They really are lovely and so comfortable.

Published on 19 May 2012 by Mrs. K. Miller

3.0 out of 5 stars Order at least 1 size smaller than usual!
UPDATE ON SIZING: After returning the shoes, I decided to gamble again and bought a smaller size and the narrow fitting from the same seller on Amazon. Whilst they are not as good a fit as previous Madrid Birkenstocks I have bought (before the sizing changes) they are a much better fit and I've kept them. I've ended up with a size 38 which is 1-1.5 sizes smaller than my...
Published on 22 May 2012 by rosieribbons21

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely but double check your size on the Birkenstock website before buying, 19 May 2012
Mrs. K. Miller (Watford, UK) - See all my reviews
They really are lovely and so comfortable.

But a few words of advice, after having read a lot of comments about buying the narrow size instead and about the sizings in general in the reviews section. I went to the official Birkenstock UK website and under the tab "shop online" there is a sizing guide, and for women who are a size 7 in UK sizing, they state that you should purchase a size 40 in European sizing and the standard width. Unless you have narrow feet. Mine aren't especially wide or narrow and the regular width is perfect for me.

Usually I'm a 41 in European sizing. But I thought I'd order the size 40 and return it, if it didn't fit well. As that was the recommendation on their website. I have to say it fits perfectly.

I read the information on narrow or regular as well and this is what it said:

"Regular or narrow?
Even with foot health sandals the right fit is important. Therefore the Original Birkenstock foot bed is manufactured in two widths. When purchasing your Birkenstock sandals, ensure that you get the correct width.
Birkenstocks are designed to be roomy. When you first try your sandals they might feel big. Most people are fine with a regular fitting, but if your foot moves side to side when you walk and adjusting the strap does not help, a narrow fitting may be more suitable. If you want to check the width of a pair of Birkenstocks you already own, you can tell by inspecting the foot bed where there is a small image of a foot - if it's filled in the shoe is a narrow fitting, and if it's an outline it's regular.
Also all stock codes for narrow fittings end with 3"

So well worth looking at the sizing guides carefully before ordering in my opinion. Do not use the sizing info on Amazon as your only guide before buying, unless you want to run the risk of having to return them again. As on Amazon it said I should purchase the 41 not 40. Perhaps Birkenstock are just a little different than usual shoe sizes :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Birkenstocks, 8 April 2011
Absolutely love these the colour is great, only 1 piece of advice go a size smaller as they come quite large I also got the narrow and I would consider myself to have quite wide feet.

5.0 out of 5 stars birkenstock, 25 Feb. 2010
kaycee (edmonton, london) - See all my reviews
I bought a pair of Birkenstock Madrid and they are the best things I have purchased in a long time. Not only were they good value for money they are so so comfortable. I usally get pains in my feet and cannot walk without being in discomfort. Since I bought my birkenstocks all of that has changed. The sandals mould to your feet and it feels like you are walking on air. I will definately be ordering more colours to match my outfits.Birkenstock Women's Birkenstock Madrid

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit!, 29 May 2014
Love these! After reading other reviews saying the width N was regular, I ordered 39N and they are a perfect fit (I have average width feet and normally wear a size 39/6). The silver colour is fantastic, quite matt in texture and they go with everything!! Great for popping on quickly while I run around after my three children!
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Supreme foot comfort, 5 Dec. 2009
These sandals are excellent, extremely comfortable, the next best thing to being Barefoot, so my wife tells me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy, 2 Feb. 2013
Arrived on time. Lovely bright colour as shown in picture, but it wasn't easy to tell they were a gloss finish from the picture. I was expecting a matte finish.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really happy, 15 July 2013
After much deliberation about whether or nor to buy a pair of these I am so glad that I did. Comfy or what? The colour is gorgeous with a slight metalic tint to them. I was a bit dubious about what size to get too as I can fit anything from a 6 to a 7. Opting for the size 7 'normal' they are slightly a wee bit big but perfect for when my feet swell in all this gorgeous weather that we are having at the moment. Ofcourse the strap allows you to tighen or loosen off so no provbs there. They do take a bit of getting used to. I had a pair of Birks years ago and wore them to death so it's like meeting up with an old friend again. Yep I would thoroughly recommend these and infact before the summer is out Im gonna buy some more and then a pair of the shoes for winter.....

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic shoes, 10 Jun. 2013
Teresa Avis (Seaford, East Sussex. UK) - See all my reviews
really lovely shoe fab colour, soooooo comfy, now on my 10th pair of birkenstocks, I cant rate them high enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars So glad I bought these!, 11 Nov. 2013
Very happy I finally bought a pair after years of seeing them advertised and people saying how good they are. Primarily I needed something to wear in doors, and all other sandals/ flip flops that I have bought in the past makes my feet smell. These Birkenstocks are so well designed and its breathable suede leather ensures taht your feet can breathe and hence don't get sweaty and smelly! Its a little on the rigid side in terms of comfort, but after a week am totally used to it. really good investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fit and price!, 19 Jun. 2014
Although I wear normal width shoes, I need narrow fit Birkenstocks otherwise they flap around, are hard to walk in and frankly, look a little silly! Really difficult to find these without trekking into the Birkenstock shop where you pay about twice the price. Having taken the convenience route in the past and getting the standard width, I'm delighted to be back in these Birkenstocks - the silver is lovely too; not silly sparkly, just right. Great fit, great price and convenience.