5.0 out of 5 stars Startech PCIe card works on Macs - OSx Lion 10.7.2 with Sonnet E2P Driver
Wanted to attach an Icy Box ESATA cradle HDD dock to our Mac Pro (early 2009 model) so needed and ESATA PCIe card to give me the correct ports.

Do a lot of video editing and have decided to use bare HDD as 'tapes' to archive and transport video projects (Finalcut Pro X), in theory this will give the speed of a high spec internal hard drive with the portability...
Published on 1 Feb 2012 by Mr. A. P. Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Works ok, but doesn't seem very fast
I'm using this with a Startech SATA HD Dock, and the transfer speed I'm getting is not special and also variable. It's not as fast as internal to internal, but faster than internal to USB. There may be other factors involved (e.g. I'm using an old IDE disk with Startech IDE to SATA adapter). Overall works ok, and may perform better with a SATA disk plugged in.
Published 16 months ago by Anonymous

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent addition to PC, 28 Aug 2013
This review is from: StarTech.com 2 Port PCI Express eSATA Controller Adapter Card (Personal Computers)
Easy to install and configure on my windows 7 PC which has now been upgraded to windows 8 and this still works perfectly!

5.0 out of 5 stars StarTech.com 2 Port PCI Express eSATA Controller Adapter Card, 11 May 2013
The StarTech.com 2 Port PCI Express eSATA Controller Adapter Card works as advertised. Good and fast. And also rather easy to install in my PC

3.0 out of 5 stars Works ok, but doesn't seem very fast, 14 Mar 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to install and configure, 10 Jan 2013
I bought this for my HP Proliant MicroServer running Windows 2008 R2 because I needed an eSata port with port multiplication (the eSata on the Microserver is the basic type that can only reference one physical disk). The good reviews I read from other buyers convinced me this was the card to get and I wasn't wrong.

The card comes with all the necessary drivers (although the instructions also give the website to download the latest version from) and both a full height and half height backing plate. Once plugged in and the drivers installed I plugged in my drive enclosure and was able to see all of the drives installed in it.

Fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Straightforward installation - works very well., 3 Jan 2013
Very pleased with this item. It solved my problem of the peculiar implementation of the built-in eSata port on my Dell XPS. Using it with the Startech 4 bay eSata dock plus my original 1 bay dock I can now run 5 docked Sata drives at the same time if I'm minded to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compatible with 10.8.2 Mountain Lion!, 30 Oct 2012
First, the delivery: received today via FedEx, which was unexpected. Box was pretty tatty and certainly didn't qualify for "as new", but the device itself appears to be in perfect condition, and all expected accessories and documentation were included. Given I got this for less than a tenner all-in, I'm more than satisfied.

Now, the product: the chief highlight is that this item works with OS X 10.8.2 "Mountain Lion" (not to mention earlier versions too). For full details, see the review here by Mr. A. P. Smith, with follow-up comments. In brief: I was able to confirm that data integrity was maintained and that speeds are definitely improved over USB 2.0, but that booting isn't supported.

Even briefer: two thumbs up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with NAS4Free (64-bit), 7 Sep 2012
Jeff Eldridge (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
Originally bought this to pair up with an IcyBox eSATA Dock using Windows 7. Worked fine. I wasn't hung up about transfer speeds, I just wanted to be able to plug in disks, back stuff up to them, and them store them somewhere safe.

Recently decided I needed a NAS solution for my home network and re-purposed an old PC (approx 8 years old) using NAS4Free. Decided to chuck this card in to the box and it worked a treat. No need to load drivers, NAS4Free detected it fine.

Some people have complained it's unreliable using a 32-bit version of NAS4Free, but most are reporting it's stable with the 64-bit version (which I am using).

Have given it 5* for the ease of use. Worked hassle free with both Windows 7 and NAS4Free.

4.0 out of 5 stars works fine..., 23 April 2012
Worked fine for windows 7...Installed it's own drivers but so didn't need the disc. Speed seems good although have not tested it for speed yet but working off hard drives is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value For Money, 13 Jan 2012
This ESATA card represents excellent value for money. The package looks professional (some lesser models come in tacky packaging, but this looks like a quality product from the outset). You even get a printed manual and a driver CD, not to mention a lo-profile bracket should your system need one. Installation was effortless. Just plug in, screw in, switch on and install driver. Card was up and running in Windows XP SP3 in 5 minutes. My BD-RW drive is now connected via ESATA and works flawlessly. Great product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not working, 30 Sep 2013
The item arrived a head of the estimated date, but I could not get it to work and I don’t have the time to waste.