5.0 out of 5 stars Ringo is a STARR
Im glad to see the previous reviews on here saying good things about Ringo and this Album, Its a Shame he dont really get the credit he deserves, I beleive hes a very underated artist.
His songs are always catchy and Simple, and he sings from the Heart
Published on 17 Jan 2008 by T. Care

3.0 out of 5 stars Liverpool 8
I'll come straight to the point. I am a die-hard Beatles' fan and have been for twenty five years (funnily enough, to the day - I bought my first cassette on 25th February 1985). This of course influenced my decision to buy this album - along with my love of the city of Liverpool.

So what's Liverpool 8 like?

On first listen, I would use words such as...
Published on 25 Feb 2010 by Beatle C.

3.0 out of 5 stars Liverpool 8, 25 Feb 2010
This review is from: Liverpool 8 (Audio CD)

So what's Liverpool 8 like?

On first listen, I would use words such as "ok","passable" and the obligatory "Beatlesque". Delve a little deeper, listen a few more times and you will even find yourself humming some of the tunes, because it is pretty easy listening. And there's the rub. Aside from the title track and possibly "Pasadobles", there isn't that much to this album. I'm not sure if I would call it disappointing, but "Ringo" it certainly is not.

I would have also preferred there to have been more songs based on Mr Starkey's memories of his great birth-city, after all, he named the album after the legendary locale.

Liverpool 8 is pleasant, melodic and perfecty acceptable. I only wish Ringo had put a little more effort into making it an album that would act as more of fitting tribute to the city from it draws it's title.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ringo is a STARR, 17 Jan 2008
T. Care "John 3:16" (London) - See all my reviews
His songs are always catchy and Simple, and he sings from the Heart
I Have all Ringos Cds and Pleased to have this Latest one in my collection, On the first Listen, its really good, Ringo Starr is a Living Legend and Still selling music after 40 years, How many of todays artists will be saying that 40 years from now? Not many if any i bet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank God for Ringo, 15 Jan 2008
This review is from: Liverpool 8 (Audio CD)
For his new album Ringo takes on board ex Eurhythmic and solo star Dave Stewart but I was pleased to note Mark Hudson is still there as he was responsible for some of his finest work.
Its going to be so damned easy for a rock critic to trash this album because its so NORMAL.Songs which are in the same tradition as the Beatles-songs which don't sound anything like the current darlings of the Rock Press (Radiohead etc) and once more the critics will parade out a list of Ringo failures.
This time round there's no special guests and no covers but Ringo writes with up to 4 others.It won't sell of course because we live in strange times when bands can become overnight stars via downloading.
Liverpool 8 follows the same tradition as the other 3 Beatles did-the nostalgia trail- while the last song is like a Gospel one of the "life's railway to Heaven" kind.
Ringo may be well in his 60s but doesn't sound any different to when he ssng With a little help from my friends

4.0 out of 5 stars Richard Starkey's best for a while., 14 Jan 2008
Quiverbow (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Liverpool 8 (Audio CD)
The fortunate thing Ringo Starr has going for him that many other artists don't is that his fans' expectations aren't that high. His lyrics are, for the most part, simple couplets with an occasional surprise thrown in and he fully understands the limitations of his singing ability. Although he has his regulars that buy anything he brings out (myself included) his sales can now be measured in the hundreds (of hundreds), which is a shame as `Liverpool 8' is his best release for some time. If you're reading this you probably have an interest in Ringo so you'll more than likely already be familiar with the autobiographical title track, which leaves eleven more to look at.

To get the worst out the way first, `Tuff Love' is probably the weakest song on the CD being neither here nor there and really does sound as if it's just a filler: it's only saving grace is the backwards guitar ending, reminiscent of `I'm Only Sleeping'. The penultimate track, `If It's Love That You Want' is an equal throwaway but it'll no doubt please some listeners.

`Harry's Song' finds Ringo singing about his mate Harry Nilsson in the laid back nightclub crooning style of that artist and just about manages to pull it off. The inclusion of words such as `moon' and `June' hark back to an earlier age that this could even be a song for Ringo's stepdad, Harry. Whilst the opening of 'Gone Are The Days' sounds like Ringo's take on 'Tomorrow Never Knows' complete with ethereal vocals, it soon develops into a decent, if short, head nodder, complete with Beatlesque 'ooooos' in the background. Like most albums from Mr. Starkey, he isn't reticent to acknowledge his past and has a habit of referencing such. This song includes the line "it don't come easy" whilst "choose love" and "all together now", amongst others, are incorporated in other tracks.

`Now She's Gone Away' is a return to his `pudding style' drumming first heard on `Abbey Road' and just as you think he's going into a short drum solo, it's back to the main ingredient. As the title suggests, `Pasodobles' has a Spanish backing; `Love Is' is book- ended with a melody akin to Lennon's 'Julia'; 'R U Ready', a song about preparing for your demise, is spoilt by the 'tin can' singing and a guitar solo that sounds as if it's badly edited in but that may have been the intention all along. You can imagine 60-somethings gliding around the tea room floor to 'Give It A Try', a pleasant enough slow number. In fact it's probably safe to assume that that age group is the one that buys Ringo's CDs simply because they're from the same generation. 'Think About You' is the albums top toe tapper and could be a live favourite for many. `For Love' is a bit pedestrian in parts but no doubt it'll grow on the listener.

Unfortunately, as with every release since 1974's 'Goodnight Vienna' this disc will never attract plaudits, sales or critical acclaim, something Starr is well aware of. However, Ringo supporters will buy this anyway but if you're not a fan and just curious, you could do worse than get this. As the man closes in fast on his seventieth year, one wonders whether this could be his last 'solo' album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Liverpool 8, 11 Oct 2013
This review is from: Liverpool 8 (Audio CD)
Love Ringo's music. This album is just as great as his others. Have several now also DVD's. Brilliant personality, very witty. Make more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Liverpool 8, 11 April 2013
This review is from: Liverpool 8 (Audio CD)
I bought this CD to my Ringo Collection. I liked the whole CD very much.

Everything was perfect with the acquisition itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Liverpool 8, 25 Jan 2013
This review is from: Liverpool 8 (Audio CD)
I went on a coach trip to Liverpool (Beatles related) the guide or coachdriver had this CD and put it on the coach PA system and I lked it so investigated the purchase on my return and haven't been disappointed. I then purchased 2 more copies as gifts for the friends I went on the tour with

4.0 out of 5 stars Ring o Roses, 11 April 2008
Mr. Peter Steward "petersteward" (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Liverpool 8 (Audio CD)
Some artists are so difficult to review and Ringo is certainly one of those. I had a great deal of trouble with Liverpool 8 because of my pre-conceptions that poor old Ringo just cannot sing. On first play I hated this.

Then I began to consider the obvious love that had gone into producing the album and on second and third play began to enjoy it. Strangely it probably reflects on the back life of a Beatle more accurately than anything released as a solo album by the other three members of the Fab Four. Of course that doesn't mean that it's a good album but Ringo has
had a damn good try. There's a mix of up tempo numbers and ballads and passing references to Harry Nilsson and the other Beatles and much more. And of course at the heart of it all is Liverpool - which somehow has been named the 2008 European City of Culture. It is undeniably true that Liverpool has a greater heart than any other English City.

So where does Ringo fall into all of this? The title track looks back at his past and its opening from a lyrical point of view is excessively corny. Poor old Ringo seems to insist on rhyming everything so we have his mate Rory rhyming with Factory.

Interestingly the lyrics did make me google Madryn Street in Toxteth where Ringo was born. There are plans afoot to pull the street with its typical Coronation Street style houses down. Quite rightly there is a strong lobby of heritage supporters attempting to at least save Ringo's former home at number nine. I hope they succeed. It is all too easy to rip up the past without giving a thought to the affect it can have. Apart from the poetry Liverpool 8 is a strangely decent song even if at one point we do get the words "We were number one and it was fun (yuck).

The best song on the album is "Love Is" which is actually a beautiful piece. Elsewhere there's a touch of bluegrass, even some hickory gospel. It really is a huge mixed bag, but still decent enough to warrant consideration despite the usual embarrassing moments. And as Ringo says in the title track "Liverpool I left you, but I never let you down."

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, catchy relaxing album., 23 Jan 2008
G. Morgan - See all my reviews
This review is from: Liverpool 8 (Audio CD)
I am not a huge fan of Ringo as such, I am a Beatles fan- well who isn't lol. Anyway I do have his album 'Ringo' which is very good and I decided to give this new album a go and wasn't found wanting. It is a very good album; the title track is a nice song, very catchy. His album has been instrumented very well, the songs are all good. Its an album to listen to when you want to relax and that, its very easy listening. 'Pasadobles' is an interesting song as it features spanish guitar, I would say it is the best track on the album in my opinion. So if you are thinking about buying this go for it, you won't be sorry if you like catchy beats, relaxing instrumentals some kind of rocky but it only adds to the album.

Rock on Ringo, Peace and Love.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tired and old..., 25 Dec 2012
This review is from: Liverpool 8 (Audio CD)
Shockingly bad cash-in from the fan-hating worst drummer in the Beatles. I certainly won't be buying this simplistic twaddle. Peace out!

Liverpool 8
Liverpool 8 by Ringo Starr (Audio CD - 2008)