TOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 February 2012
I am not really a Gracie Fields fan as such, I find her soprano voice to be ear piercing and with the styles of the day her looks do not really come across to the modern viewer. Nevertheless, I like the spirit of working class life that she embodies, even though it may be down to an early example of clever PR marketing and being from Lancashire myself her image has a particular resonance.

I found a copy of 'Sing As We Go' on an old VHS tape I was clearing out, watched it an enjoyed it. It reminded me of the Blackpool I knew as a lad (many years after the making of the film let me add) and having it enjoyed that movie I hunted around for more and found this box set.

Of the films included 'Sing As We Go' is by far the best. The location filming and script co written by J B Priestly are the main reasons why, but nevertheless there is much to be enjoyed about the other films in the box set.

The films included are@

Sing As We Go
Love, Life and Laughter
Sally in our Alley
Looking on the Bright Side
Queen of Hearts
Look up and Laugh
The Show goes on.

There are no extras included. The box set is well packaged but not lavishly so. The transfers are fine with good quality sound and clear video. Of course with fresh transfers and expensive digital processing they could be better.

For all fans of Gracie and anyone with an interest in British domestic cinema or in British social history this box set would be a great buy and at a bargain price to boot.
on 4 June 2010
Gracie Fields was a plain but extraordinary woman, she could look like she fitted in with the general population, but made up wow she comes alive, she was funny, and had a great voice, as a youngster I wished I had her voice, but sadly didn't, I reccommend this set of DVD's for anyone into nostalga one day when I am old and grey I will sit in my chair and watch these all over again, whoops I am almost there.
on 3 October 2013
My dad told me about Gracie Fields and how he loved to watch her films and what a wonderful singing voice she had.
So I got him this collection as a surprise and he loves it.
And I've really enjoyed watching the films too, they also have a lot of educational content of the way we used to live.
on 26 April 2009
Not too many people know that along with George Formby, "Our Gracie" headed the lists of biggest draws at local cinemas throughout the country during the 30s. Although the films are somewhat dated in today's terms they contain some remarkable songs and show what a consummate artiste she was and apart from her uniquely distinctive voice, her comic talents were highly individual. These films are a delightful example of simpler times...what nowadays might be labelled as "feelgood" items. Some of the film songs are included in Gracie's "Ramona" CD which is also a "must" for Fields fans....and if you are a Gracie lover and have never heard her supreme rendering of "Indian Summer"....then get hold of this CD as well...it's a cracker!!
on 10 October 2009
Being born in 1942 I grew up with this type of film. My memories were that Gracie Fields could do no wrong. So I bought the collection and I wasn't disappointed. If anything, it was better than I had expected. The film quality, black and white, mono etc. did nothing to take away the quality of "Our Gracie". It has been reproduced superbly with very little, if any, crackle and pop.
Each film carries it's own story and displays the freedom of the era, that which we have so sadly lost in this day and age. It shows the simpleness of stories that have a start, middle and end and is wonderfully interspersed with the music, or songs, that my Grandmother used to sing to me. From "Sally" to "Sing As We Go", and including some songs that I have never heard before, this collection is well worth having. I'm very pleased to be a proud owner of the collection.
I would recommend this collection to anyone, including the young, because it is just good clean humour and fun.
on 2 May 2014
There is no doubt that Gracie Fields was a massive star in her day and it is easy to understand why she was so popular with Northern audiences in particular. But these dated films, with their understandably modest production standards, are somewhat painful to view nowadays. It is known that Gracie Fields, initially at least, was not all that happy making films and one suspects she was better before a live audience. The best of this collection is Sing As We Go, from a story by J B Priestley, and apart from the madcap adventures the star gets up to in the film it is valuable in showing what Blackpool, as a working-class playground, was like in the early 1930s.
on 21 March 2013
Some of the songs melt your heart. The acting isn't too bad either. A Hollywood actress is in one of the films and you can become nostalgia away to your hearts content
on 9 March 2010
You could use up every superlative in the book to describe this women and still you would run out of words. A word of warning there--the funfair scene in Sing As You Go is well worth the purchase price. Catherine Tate and the vulgar brigade of today's non-funny "comediennes" should watch this and see how it's done. And no one can match Gracie when it comes to switching from screwball to pathos in the blink of an eye. Little wonder then that Jane Horrocks failed miserably to capture Our Gracie's timeless magic.
So, what are you waiting for? BUY IT!!!
on 16 September 2014
Not impressed with this DVD at all. the voice of Gracie is quite squeaky and not pleasant to listen to. I bought this for a friend who is elderly and we found it very disappointing. Not recommended I'm afraid.
on 28 December 2014
A wonderfully nostalgic set of films with Gracie Fields singing her heart out. Service second to none.