4.0 out of 5 stars Retro style that works
Published on 3 Dec. 2009 by S. Brass

3.0 out of 5 stars Wesco - Classic Line 2.0Lt Stovetop Kettle - Red
The lid covering the main opening in which you pour water to boil is hard to get off. The spout lid does not make for a full pour. It looks great, seems sturdy. Delivered on time.
Published on 3 Jun. 2011 by sundaymission

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Retro style that works, 3 Dec. 2009
S. Brass (oxfordshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wesco Classic Line Stainless Steel 2 Litre Stove Top Kettle, Red (Kitchen & Home)
I wanted a whistling kettle that had style and worked well. My Wesco red kettle does just that. It looks impressive and boils water very quickly, everything you could ask for in fact. The silicon handle makes pouring safe and comfortable and the wide base makes good use of the gas burner. My only criticism is the mechanism for opening the spout can catch the unwary finger if you aren't careful...and that can hurt. Overall I would recommend the Wesco kettle if you want one that is a bit different.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 1 Jun. 2009
I bought this kettle - after a long search - for my old mother. She refuses to use an electric kettle & boils water for her tea in a little pan on the stove. Sometimes she forgets the pan is boiling & so it boils dry - I figured its only a matter of time before she burns the house down. Hence the whistling kettle.
My review applies to this purpose.
Good:
- Looks lovely!
- Whistle is very homely sounding & loud enough without being piercing.
- The whistle cannot be left off by mistake - the lever to open it is spring-loaded & shuts when you take your finger off it. (Most other stove-top models either have a removable whistle or one which can stick open.)
Not so good:
- Its big - not ideal for making just one or two cuppas. But to be fair I looked everywhere & couldn't find a small kettle that was fit for my purpose.
- Its quite heavy.
- The spout is positioned so that you really have to tilt the thing at a massive angle to get all the water out - which is quite awkward. Again not ideal if there wasn't much water in there to start with - ie just 1 or 2 mugs worth.
- The spout is quite small so just a little tricky to fill via the spout from the tap. However you can of course remove the main lid & use that to fill up.

I give it 5 stars as its the best I came across for my purpose.

Whilst writing this review - it strikes me that the issue of having a small kettle just to make 1 or 2 cups of tea/coffee - is also very relevant to energy conservation.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as it looks, 29 May 2010
J. Timmins (UK) - See all my reviews
Totally happy with it. If there is one tiny criticism it's that pouring the very last bit out is tricky. The whistle is loud enough I hear it in the garden; the trigger to open the spout is the best I've used (of two or three). Actually I have a camping kettle that is pretty good that way.

And if you like the looks it looks better for real than the pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love This Kettle!, 10 Jan. 2011
We have been through a dozen or so hob kettles and this is the Rolls Royce of them all!
Why?
1. Handle feels nice and doesn't get too hot to pick up
2. Whistle is gentle then loud but not ear-piercing (even bearable with a hangover)
3. Whistle is attached so can't lose it - moving parts are metal not plastic
4. Feels solid but not as heavy as a cast iron one
5. Spout is high enough and close enough to body not to get hot from the gas flame, so you don't get spurted with hot water when you try to pour it.
6. Lovely clunky sound when you press the button to lift the whistle
Love this kettle!

3.0 out of 5 stars Wesco - Classic Line 2.0Lt Stovetop Kettle - Red, 3 Jun. 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!, 26 Feb. 2011
We are really happy with this kettle. We looked at various different hob top kettles and decided to go for this one based on previous reviews and of course looks! We have an induction hob and it works perfectly, boiling quickly and most importantly, because of the silicone handle and whistle trigger, the parts you need to touch don't get hot. A great kettle, that we would definitely recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made & fun kettle, 11 May 2012
Bought to use on our induction job & it's just as fast as our previous plug kettle.
Really pleased with kettle which feels far more robust than its competitors & love the personality of the whistle when it's finished - a real attention seeker!

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Build Quality, 28 Feb. 2013
N. Lee "nickelarse" (Leeds UK) - See all my reviews
We bought this for use on our AGA. It boils incredibly fast on the induction hob, but merely fast on the AGA, since the base isn't entirely flat (compared to saucepans, which knock spots off the induction hob when it comes to fast boiling).

Positive points: the whistle mechanism is quite cool, and the whistle itself is pleasingly deafening. Looks great, in a weird kind of way.

Negative points: the biggest problem is build quality - within a week, the knob had snapped off the lid, meaning the lid couldn't be removed without using a knife, meaning filling was a pain (the whistle doesn't flip back far enough to allow filling through the spout).

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks fab sitting on my new mini range electric cooker., 21 Feb. 2013
I've only used it a handful of times so far but it looks great and the whistle is not screeching but starts off very gently and gradually gets louder and its loudest if you leave it to "scream" it does get a little loud - but I'm enjoying it so far and tell my husband that hes having special whistling kettle tea when I use it. The only drawback is that it takes a little longer to boil than an electric kettle - but you just need to get used to the difference. I'm very happy with my purchase and hope that there will be no issues with the little nob on top of the lid as mentioned by other reviewers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wesco kettle, 9 Feb. 2011
Kettle looks classy sitting on top of my stanley cooker. Boils really quickly and like the easy opening handle for the spout.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›