5.0 out of 5 stars Fish In The Snow
This, I must admit, surprised me...I recall reading many years ago about Chris's musical beginnings in a church choir and, of course, he has used full choirs on his recordings before - but what to expect here?

Expect 'Carols From Kings' without a crusty, dried up Kappelmeister in charge...he's been deposed by a prog-rocking, Wal-picking YES-HEAD!

The...
Published on 26 Dec 2007 by Mr. M. O. Harry

3.0 out of 5 stars Soft Xmas Music
If you're a YES Fan... don't expect anything "YES" - so if you aren't a Christmas fan... stay well clear.

Chris has come up with some nice arrangements of old and not overly-known Christmas Carols, with a Choir who are NOT Swiss at all. (It's just a play on words of course - and there's even a warning on the cover art/text insert)

I was introduced to...
Published on 6 Dec 2011 by Mr. Michael Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Fish In The Snow, 26 Dec 2007
Mr. M. O. Harry "Marc Harry" (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chris Squire's Swiss Choir (Audio CD)

The great choir CD is here but, if you listen beneath the familiar melodies and (mostly) harmonies, you uncover the genius gem of this CD: its heart rocks with thundering Squire-isms, cross rhythms and, occasionally, eyebrow-raising alternate chord patterns.

I said to a friend (while awaiting delivery) that "if this CD contained one track that was half as good as 'Run With The Fox' (probably my favourite Christmas record of all time) it would be well-worth the money."

Well, for a start, 'The Fox' is on here anyway but, in addition to that, everything on the disc is at least half as good and, if it can't quite reach the lofty heights of Squire's last festive effort, this CD will be a feature of all the Christmasses left in my life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Run with The Fish, 11 Dec 2007
J. Clarke "John Clarke" (Cranham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chris Squire's Swiss Choir (Audio CD)
My appetite whetted by samples on Mr Squire's web site, I preordered this gem amongst Christmas albums.It bares no comparison with Jon Anderson's "Three Ships" as this is very much an imaginative fusion of prog instrumentation and Splendid singing from the Choir. Steve Hackett's guitar work is tasteful throughout.Fans might like to google DAddio Clarke, where they will be led to Daddio Clarke and The Macon Wailers. Try Extreme Christmas for starters. and imagine what The Swiss Choir would have made of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars yesfan, 22 Oct 2009
Paul Phillips "Yesfan" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chris Squire's Swiss Choir (Audio CD)
Being a Yes fan I didn't know what to expect from this album. However, I was greatly impressed. I have just recieved it so I'm stll taking it in. The song's are very tastfully arranged and Chris has got it perfectly right! If I had any problem with it, it was that Gaudete finished too abruptly for me. It is so good that I wanted it to keep playing. Great Christmas album!

3.0 out of 5 stars Soft Xmas Music, 6 Dec 2011
Mr. Michael Smith (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chris Squire's Swiss Choir (Audio CD)

I was introduced to "Past 3 O'Clock" with it's impossible notes to hit (for boys with breaking voices) and "Die Koeniger" ("3 Kings" from Persian Lands Afar)when I was still at school in 1972 I think. The latter is a lovely tune with an ethereal descant when sung in German as it is here.

A great selection to be honest, and if you enjoy Christmas (unlike me) it makes an ideal gift for someone who does.

As one might expect from Chris, it is a very classy production. I'd hate to call or rate it as background music, but sadly that's what Christmas music usually is.

Totally ignored - whilst eating or ripping paper to shreds. Otherwise, because it has a few quirks, it is good enough NOT to become elevator music (USA) or stuff you might hear at the Supermarket. In quieter moments - it's actually worth listening to - just for the musical presentation etc.

The winning track - of course - is the brilliant "Run With The Fox" which has the Chris Squire Trademark stamped all over it. I've owned that from a Yes compilation for many, many years, and have always loved it.

Christmas come just once a year... and a playing of this album... likewise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Christmas Album Ever?, 28 Dec 2010
This review is from: Chris Squire's Swiss Choir (Audio CD)
Generally speaking Christmas albums should be approached with caution, (Jethro Tull's Christmas Album being an honourable exception), however this offering from Chris Squire defies all expectations and convention and really delivers. For a start there's the title - you have to love 'Chris Squire's Swiss Choir'. Whoever thought of that title - genius! But then you start to play it and immediately it's not what you expect. Opening with a full-on choral version of 'Adam Lay Y'Bounden' it seems initially as if the album's title is going to be taken literally, but then after one verse the rhythm kicks in and you are off on one of the most enjoyable and good natured 55 minutes of Christmas music ever recorded. Squire has taken classic Christmas songs and managed both to remain faithful to the spirit of the traditional versions and at the same time to inject some funky rhythms and playfulness to them all. Terriffic stuff, greatly enhanced by some truly wonderful guitar work by Steve Hackett, (himself very much in the ascendancy at the moment). As a bonus at the end we get a polished-up version of Squire's Christmas hit of some years ago - 'Run With the Fox', one of the best seasonal singles in my opinion. I bought this album in 2008 and it comes straight to the top of my Christmas playlist every year now. I defy you not to love it too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 13 Dec 2009
This review is from: Chris Squire's Swiss Choir (Audio CD)
Extremely enjoyable album that perfectly unites prog rock with these great carols. Squire's bass is magisterial as always, with his great compositional prowess and rich tone in clear evidence here. Squire's singing (he takes the lead for some verses and in his own 'Run With the Fox') is also strong. Highlights are the rockier 'I Saw Three Ships' and 'Sussex Carol' but the whole CD is a treat. Strongly recommended if you want to get your prog and Christmas fixes simultaneously!

4.0 out of 5 stars finally caught the fox!, 24 Dec 2007
This review is from: Chris Squire's Swiss Choir (Audio CD)
Been searching for a recording of Run with the Fox for many years after losing my old vinyl copy in a house move, and finally found one on this collection, further enhanced by the addition of the choir. However, a lot of the joy of this album is in the quality of the rest........ a collection of terrific vocal and musical arrangements of favourite carols with some wonderful guitar from Steve Hackett and Chris's vocals have rarely sounded better. The first track, 'Adam Lay Y'Bounden', is magnificent. A fixture in the car stereo this Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Carols for the 21st Century... get over it!!, 25 Dec 2012
It is Christmas Day evening, my job has been... well, not so good lately, but d'you know what has lifted me up, made my Christmas bright, made the journey to and from work tolerable and given me a big silly grin on my face? You got it... Mr. Chris Squire, former choir boy and keeper of the faith with a certain well-known band, taking the notion of carols, spinning them up to speed and underpinning them with a perfectly arranged rock foundation for the new century. Frankly, like most of humanity, I'd got pretty sick of "Now That's What I Call Christmas", so finding this album was a joy and a delight. Chris & Co. don't destroy the carols, they keep the original timings, a strong and incredibly tight choir and just pump this up into a virtual euphoric mix. I've NEVER before enjoyed a drumkit in a "church" environment, but the re-interpretations are faithful, bouncy, playful and VERY uplifting. Messrs Squire and Hackett do drop out of the strict regime for the odd prog-rock noodle along the way, but - to quote Frank Zappa - sometimes there is "good noodling!". If you want to try something stimulating, out-of-the-ordinary and infinitely more pleasing than Slade for next Christmas (or any other one, for that matter), then shell out a few bob for the "Swiss Choir". You won't be disappointed. Now then Mr. Squire, how about a Concert of Carols with the band for '13??

5.0 out of 5 stars Traditional Squire, 11 Aug 2009
Mrs. Tracy Plant "Pastors wife" (Harold Wood England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chris Squire's Swiss Choir (Audio CD)
Being a long time Yes fans we brought this just out of interest and we're really inpressed. I belive it was Dan Hedges in an early biography of Yes, who points out that there has always been older influances (despite the prog rock direction) to Yes music. This is the case here as Chris puts a new spin on traditional Christmas music while maintianing respect for it's origins. The arrangements bring real power to some fimiler songs. We used it before some of the Christmas services at the church where my husband is Pastor. Lovely music wonderfully played.

2.0 out of 5 stars very disappointing, 13 Dec 2007
This review is from: Chris Squire's Swiss Choir (Audio CD)
I bought this because I like Squire's bass playing, but found this very disappointing. Nothing new or interesting in the way these Xmas songs are put together and no real sign of Squire anywhere.
After something as good as Syndestructible he did with the Syn or the Conspiracy albums, why waste his time out with Yes with this?

Chris Squire's Swiss Choir
Chris Squire's Swiss Choir by Chris Squire (Audio CD - 2009)