eSATA card with multiport and this card has that. Transfer rates around 90 MB/sec. I'm using WD Caviar Green drives cannibalised from WD Worldbooks and the transfer rate for those on the WD inbuilt USB 1 was only about 15MB/sec. A great improvement and no WD encryption!
on 4 February 2015
Installation was, of course, simple. It comes with a drivers disk, although I downloaded the latest drivers direct from the manufacturer's website. Windows recognises the device, but doesn't install its own drivers (which I preferred). The installation of the drivers was easy, although do be advised: once the installation is complete, the software restarts Windows without prompting. I have installed this card in a Windows 2012 (64 bit) server. It works. I have 3x 3Tb SATA drives, in an enclosure. All drives were seen and work as I expected. I suspect it will work with 32 bit Windows, up to and including Windows 7 and 8.
on 13 January 2012
This ESATA card represents excellent value for money. The package looks professional (some lesser models come in tacky packaging, but this looks like a quality product from the outset). You even get a printed manual and a driver CD, not to mention a lo-profile bracket should your system need one. Installation was effortless. Just plug in, screw in, switch on and install driver. Card was up and running in Windows XP SP3 in 5 minutes. My BD-RW drive is now connected via ESATA and works flawlessly. Great product.