5.0 out of 5 stars CORRECT FINANCIAL ADVICE EASILY READ AND UNDERSTOOD
Published on 5 Feb 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars The book is good, but absolutely awful formatting
The book itself is excellent and gives some great advice.
Unfortunately it has some major problems with formatting. Table of contents is present only at the beginning of the book and cannot be accessed from any other part of the book without scrolling all the way to the beginning. Absolutely not clear where the chapters start and end.
The formatting of the key...
Published 2 months ago by valo

5.0 out of 5 stars CORRECT FINANCIAL ADVICE EASILY READ AND UNDERSTOOD, 5 Feb 1999
By A Customer
Most personal finance books are written to be clear, and to get you to save money, invest it well, prepare for your future and so forth. But the message often does not stick. This beautifully told tale takes those important lessons and conveys them to you like you have received them from a loving grandparent or parent. The care and concern for your well-being are evident in this book, and you feel joy in following the advice. This book is as heart-warming a treatment of how to have more financial success as I have ever read. If you want to share one book with your children about what the rules of financial success are, share this book. I underlined key points in my copy, and I can review the lessons that I need in five minutes or less. I look at those lessons several times a year, and take pleasure in have heeded their message. I wish I could write a book this good. If you have financial problems today, you may feel that you cannot recover. You should be more optimistic. Start following these rules as soon as you can, and your situation will improve remarkably. You will earn an enormous return on your investment in this book. Having made that first great investment, you will soon learn to make many more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a fine wine, this book gets better with age, 15 Feb 2005
This book educates the reader about the way to improve one's personal finances. It uses a parable format to explain how two friends learnt how to improve their poor financial situation. They sought the advice of a friend whose wealth appeared to be limitless. Amongst the parables are references to modern day examples. It was the letter sent by the English University Professor that I found most inspiring.
The writing style is old English. This does make it hard to follow at first. It will take a chapter or two to 'get to grips' with the style. From there on it is easy and will soon become easy to read. It is not a long book so will start slow and finish fast.
I can highly recommend anyone to read this book. The advice offered is simple. If followed it will inevitably lead the reader to an improved financial future. I felt empowered and richer as soon as I read the final words. I will not be offering this book for resale as I continually refer to the sound advice that has lasted thousands of years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than a MBA!, 27 July 1998
By A Customer
This is the easiest book to read about managing one's personal financial affairs, and the best book I can recommend. After two degrees, I still haven't read any book or magazine that has had more impact on my personal financial situation. If one truly lives by the principles listed, they will have a successful financial future. I've given away many of these books for weddings, graduations, and personal gifts - It is worth more than any other financial gift one can give. It teaches people to be self reliant, even if their present situation seems financially hopeless. There is a solution.

5.0 out of 5 stars One word: * Powerful *, 10 July 1998
By A Customer
Having just finished this book, I am looking ahead to my financial future with confidence, because I am armed with the knowledge I learned from this book. The story is all about life management, from debt management to sound investment perspectives, to just good old fashioned work ethic.
Why am I taking the time to write down this review? Because the knowledge within the text is *powerful*. I have always had a strong drive for creating financial security for myself, but having just graduated from college, I join the 'Real World' with a significant amount of school debt. These goals and dreams may be temporarily postponed, but I see the principles outlined in the text to be crucial to my being able to manage my income, expenses, and debt.
I have no doubt that the lessons I've acquired from this text will serve me well in the future.
I've already recommended it to a friend, and I am ready to do the same with my family, or just about anyone else who would have a sincere interest in improving the quality of his or her life through a sound financial management program.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sound financial advice, 1 Jan 2005
This book offers you some simple - yet powerful - and proven techniques to manage your finances.
If your dream is to become financially free - this book is for you! While the theses in this book can be hard to apply to your own situation - the rewards will be worth your endurance.
Built around stories from the ancient Babylonian civilization this book offers you advice on managing your finances and become financially free.
In this particular version an "old english" style of writing is used - but I believe a version in contemporary english has been released.
Well worth a read!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Principals for Financial Independence are Timeless, 3 Feb 1999
By A Customer
I found this book fascinating in that the successful financial principles of 6000 years ago still apply today. With all the resources and technology my company and industry employs today it really struck me that it still starts with one making a fundamental decision to do the things that will result in reducing debt, protecting ones assets and income, and increasing same assets by investing responsibly and systematically. It's also fascinating to see that the entrepreneur made up as much of the wealthy one percent as they do today! This book is part of my clients and personal financial analyst trainees must read list! Greg Bednarz, Personal Finacial Analyst, Primerica Financial Services

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, especially for learning to save money and grow your nest egg, 16 Nov 2010
This book is a great read because the stories are told in a parable style which help you to understand the principles behind money management and how to grow your nest egg for the future. It highlights where most people go wrong where it concerns their spending habits and how you can avoid having little or no money in the future. The phrase it taught me was that:

"For every coin you earn, part of it is yours to keep" and there can be nothing more important to take forward in life in order to be debt free and living within your means.

I have followed this sage advice, especially when I was looking for the best ISA rate at [...] for my savings and I now have no debt and no worries as everything is budgeted for. There are no surprises when things go wrong with the house or car because I put money away for those issues and when the money isn't required, it's making my wife and I some cash interest too. It's a win-win situation for us both. I learnt all these great principles from this book. Buy it now - it will save and make you a packet!

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST - READ for anybody who seeks financial freedom, 7 Dec 1998
By A Customer
The concepts are simple, the illustration of these concepts is brilliant and presented in an entertaining and simple way.
Once upon a time I had $10,000 in credit card debt. I found this book on my brother's bookshelf, he had two copies so I borrowed one. I employed the principles described in this book, and two years later I had no debt and $15,000 in cash.
If you have no money at all and think you are barely staying afloat, you should have bought this book yesterday. If you are earning six figures and keeping up with the Jones next store, but never really seeming to get ahead, this book will give you some solutions. You can read it in a day or a weekend...then start collecting money for the rest of your life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast, common sense, will stick in your mind, 22 Sep 2009
This book, written in old biblical english provides common sense financial advices through a series of fables.
The precepts are simple yet true and account for universal human emotions.

The main success secrets are:
1. First fatten your purse
2. Control your expenses (Save at least 10%)
3. Make your gold multiply
4. Increase your knowledge by seeking expert advice
5. Protect your capital
6. Own your house
7. Insure a future income
8. Increase your ability to earn

5.0 out of 5 stars Plan for your future by thinking long-term, 25 Feb 1997
By A Customer
I have read this book twice myself and have given copies as gifts to friends. This book reinforces the immense need to take a long-term view of financial planning. It simply encourages discipline and encouragement to develop and stick to a plan. At just a few dollars, this book may be the best investment I will find in my lifetime. Written in simple terms, the concepts are simple. Nevertheless, as time marches on, I believe greater percentages of our society are financially unprepared for the present, much less the future. This book could help anyone, at any income level, improve on their current financial situation.

The Richest Man in Babylon