Format: DVD|Change

on 26 August 2009
This is a good dvd with good picture and sound quality for an excellent price. A word of warning however, if you already own or are thinking of purchasing the Planet Earth boxset it should be known that the vast majority of the footage of this documentary is ripped from the Attenbrough series, and as far as the narration by Patrick Stewart is concerned, even that has been 'borrowed' from Sir David's documentaries. In conclusion The far superior and more extensive Planet Earth series is recommended over this, but for the price this is a bargain.
11 comment|72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 April 2008
This Blu ray is amazing. Pin sharp picture, full HD 1080P. At just over an hour and a half, the film never lags, and the narration is superb by Patrick Stewart.

Just a note to those who already own the Blu Ray of 'Planet Earth' that the BBC released last year - around 10-20% of the footage appears to be either the same or similar, especially in the Polar Bear and Cubs segment.

There is enough new material to warrant a purchase, however. Watching through my PS3 console on a 42" Toshiba HD tv and the picture is pretty much pin-sharp in every scene, unlike the Planet Earth release that was a mixture of standard and high definition and often looked it!
on 28 April 2008
This is by far the best quality dvd we have seen yet. We've seen movies on blu-ray, but this just blows them out of the water. The picture quality is absolutely amazing! If you are investing in a blu-ray player, we would highly recommend this as a first blu-ray dvd purchase!
on 27 May 2009
This is an excellent companion to the BBC's Blu-ray version of Planet Earth. The presentation is different - and in some respects better. The quality of the camera work is equal to that of Planet Earth. Make sure that your HDTV has 24p Film setting switched on, so that the time-lapse shots of seasonal change etc are smooth. A very worthy addition to a Blu-ray documentary collection.
on 8 May 2010
Most of customers are familiar with this kind of nature documentary movies so my attention is to focus on video/audio
quality of this blu-ray item.On my full HD 50" plasma picture is excellent and on some events is above all my expectations (simply perfect).One of the best in my blu-ray collection for 1080p HD video presentation.
Audio is very good but not spectacular as Video production.
Enjoy advantages of blu-ray with your quality full HD equipment.
on 11 January 2009
If you have Planet Earth save your money. 85 to 90 percent of this BluRay content is taken from Planet Earth, with most of the story lines by Patrick Stewart mirroring the narrative of David Attenborough. Remarkably a great deal of the content does not even match the superb HD quality of that previously released on "Planet Earth" (perhaps the transfer, I don't know) and could best be described as generally DVD quality. The BBC has clearly tried to squeeze some extra mileage and cash out of Planet Earth by releasing this BluRay. Disappointed and conned is the best I could describe.
on 27 August 2008
Yes I shall!!! I'll put it simply, this DVD is FANTASTIC! Okay I know it's virtually all taken from the BBC series 'planet earth' but so what? Personally I could never see myself sitting down and wading my way through hours and hours of footage spread over 5 discs, so for me this is a very good compromise.

Look at the price and then look at what you get. A feature length hour and a half of all the best bits edited together beautifully. Patrick Stewarts commentary hits just the right note, and the musical score is both powerful and very moving.

I think the content has been well covered already by others and I can only agree that it is indeed a marvelous spectacle from begining to end.

The thing that stood out for me however was the incredible quality in both picture and sound. Obviously filmed in hi-def this is one of those DVDs that will show your large screen TV off at its absolute best, the vivid colours and sharpness of the picture is simply amazing. So if you want to impress your friends with your new 50inch plasma then this is a must have! The sound when played through a cinema system completely immerses you in the whole experience, (just listen to the birds in the forest and you'll see what I mean).

So for around a fiver it's got to be worth a look, trust me, you won't be sorry.
on 10 April 2008
Having just invested in Blu-ray technology I wondered what disc to start with. I thought natural history would be a sensible initial investment. I was not wrong. The HD of 'EARTH' certainly delivers and the colours and fine detail are worth the investment. I heartily recommend it.
on 10 February 2010
I am just commenting on the fact that there is this 'Earth' apparently from liongate studios. With Patrick Stewert narrating and there is also 'Earth' from Disney Studios, also with Patrick stewert Narrating. Can anyone shed any light on the difference if there is one???

Tekz
on 27 March 2008
I ordered my Earth Blu-ray on March 10th, so i received one of the first.
But after I watched the feature, I noticed that it was ansych. The audiotrack was delayed for about 1 second. In most of the scenes you won't notice, but in some it's obvious.

I told amazon, and got a refund, cause the item was not available anymore on March 19th (2 days after it's release!)

Now it's avaliable again, can anyone who oders it now, write if it's a synch version now?
(In one of the scenes you should easily see it, its at running time 01h17m. You see whales on the oceans surface, flapping their fins on the water.
If the "flapping" sound is in synch, please write!

The Film itself is unique, in its way.
It even tops the tv series, and brilliant narrated by Patrick Stewart.
If it is synch, i will order it again, cause it's a must have!
1010 comments|16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse