Published on 12 Feb 2012 by Peter G Knight

3.0 out of 5 stars Third time lucky!
Published on 6 Feb 2011 by Peter

5.0 out of 5 stars Worried by some previous reviews but very happy with this product, 12 Feb 2012
This review is from: Russell Hobbs 13824-10 Mini Kitchen with Convection Oven and 2 Hot Plates 3000 W (Kitchen & Home)
I thought I should write a quick review of this product because when I was reading previous reviews to help me decide whether to buy it, there were clearly several controversial issues. Does it have a grill? Will it burn you if you touch the handle? Will it burn your food or leave it cold? Will it ever arrive in the first place if it's being delivered by Yodel? Well, here's my experience and some answers to those questions.

Delivery: Ordered it from Amazon on Wednesday 8th February. Free super-saver delivery. Delivery (by Yodel) estimated Monday 13th. I was worried because online reviewers suggested Yodel were rubbish and wouldn't even knock the door. In fact the Yodel chap knocked the door very adequately and delivered the item with a smile about 5pm on Friday 10th Feb. Everything was present as expected and undamaged in the box, including a user's manual (which some reviewers said wasn't provided).

So is there a user's handbook? Yes. The user's manual is clearly written and helpful. For example, it explains that the heating element at the top of the inside of the oven works as a grill, but that to use it effectively you should leave the oven door open so that the oven thermostat doesn't kick in and turn the grill off while you are grilling. The manual also explains the short "before use" sequence that you should go through before you first cook, to get rid of any smelly fumes from the components.

Is there a grill? Yes. See above, or read the instructions in your user's handbook! I am completely confident that I will be able to make my cheese on toast. The grill doubles as the top heater element for the oven, if you choose to have both top and bottom elements on. It's worth experimenting with that depending on what you're cooking.

Does the oven actually cook anything? I have just roasted a tray of vegetables to perfection. Set the oven to 200 degrees, leave parboiled veggies in tray of oil in oven for one hour, basting half way through, and voila! If I am able, I will put up a photo to show that they cooked brilliantly: I like them crispy and brown so I left them in for an hour. That's exactly the same time as I used to leave them in the full-size gas cooker that this mini-oven is replacing! I warmed the oven to temperature with both the upper and lower elements on, but left the veggies to roast with just the lower element (and its fan) on, which kept the oven happily at the 200 degree setting without "toasting" things on the top shelf!

Does the handle get so hot that you can't touch it without an oven glove, as some reviewers say? No. Not for me. After my 1-hour roasting experiment the handle was cool to the touch. The glass door was hot, and the top of the oven around the hot-plates was hot, but the handle was cool. The user's manual does warn you very clearly that the outside of the oven (including the handle) could get hot, but for me the handle stayed cool.

Do the hot-plate rings work OK? Yes. This is an electric cooker, obviously, so they work like electric cooker rings, not gas, which is not to everybody's taste (slow to warm, slow to cool), but they were as good as any other electric hotplates in my limited experience, and certainly adequate.

Is this the best oven in the world, without peer? Obviously not. I paid about 70 quid for it, and I am not a haut quisine establishment, so I'm not reviewing it as though I am the Queen's banquet chef. Some reviewers were perhaps expecting too much? It's cheapish and cheerful and it seems so far to be doing exactly what it says it will do. It is not a 900 super deluxe item, and it is not designed to satisfy a top chef catering for a party of twenty, but for an oven with a couple of hot plates for less than 100 (reduced price sale, admittedly, when I got it) I'm a perfectly satisfied customer, full of perfectly roasted vegetables and looking forward to my pizza and garlic bread for tea!

3.0 out of 5 stars Third time lucky!, 6 Feb 2011
As I have had two of these ovens previously (not from Amazon) I trawled through all the options available to see if I could make a change to another product; the reason being that the oven thermostat on the the first appliance gave up within the guarantee period; the second appliance lasted longer but the thermostat started to malfunction; the oven ran too hot and came on when switches were on zero. However, I should add that the appliances were extensively used. My research did not offer anything that I thought would be a suitable replacement, so I am in again!

Improvements have been made, the top/grill element is more substantial. The handle is a better design and the base feet are more solid. The oven light is controlled on the switch rather than being on all the time if the oven is plugged in. I have always been delighted with roasting and baking results from the oven. Cakes are perfect every time. The fan operation is a bonus and it may be the only mini oven to have this facility. The interior is surprisingly roomy and will accommodate a good free range chicken, or equivalent. Prospective purchasers should note that mini ovens are flimsier than normal ovens and discolouring of the enamel surface, especially around the door, is more prevalent. In order to deal with this I would recommend running the oven on slightly lower temperatures but for slightly longer periods. Also, the sort of person who only cleans an oven once a year (whether it needs it, or not!) will benefit from a more regular wipe around - after all, no bending required as it is often on a worktop. On that note, if you are vertically challenged please note that the hotplates (which function very well) will make saucepan stirring quite a high altitude activity. Lower surfaces will obviously be the solution here. When cleaning the exterior, you have to be careful around the dials as the symbols and number transfers can easily be wiped off. Please note that packing can be a bit hit and miss. I had oven racks missing from appliance number two and no oven tray or instructions in the current model. However, Amazon simply replace the whole works as there is not a facility for sending individual parts. Russell Hobbs also do not do parts but have a help line and can deal with queries. They also offer, I believe, an extension to the guarantee period and a refurbishment service. On the topic of parts, it is a little annoying that there is no facility for the user to change the oven light bulb when it invariably blows. However, it should last longer because it is now easier to control. If you do not have room for a large cooker and would prefer traditional cooking over microwave then you will be very pleased with this sort of appliance. It is also quicker and more economical than heating up a larger oven. It probably will not last as long as a more expensive, substantial oven but with care, and a happy thermostat, should give reasonable service. Happy baking!

ADDITIONAL COMMENT!

I am sorry, readers, it was not third time lucky! The oven thermostat failed again and the appliance was returned after about seven months, under guarantee, via long-suffering Amazon. I had, in any case, reduced my optimistic 4* to 3* as the oven was already showing too many signs of wear. In particular, dial information being wiped off, despite taking great care; it is a difficult appliance to clean easily. Please now see comments related to the Igenix 42 litre mini oven on this, and other detail.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good product, 18 Nov 2010
I needed a cooker whilst our house is being refurbished and we were living in the Garage!!! I read as much as I could about the different mini cookers with hobs on the market, and found that this one covered about everything that you would need. The Oven and Hobs work at the same time and you can turn the hobs down to simmer. The Grill works as long as you leave the door open and works well. I cannot think of anything you cannot cook with this small oven, and would tell anyone if you are looking for a small well priced item then this is the one!

3.0 out of 5 stars Advantages of the Mini Oven, 16 Aug 2009
Shirley Dent ""big spender"" (Ayrshire, Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
Apart from the Russell Hobbs Mini Oven I also have a Halogen Oven and between the two I find cooking much easier. The Russell Hobbs Mini Oven is ideal for me as I suffer from arthritis and cannot bend down for a conventional free standing cooker. It is much easier to use and definitely much easier to clean. The Russell Hobbs Mini Oven looks good in my kitchen too. I am very pleased with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars unhappy purchaser, 13 Aug 2008
A. Brunt (Central Scotland) - See all my reviews
Purchased this from a catalogue, and was very dissappointed to find it did not actually have a grill, merely a smaller square oven element at the top, to be used for keeping food warm. You cannot actually grill thingssuch as bacon, sausages, or make toast with this mini kitchen. What is does is bake them, turning the edges which sit right under the element black, and barely touching the middle of the items you are grilling. It also turns them into the texture of a brick. The box says it all - "can be used to roast, bake, boil or fry". Note is doesn't say you can grill! I sent it back. Only buy this item if you never want to grill anything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but mighty, 6 Nov 2009
For a little box this really does the job. We all seem to rely on huge range cookers needing large oven and many hob rings but for one person this really is a space saver. From slow cooked stews to roast chicken nothing is a problem. You have to be careful though as the oven gets much hotter than you think it will - easy to keep clean and very quiet dispite having rthe fan oven. All I need to do now......bake a cake. Would reccomend this for any small kitchen, bedsit, boat,caravan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Mini Cooker, 17 Aug 2011
We needed a temporary means of cooking that easily plugs in and this cooker appeared to fit the bill - and we were not disappointed. My partner is a very keen cook and was very impressed by the standard of this product. The fact that you can use both hobs and the oven at the same time means that this is a fully functional mini-cooker and he produced all our usual meals to the same high standard whilst using this cooker. Despite what other reviewers have said, this cooker DOES have a functioning grill facility - like any other oven with an integral grill, you simply need to turn just the top element on and leave the oven door open whilst grilling. We have used the grill to brown various pies and bakes and have also used it for regular grilling without a problem. The fact that this cooker also has a fan assisted oven also put this at the top of our list when we were choosing a cooker. It is a great product either as a temporary measure or a more permanent fixture should money or space be an issue. We would definately recommend this product!

4.0 out of 5 stars Temporary Solution, 9 Nov 2009
Mr. Neil Carter (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
Purchased as a temporary measure while kitchen is refurbished. Oven section works very well, but hotplates can take a long time to heat up, although they do get there eventually. Overall, a useful piece of equipment but probably not a long term solution.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good little oven, 7 May 2012
C Elias - See all my reviews
We bought this so we could turn our aga off for the summer. I cook for 5 of us and it's absolutely fine - you need to buy smaller oven dishes so you can cook several things at once...and hob is fine, no problems with it. Only one slight prob is there is no light to say if hob is on or off...but apart from that - good value for 70 30 Minute Meals Recipes includes Easy Dinner Recipes, Healthy Dinner Ideas and Simple Recipes that can be made in 30 Minutes or Less for Busy Moms, Dads & Other Professionals!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right, 29 Nov 2011
I decided to go for a smaller cooker when I moved into smaller flat and liked the look of the Russell Hobbs one.....and it's champion, I've cooked a complete roast dinner for 2 quite happily. I recommend highly for those wanting to "downsize".....From Amazon good price speedy delivery very good.