Colour: Black|Package Quantity: 1|Change
Price:£1.79+ Free shipping

on 27 August 2010
HDMI is a digital interface, therefore the data either arrives intact or not. For short leads (less than 3m) in a home environment (low levels of electrical interference), there is no requirement for high quality (expensive) cabling. In practice the quality of the connector contacts is the critical issue and this lead has perfectly acceptable connectors - they must be gold plated to avoid corrosion and future poor contact resistance.

If the data is corrupted due to a poor cable or connector, you'll know about it on your screen. Small amounts of corruption (eg caused by interference) will still result in obvious picture defects. If these are evident, double check that all connectors are fully inserted and there is no damage to the cable. Always keep the leads as short as possible to reduce clutter and minimise pick-up of interference.

Happily, the lead being reviewed here suffered from no quality problems and gave perfect results.

Moral of the HDMI story: for the normal connections around your TV and player/recorder system(s), BUY THE CHEAPEST LEAD WITH GOLD PLATED CONTACTS that you can find.
on 8 January 2011
Edit: after a helpful comment added to this review it turns out that these cables are not "fully wired" ie they are missing connections that will enable control systems to work between certain devices (eg Viera link for Panasonic). "Premium" is a misnomer!

This cable proved a disappointment. I frequently change the angle of my TV on its stand when gaming or watching films. Using this cable the connection would regularly fail and the signal would be lost to my DVD recorder.

Furthermore the Viera link functions (my TV and DVD are both Panasonic) refused to work. I initially put this down to the fact that my DVD recorder is much older than the TV and decided they weren't compatible. But the reliability issue persuaded me to order the Pro Gold Red HDMI cable also available on Amazon ([...]).

What a difference! Not only is the connection rock solid I am now able to use the Viera link functions.

For me it was worth paying the extra for reliability and compatibility. Other users mileage may vary depending on the components they use.
on 26 March 2009
As the title says, for the price (around £2.20) you really can't go wrong with this product. Purchased it as they don't include one with the PS3 (ridiculous if you ask me), and it works fine, no problems at all. What I particularly like is that it is short (0.75m) which is ideal if your PS3/Blu-Ray player is close to your TV and you don't want yards of cable cluttering things up.

A word of warning when it comes to HDMI cables, many people will tell you (wrongly) that you need to buy a more expensive cable, as it gives you a better picture. Don't listen to them. HDMI is digital technology, therefore if all the information gets transferred correctly and completely from one end of the cable to the other, then the picture will be the same regardless of the cable (if it doesn't do this it will be immediately clear, no picture, very distorted picture, etc.).

There is a placebo effect at work here where people claim to see a better picture from more expensive cables (it's their brain saying "it must be a better picture as it cost 50 times more than another cable").

What I will grant them is that the more expensive cables are very well put together, and therefore less likely to have an error, but at the prices being charged they are simply not worth it. If you buy a cheaper cable and is doesn't work properly, send it back, simple as that.

Don't get me wrong, I will pay a premium for quality, but in this case the numbers just don't add up.

Buy this cable, it does everything you want for very little money.
88 comments|130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 March 2010
Comments from an electronics research technician. Independent laboratory tests demonstrate measurable quality differences between cables. It particularly identifies the cheapest cables which are sometimes not properly shielded and which can contain copper plated wire rather than solid copper.
But the issue is not whether differences exist but whether they affect the user. And in practice the average person lacks sufficiently acute senses to detect those differences even when inferior cables are used to connect high quality audio and video equipment. Without the use of test equipment I can rarely make that detection, and I have an in depth knowledge of the science and what to look for.
Also loss is most detectable in longer cables e.g. 5 metres plus. These cables are only 1 metre in length.
I bought these cables to connect my son's HD Sky Box to an HD TV. Their performance proved perfectly satisfactory even when I compared them to my own high quality professional cables. My conclusion. Excellent value for money. I genuinely recommend them for any home user.
22 comments|63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 May 2011
Let's keep this short.... The cheapest HDMI cable in Currys is £20, albeit for a 2 metre cable (longer than needed in this case), so I plumped for this "cheap and nasty" affair for about £3. It works perfectly, the picture is completely indiscernible from that provided by the £30 cable I bought for my home cinema unit.

Granted this cable looks cheap, but I tend to put it behind the TV not in front of it, so it remains my dirty little secret. Thoroughly recommended, a no risk purchase.
on 25 November 2008
Please don't be put off by the low price of these HDMI cables. I ordered 2 of these to use with a Sony Bravia and Home Cinema System and they work perfectly. You can buy HDMI cables that cost nearly 10 times this and come in fancy moulded plastic case but don't bother wasting your money, just get these instead.
on 9 July 2010
Having been to Maplins and been offered an HDMI cable at £[] I was put off and looked on the net for information on HDMI cables and discovered that there is no degradation of signal until you start to go to longer lengths in excess of 15 feet. I then went onto Amazon for a cable an could not believe how low the prices are. I chose this cable and it arrived in two days and I get enhanced HD pictures on the TV at a hugely reduced price.
on 12 January 2009
As good as it gets!

A tip for everyone looking for digital cables: The main aspect that you should look for is cable length. Yes, that's right. The signal is DIGITAL so it won't suffer distortion as analogic signals would. It will either work perfectly or not work at all. The only exception is if the cable is longer than 2 or 3 meters. In this case the signal could suffer a small loss if the cable is not top quality.

So if your Blu-Ray, DVD, Home Theatre etc is right below your TV, get the shortest cable you can possibly find that have decent connectors. Don't pay for any brand model unless you really need a 5 or 10M cable.
on 24 October 2014
Knowing very little about HDMI cables I bought this one after another review stating that a digital cable is a digital cable and there is no point spending more on an HDMI cable, the review also stated not to be put off by the low price. Well I wasn't and bought the cable and I am very happy with the cable. It's a HDMI cable and it works.
on 24 January 2009
HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) supports both video and audio on a single digital connection for use with DVD Players, DTV, set-top boxes (such as Sky HD) and other AV devices. HDMI has the capability to support standard, enhanced or high-definition video plus standard to multichannel surround-sound audio.

I have a 2 year old TV that has only 1 HDMI input. I have had a PS3 connected to this with an expensive branded HDMI cable that gives a fantastic picture. Having just upgraded to SKY HD and bought a dvd/surround-sound unit with a HDMI output I needed a couple of short HDMI cables to use with the auto selector Neet - 3 Port HDMI AUTO SWITCH BOX plus REMOTE 3x1 Switcher HUB (3 way input 1 output)I've purchased. These cables are just the job. Short and easy to hide away and no loss in picture quality. As pictured which is not always the case when you buy cheep cables online in my experience. If I need any more cables I will definitely buy from here again. If you need a short HDMI to HDMI cable at a competitive price don't look any further these are for you.