Format: DVD|Change

on 1 October 2008
Series 3 is sort of uneven - three standout episodes that are strong enough to overwhelm the lazy, self indulgent strand running through all six. The main problem for me was that they brought to the fore those wonderful details that added unique texture in series 1 & 2. For example, crimping. Before crimping had a name, it was something that cropped up every now and then in a natural, brilliant sort of way. In series three there's an entire episode dedicated to crimping. Knowing it's something that can be taught, can be practiced and even copied just sorta cheapened it. The same goes for the Council of Shamen, and particularly Tony Harrison who's been transformed into a hard living drug fiend.

The other big problem is that the Boosh now inhabit the same space as a lot of the real world, and it's not a particularly great one - it's full of Camden posers. In Party, they're even told by Vince that they're the chosen people. They're arrogant, shallow body fascists. That was charming when Vince was the only one and it was taken to a surrealist extreme, but now it's just irritating. That's one of the bigger problems - Vince has stopped being lovable and the friendship between him and Howard descends into point-scoring and spite.

The standouts are Eels (the Hitcher remains reliably nasty), Journey to the Centre of Punk and especially the Crack Fox (definitely Julian Barrett's best turn and an effective comedy/horror mix). Even those have moments you'd rather weren't there, just as the weaker episodes have moments you want to savour.

Mighty Boosh 3 is not as good as their previous work but it's still better than any other comedy on British TV. I reckon series 4 will be a vast improvement and in the meantime, it's still not that bad. They just set the bar so high before that it was hard to top it the third time out.
on 18 June 2008
For me, a fan of a long, long time, this was a big, bit letdown. This has nothing to do with "snobbishness" or "not liking them because they're too popular". I quite honestly could not care less what anyone thinks of the things I like, and the Mighty Boosh has never been any exception.

That said, since the've become more popular, Noel Fielding in particular seems to have disappeared further and further up his own arse, hanging out with celebrities &c. You might say, Vince Noir has consumed and taken over Fieldings personality. The reason I'm bringing this up is because it shows through on this here series three. In many ways, its views like a self-parody, with Fielding and, sadly, Barratt as well simply playing exaggerated versions or Noir & Moon respectively.

Its disappointing when you consider the two years, and the studio time & BBC funding they've had, and most of what they've done is in many places regurgitated loads of ideas, and indeed entire storylines in some cases, from the second series. Also, in many of the places where they havent done this, they've simply fallen back on exaggerated versions on things popularly associated with the Boosh, cases in point being the crimping and the scat singing.

However, all this said, I'm still gonna give it three stars for some occasions where the magic I fell in love with when I first got into the Boosh is still apparent, such as the Eels. This seems to show that the magics not quite gone yet, and theres still hope for the next series. Also, Rich Fulcher's parts are all great - his characters, including the highly welcome return of Bob Fossil are one of the biggest redeemers of series three.
on 3 September 2008
Ace fantastical comedy series loses the comedy and becomes a massive self-congratulatory tugfest. Gutted. Interestingly, the children in the family's loyalty is unwavering whereas the big un's are all agreed that the funny has done a runner, that may mean nowt but may mean everything. I hate saying this, but for me it's time to put the Boosh to bed. I'll look forward to whatever the chaps get up to next time though, as a team or as individuals.
on 19 April 2009
Having been mesmerised by the magical humour that captivated me for the first two series, this was sadly something of a disappointment. Some of the episodes simply reflect on the unpleasant, egotistical personality that Noel Fielding has recently developed, such as pressuring Howard into having a birthday party. I always found Julian Barratt a lot funnier than Noel Fielding, and it is sad that his potential has been ruined in this series- I am just grateful that he isn't tarting himself around the gameshow and late-night television scene like Fielding. Gone are the bizarre array of magical creatures (save the crack fox), and enter a variety of unfunny new B-side creations, and recycled material. The board of shaman were once funny, they are now very boring, and their amusing mystique has gone forever. I would recommend the first two series, possibly the stage show, only funny because of Julian Barratt, but not this.
on 26 August 2009
Now I love the Boosh, when I first stumbled across them about 3 years ago I thought what the hell is this?! I thought it was a stroke of genius and just my kind of humour. So, I much anticipated the release of the 3rd series and was very sadly dissapointed. Noel and Vince`s characters had changed and were actually, on occasion, dare I say it, unlikeable! It was simply too `polished` for my taste, gone were the old shabby props that made their show so likeable and Kitsch and in were the new style of filming, props, and new and sometimes quite dull characters.

I guess you could say there main downfall was like most great comedy`s, they either don`t know when to stop or they try and get the goods together so quickly (the first 2 series apparantly took 10 years to complete) that it simply loses the magic and essence of the other series.

So, sadly I feel I can only give the boosh no more than 2 stars but will always be a big fan of the first two series.
on 10 March 2011
Having looked at the other reviews for this product, thought I better write my own to even it up!
Series 3 was the first Mighty Boosh I ever watched and I absolutely loved it-so much I brought the other two seasons! Having watched those and returning to series 3, I can see why some people might complain that Noel Fielding and co. are losing their edge. Many cite season 1 as the best because it is the most abstract, and the material was couched in their live performances pre-tv. However, just because series 3 was written FOR tv doesn't make it bad! Don't be put off by the "purists", this series is hilarious and probably the most accessible of all three series! I love it!

Also-
Eels.
That is all.
on 16 August 2008
I got into the Boosh groove by buying the first two series and live DVD and had high hopes this third series would promote Julian & Noel into the premier league of British comedy from the late night BBC 3 "yoof" ghetto but, alas, sorry no dice.

All too often we see the two lead characters rather crudely sketched; perhaps this is due to the two stars writing for each other's characters.In addition, the "sit" in this sit-com is skewed towards the egomaniacal Noir than the more sympathetic Moon. In earlier series we enjoyed watching both lead characters struggle to live life to the full and dream their dreams while existing as outsiders. Vince the dandy despite his cocky charm was no more confident with ladies than Howard: witness his occassionally disasterous chats with Mrs Gideon & Kraftwerk Orange. But throughout this series we watch minor characters worship Vince the Prince and berate Moon the Goon. I have nothing against Camden but its fictionalised art-music-showbiz-scene is pretty unappealling. The number of cameo roles for very minor non-celebrity indie rock halfwits is just as pleasurable to watch as a wolverine devouring your new puppy. Quite frankly I would rather be a bin man than live in their world. While I love Vince I'm not sure many fans can empathise with him; how many of us feel the burden of adoration?Let's face it most of us are Moonites - neurotic, twitchy and have more issues than "What Fire" magazine.The lack of dynamism between Noir/Moon means that smaller roles like Monty Flange, Crack Fox and Tony Harrison flourish in the spotlight.As a result it is hard to believe how inconsistent this series is. It is great during Crack Fox but the Crimp is as much fun as a poke in the eye with a kebab skewer. Unfortuately the gag rate has suffered also:there are quite simply too few laughs.I can't be the only one who has noticed that the incidental music is meagre and often recycled.The series hasn't completely lost its charm but it either needs the input of either a firmer script editor, additional writers or, perhaps a rest for the two boys to regain their mojo.
on 25 January 2008
Some of this is really funny. Some of it is fan service (and fair enough - I like to see boys kissing as much as the next girl). Lots of it is recycled (which is such a shame coz one of the best things about the Boosh is originality). Some of it is not funny.

The worst thing is this: the bits that are not funny aren't unfunny in the kind of still-interesting, somehow-strangely-mesmerizing way that the less funny bits of the first two series were. In some of the episodes Fielding seems just - well, tired. And a tired Vince doesn't work.

Also, the last episode was plain bad.

On the plus side, there are still flashes of genius. More than in most comedy series. It's really only the comparison with the first two series that makes this disappointing.
44 comments|46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 February 2008
The Mighty Boosh is never wasted viewing; I was bowled over and slightly obsessed when I discovered the other two series (and I'm not a young man), but like a lot of other reviewers, I can't help feeling that they've lost the plot on this one. Gone are the surreal adventures of old, and the events are restricted to Camden, which gives it a localized feel and restricts the action, and instead of Rudy and his quest to find the New Sound, we get the Horrors (great, but not very funny). The butt of the jokes is purely Howard, and you get the horrible feeling that Vince, or rather Noel Fielding, is starting to take himself too seriously these days. Jagger he ain't.

But what am I saying? Compared to all the other dross on telly these days (can I just say 'Little Britain'), we desperately need more of this if we are to stay sane.
on 30 December 2014
Although this series of The Mighty Boosh doesn't quite live up to the surreal comedy brilliance of the first two, it is still hilarious and definitely worth a watch. There are a number of moments where you feel like Vince and Howard have almost started to become parodies of themselves, and they are not quite as likeable as they were in the first two series. There are plenty of funny moments though that Boosh fans are bound to enjoy, and some great new characters. Worth watching!