5.0 out of 5 stars was intially very happy with purchase-update
Being shallow, I fancied adding another piece of stainless steel kit to glitz up my kitchen worksurfaces. The kettle has a steel band around the bottom of a clear plastic jug. As another manufacturer recalled its glass jugged ketttle recently, the plastic is actually very reassuring and seems pretty tough so far.

In true 21st century kitsch style you get a blue...
Published on 25 Mar 2008 by Julie Cutler

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, but does it last?
Published on 1 Feb 2009 by Mowbray

5.0 out of 5 stars was intially very happy with purchase-update, 25 Mar 2008
Julie Cutler (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Breville JK147 Blue Ice Jug Kettle (Kitchen & Home)

In true 21st century kitsch style you get a blue LCD light illuminating the frantic bubbling water. You push a button to automatically open the lid for filling (all nice and easy). A flat clear projecting peg at the bottom provides the on switch- although I did a double take in the first week because I'm so used to pushing in a button at the top to power up. There is no minimum marking and the measurements are in cups (1.5 cups fills a mug). The fact that you can see the complete water level as opposed to just a cut away has meant that I am more conscious of how much water I put in -which will hopefully mean a few pence saved off my electricity bill.

There is a little water condensation/drip on the metal power base at times and I've taken to mopping this up (never noticed it on my previous white jug kettle). And it does boil faster than its predecessor, so I can feel less guilty about replacing something just on the basis of looks.

===review update 20 July 2008===== More and more I kept hearing a strange noise coming from the kettle as though it was trying to boil- Occasionally it refused to cut off and kept fiercely boling. I've tagged this down to the absolute necessity to keep the base wiped from any drips- otherwise it gets in the electrics (ie the central columnn the kettle sits on). My other half has the previous more opaque version at his work address and this does not leave drips on the base. It just seems to be down to the angle of the spout- rather bizarre as I've never noticed this on any other kettles.

Since I've started meticulously wiping up the drips it seems to be behaving fine.

===== further update 30 sept 2008=====
My other half's older work model - the Breville JK27- has just exploded into about 20 pieces (as he foolishly assumed that it could be left unattended to turn itself off). Truly after reading all the reviews on this site I query what has happened to the humble kettle. Getting a model that works and doesn't alter the taste of the water seems an incredible battle. If you do get a kettle that you are pleased with after a good run in I urge you to enlighten the rest of us- we need your help!

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, but does it last?, 1 Feb 2009
Mowbray (Norwich, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breville JK147 Blue Ice Jug Kettle (Kitchen & Home)
I bought one of these kettles about 2 years ago, because I also am shallow enough to like things to look good provided they also work well. This kettle works well, and I like the fact you can see how much water you are boiling, so you are less likely to boil too much. The blue light and the furiously boiling water are an added bonus! However, I did have a problem with it not cutting out after it reached boiling point. It was still under guarantee, so I took it back to John Lewis, who pointed out that it probably needed descaling (obviously I felt guilty at this point because I hadn't thought to descale it), but they very kindly gave me a replacement. The new one I have had for almost a year and have descaled it twice. I now have a problem in that it has sprung a leak. I cannot see where it is coming from, but there is a definite leak and the base plate gets covered in water. No explosions so far, but am slightly concerned and I am now looking to buy another kettle. My kettle is still under guarantee but as it was pointed out to me that I should not bring this kettle back as they were not really obliged to replace the first one! So in conclusion I would say this is a very attractive kettle that works well, although in our hard water area it very soon acquires a coating of limescale. As to the leak, maybe it's a one off or maybe they are not built to last?

1.0 out of 5 stars Was good, but now it's gooing in the bin, 29 Oct 2008
A. Hadwin (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breville JK147 Blue Ice Jug Kettle (Kitchen & Home)
Wrote a cracking review for this kettle a few months ago. Now i've deleted it because...yes it's leeking like everyone elses.

It looks good, but doesn't last. Look elsewhere!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not all it's cracked up to be, 6 April 2009
This review is from: Breville JK147 Blue Ice Jug Kettle (Kitchen & Home)
Bought this kettle as a replacement for a kenwood kettle which had only lasted 2 years. However, this seems an eternity compared to the 3 months use i got out of the Breville Jug kettle. It developed multiple small cracks in the plastic base within 2 months of use. These cracks gradually joined to form larger cracks which eventually forced me to stop using it for worry of boiling water spilling out suddenly.Yes the kettle looks good and boils quickly but less than 3 months for a kettle? This particular kettle also seems to collect limescale more quickly although it may just be the clear body shows it up more obviously. Credit to amazon though, a quick phone call resilted in a replacement being sent within a few days. Hopefully this one will last longer than the first.

Update 25/11/10: DO NOT BUY THIS KETTLE!!!
Like many reviewers on this page, my kettle is now leaking profusely from the base resulting in a pool of water on the charger- Amazon have refused to replace the "replacement" as the original order is over a year ago -Shoddy customer service

1.0 out of 5 stars Leak, 1 July 2009
Andrew Jenkins (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breville JK147 Blue Ice Jug Kettle (Kitchen & Home)
Soon after purchasing the kettle it began to leak, slowly at first and I thought that it was not a leak but water on the outside dripping down. Some 12 months later I have to replace as it as the cloth I place under the base is sopping after each use and I have to empty any water left over after each use. Oh yes, the first boil caused discolouration of the internal base where, I assume the electric coil underneath was too close to the base. All in all not recommended

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks good but Leaks badly - DO NOT BUY, 23 Jan 2010
C. Evans (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breville JK147 Blue Ice Jug Kettle (Kitchen & Home)
I first purchased a JK147 around a year ago. It did the job and looked good however after around 10 months it developed a leak around the base. Unable to find my proof of purchase to return in under guarentee I ended up buying another. After 4 months said kettle developed exactly the same leak as the first. I see from these reviews I am not the only customer to experience this problem and also notice the problem seams to be associated with other Breville models. I am not going to bother to waste further money by sending it back to Breville but will simply buy a kettle from another manufacturer. My advice is simple - Don't buy Breville kettles!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this kettle., 14 Oct 2008
This review is from: Breville JK147 Blue Ice Jug Kettle (Kitchen & Home)
I purchased this kettle two days ago from Comet.
(Would have got it from Amazon, which was cheaper,
but husband had a credit note.)

I had used a gas stove top kettle for years,
and I cannot believe how fast this kettle boils.
When boiling for two cups, I hardly have enough
time to get the sugar in the cups before it's done.

My main reason for choosing this kettle was cutting
down on water wastage, (on my husband's part, who
would fill the old kettle to the top just for one cup),
But he will need to make me a few more cups of tea
before I can say that it has worked.

In reference to the other reviewer's comments about
the water drip, and electrics;
I just went to see if my kettle had the same problem.
My kettle did have some drips on the base.
I wiped these off, then I filled the kettle again
to different levels, I poured fast, slow etc, over
and over again, keeping my eye on the spout.
I tried really hard to get a dribble or a drip,but I
couldn't, no matter what I did.

So the design of the spout (for me) is ruled out,
and that left the question of how the water got onto
the base.

I realized after more experimentation, that it was
caused when filling, then pulling the kettle
away whilst the tap is still dripping, (onto the side).

So thank you to the previous reviewer, now I shall
always fully turn of the tap before removing the kettle
from under it, and hopefully I will not have to endure
any kitchen explosions any time soon.

One final note;
If you live in a hard water area, like I do, your lovely
clear plastic will have a very fine film of lime-scale
within two days of use. So be prepared for more regular
de-scaling.

In summing up, I highly recommend this kettle.

It's fast.
It's environmentally friendly.
It looks stunning. (Especially during use, which the
online photos don't really show).
You'll be glad you bought this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks Nice but won't Last, 23 July 2009
This review is from: Breville JK147 Blue Ice Jug Kettle (Kitchen & Home)
Bought this kettle because it looked good and had nice blue LED lights. After 18 months it has started boiling in installments, switching itself off and on intermittently. I emailed breville who sent me an automatic response including the phrase "terms and conditions of the warranty." And "sympathise with your predicament" but basically didn't care. Conclusion is spend a lot less for a kettle that lasts longer!

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks Good . . . BUT . . ., 2 Feb 2009
This review is from: Breville JK147 Blue Ice Jug Kettle (Kitchen & Home)
An expensive kettle that looks good but quality wise lasted a month. The base seemed to have a loose connection. No power getting to the kettle. Bought through Amazon direct from NICHE GIFT SHOP - was still under guarantee when I made my complaint. Nobody seemed to get emails - buck passed from one to another and then no communication. Would I buy another one - NO. Would I buy from Niche Gift Shop - NO.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor build quality/durability - stay clear, 4 Jan 2010
R. Stone - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breville JK147 Blue Ice Jug Kettle (Kitchen & Home)
I have had this kettle less than a year and it is now falling apart: the chrome plate on the top has just dropped off prompting me to write this review!

On a more serious note, more often than not this kettle will not switch off whilst boiling.

Breville JK147 Blue Ice Jug Kettle