Format: DVD|Change

on 27 February 2008
I rented this movie not expecting to enjoy it, due to the fact that the role of leading lady Annie was left to Scarlett Johanssen- an actress who I have usually taken to disliking from seeing her in other, less favourable roles. However, after reading and enjoying the book I wanted to give it a go and was left surprsingly pleased. "The Nanny Diaries" is a pleasant enough film, most likely to appeal to an audience who enjoyed films such as "The Devil Wears Prada" and "Sweet Home Alabama". It provides touching moments throughout, mainly seen through the sweet friendship formed between Annie and Grayer- the young child who is left in her care everyday by the rich Mrs X (played fabulously by Laura Linney). It also maintains its title as a comedy well, with a few moments causing me to laugh out loud. Over-all I would recommend The Nanny Diaries to people looking for an entertaining, light film and also to those, who like me, beforehand may not have always been a fan of Scarlett Johanssen.
on 12 August 2011
I read this book over quite a long period of time. While I enjoyed it, I wasn't totaly crazy about it. Now, normally films never do a book justice but this film surpassed my expectations. It was warm, funny, sad and poignant. The nanny from New Jersey experiences life on the Upper East side of NYC. Laura Linny, who plays Mrs X, the self-absorbed cold-hearted mother is excellent in this film. It has a bit of romance thrwon in as you would expect, in the form of a Harvard Hottie who resides in the same upmarket building in another apartment. The family that Nanny (as she is always called) works for seems to have everything on the outside (house in the Hamptons, uniformed staff etc) but very little going for them in terms of being loving. I thought it was a good insight into how the other side live. I have now watched the DVD three times and won't be giving it away like I often do with books and DVDs. Well worth watching!
on 10 July 2010
Many of the best aspects of the book, in particular the narrator's sense of anger at her employers, embarrassment at her fish-out-of-water position and love for her charge, are rather difficult to transfer effectively to the big screen. The scriptwriters do their best, but ultimately this is a rom-com with elements of social-class based comedy, rather than the hard-hitting social commentary that is the original book. The main story arc is relatively uninspiring: nanny (Scarlett Johansson) meets nice upper-class boy in compromised situation, but despite her situation worsening, their relationship grows. Meanwhile, she grows much more fond than she had expected of her charge. Of course, in keeping with the usual plan, he is initially obnoxious, but responds to the love shown by nanny to become cute and adorable etc etc (though still quite annoying, and with moments of rather dubious acting). All fairly standard. What rescues this film from total mediocrity is the terrific performance of the grotesque parents, Mr and Mrs X, by Paul Giamatti and Laura Linney. Giamatti is woefully underused, but exactly portrays the sleaze and moral depravity of the upper echelons of the corporate and finance world. Everything he says makes your toes curl. Linney simply steals the film. Every scene she's in works: she's cold, icy, of course an enormous snob, but somehow you end up feeling more pleased about her redemption than about any other aspect of the finale. Her facial expression when Nanny orders a burger at a posh restaurant is just amazing. She's just utterly convincing: it would have been so easy to overplay her role, but she makes it so natural. Overall, fairly mainstream stuff, but worth it for Linney and Giamatti.
on 6 November 2015
Didn't know what to expect of this film as I have never seen it before. I happened to have watched it yesterday on DVD. Annie(Johansson)is a college graduate who is hoping to become a nanny. So she goes to New York City where she stumbles across this little boy who is a spoilt brat. His parents go by Mr and Mrs X(Laura Linney and Paul Giamatti)and Annie gets a call to mind Mrs X's son. Of course the two don't get along but then they become the best of friends. Things get complicated when Annie meets a man named Harvard Hottie(Chris Evans who co starred with Scarlett in The Avengers films). So will Annie get the job and the guy in the end? Also starring Donna Murphy from Tangled. This film is sorta bland and unfunny.But I was glad I seen it as I haven't seen it before as it was never on TV.
3/5
on 8 January 2010
Being a fan of Scarlett Johansson I had high hopes for this movie, and I wasn't disappointed. It was entertaining and just something nice and sweet to watch on a Sunday afternoon, even if some scenes were a bit depressing. Sure it wasn't going to win any Oscars, but who cares? Not every film has to be a masterpiece and Oscar-worthy. I have to admit the little boy was quite annoying and not very cute but you really couldn't help but feel for him being ignored by his parents all the time, especially when Annie (Scarlett Johansson) is forced to leave him for being an 'un fit Nanny' despite being the only capable person to look after him since his own parents don't seem very bothered.
on 10 July 2013
Laura Linney was amazing as always! I really like all her characters in every movie she had! GREAT actress!!!
Wish I could say the same about Scarlett Johanson. But I dont want to hurt her because ... I like her but as an actess.. I think she is not as talented as Hollywood think she is. Good looking for sure!! I watch her since her teens so I am not afraid to say-she has one way to portrait all her characters... What a shame!!
I dont know the name of that man who played the father (my shame...) but he was amazing too!!
The movie was very entertaining. Nothing heavy to digest. Sweet little movie. Easy to forget.
on 23 June 2008
I wasn't sure what to expect with this film but I did really enjoy it. I could totally relate to the fresh out of college situation that Annie found herself in, unsure of how to live her future. I really enjoyed watching her settle in to the turbulent and rocky house and strike up a loving friendship with the little boy, whose image obsessed mother and work obsessed father have other more important activities to attend to instead of their son growing up. Scarlett Johansson is brilliant in some films (The Girl with the Pearl Earring, Ghost World), and I'm pleased to see her take on a role that suits her acting style.
on 6 January 2008
Charming, funny, sophisticated. Extremely well-acted. Mrs X must be one of Laura Linney's best performances. Alpha-plus.
on 17 April 2014
As always no problems with the service, the disk arrived fast in great condition, and it's a good film starring actors who work well together, while poking fun at high society in a way that it's impossible not to enjoy.
on 16 February 2013
the nanny diaries is a great movie and a greataddition to enybodys movie collection i would recomend to everybody exept children under 12 but that aside its hillarious