5.0 out of 5 stars Nice bit of kit.
This is a good product, and the wireless technology makes it well worth the upgrade from the corded version. Simple to install, all very hassle-free. It uploads your skype contacts onto the handset, and the address book will even flag up those that are on or off-line.

Published on 31 Aug 2008 by Blue Raven

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but not for me
Published on 1 Jan 2009 by John Hopkin

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice bit of kit., 31 Aug 2008
This review is from: Sogatel - Skype compatible USB cordless internet phone - Windows 8, 7, Vista and XP

Audio quality is not perfect, but is considerably clearer than a conventional phone-line, so also a thumbs-up in this regard.

Verdict: a good functional product, reasonably priced for its features, and does what it says on the tin.

4.0 out of 5 stars User Friendly and Reasonable Price, 19 Oct 2008
Installation was really simple. The software user interface simply auto-runs whenever the computer is booted and allows you to alter the volume settings for both the microphone and the speaker. Easy to use the handset, to access your Skype phonebook, call history and to give and receive calls.

Reception has sometimes been a bit of an issue. Maybe around 10% of the time it has been a little 'choppy' when using it in a different room to the receiver.

Build quality of the whole unit is pretty good and the outer shell of the handset is very rugged, however, the LCD display sometimes displays groups of pixels that it shouldn't, but it doesn't cause a problem, just cancelling the screen can return it to how it should be.

Value for money.. Having read the review of other wireless Skype compatible phones in the same price range, this one seems to have less to fault and costs less too. As with all cheap wireless technology, there are many things that could go wrong compared to a wireless handset. But if this is your budget and you would prefer a wireless one I would choose this one over the others.

ADDITIONAL (April 2010): Ever since Skype was updated I've been having problems with this phone. Every so often the phone's display will carry on showing the last call which you've made and there's no way to get rid of it (removing the battery or rebooting the computer won't suffice). This makes navigating the phone lists impossible without using the computer display. I have been having issues with my computer but I thought I would say this just as a precaution for anyone wanting to buy one! Asides from that I'm pleased with it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but not for me, 1 Jan 2009
John Hopkin (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
For most people, this will probably be a very handy addition to their desktop clutter. It worked reasonably well from the start, not even needing an initial charge, although I had to change back the Windows (XP) audio settings before it would stop playing other sounds - music, etc - through the phone. You only need to do that once, although read the final paragraphs for a caveat.

Once installed, you'll get the ugliest icon imaginable in your systray (the little icons next to the time on your Windows screen). It's hideous, bright green and with no attempt at a 3D effect, so it looks like an icon from a 1980s freebie kids' game. Small point, but a niggle nonetheless.

It's extremely simple to operate. Even the most trembling technophobe could use one - at the very simplest, a call to a contact set up with a fast-dial number can be made by pressing the number and then the green call button; an incoming call is answer simply by pressing the green button The display is clear, the build quality solid enough, and it fits well and feels good in the hand.

The base unit connects with a USB cable - I couldn't get it to work from a hub, so you'll probably need a spare port on your computer. This provides power as well as data, so it's a pretty neat setup. There is a hands-free mode on the base unit, but the sound I got from that was terrible; on an "echo" call to Skype Test Call I could barely make out what I was saying. Not a big problem to me - after all, if I'm next to the base unit I'm next to the desktop mic and speakers, and I'd prefer to use that anyway. It will mean that headset users won't have an alternative, though.

That knocks off one star from a five-star review. There's simply no excuse these days for a hands-free unit not to give perfectly adequate sound quality.

Why the other star knocked off? Well, this will only apply to people in the same situation as me, but it's enough for me to return the product for a refund:

You simply can't use it as a supplement to your existing setup, be it mic/speakers, headset or whatever. The software is very tightly integrated between the "SkypeMate" phone software and your regular Skype window (indeed you can switch tabs on the Skype window by pressing a key on the phone ... if you want to for some strange reason of your own), which works well on most ways, but means that you cannot receive a call on your normal setup. Incoming calls will always come to the phone, no matter how it's set up. Before making an outgoing call from your computer's hardware, you need to make two changes to the setup (change audio settings, setting your sound and mic back to your soundcard), and these are overridden as soon as you use the phone to make a call or even just receive one. It's unlikely that any of the competitors will be any different here, since it's the Skype software that's at fault.

Since I'd only purchased the phone as a secondary device, intending to use it for those times when I had to be away from the computer, this renders it useless to me.

But if you bear that in mind, and are looking for a simple but effective phone to use with Skype for all calls, look no further.

5.0 out of 5 stars Skype stole my sound settings., 29 Dec 2010
Much has already been said about this phone and the vast majority of comments are correct. It is a surprisingly well made phone with the black parts being made of a rubber making it comfortable to hold, the handset doesn't feel quite so cheap as most skype phones. When it comes to sound quality, different people will have different views on just how good that is. I personally think the sound quality is equal to any dect cordless house phone. I did see mentioned in a couple of reviews about the phone kidnapping windows sound settings and people having to constantly reset them, this is a common problem with skype phones and is more to do with the skype software and windows than the phone itself, and it can be overcome by adjusting just one setting within windows, so my main reason for this review is to point out how to overcome the problem of all sounds being emitted from the phone whilst it's running. You may have to restart the skype software afterwards, I can't remember if I had to or not.

In Windows 7, simply right click on the speaker icon in the system tray and select "Playback devices" then select the playback device you would normally use for say listening to music, first things first, set it back as your default playback device and click on "Apply", then select the "Properties" button followed by the "Advanced" tab. In the advanced section untick the box which says "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" and finally click "Apply" then "OK"

Now the skype software will still use the phone for its audio and mic but it will not interfere with normal windows sounds or playback of music etc.

I don't know if there is a similar problem on XP or not, I only have a virtual copy of XP now and could not find a tick box regarding allowing applications exclusive control, the only tick box I could see was "Use default devices only" so if anyone is having a similar problem in XP it may well be worth ticking that, you can always go back and untick it if it makes no difference.

I gave it 5 stars because I think it is worth the money, setup is easy and the sound kidnapping problems are not the fault of the phone and therefore not exclusive to this model or brand.

Anyway, I hope someone finds the above info useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great wireless phone, 23 Nov 2008
Sogatel - Skype compatible USB cordless internet phone - Vista and XP
Some reviews say this is a problem with Vista - I have Vista and installed it so easily. No problem. Although it's Skype compatible I use mainly Voipcheap and one review mentioned you need a separate download to be compatible. I had no problem whatsoever, it works with both Voipcheap and Skype. Phone quality is excellent, as good speaking to Australia as the UK. A nice handset, works well in any room in the house well away from my PC. For the price this is a great phone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Completely stopped working after 6 months (but replaced)., 30 Jun 2009
E. Manoppo - See all my reviews
I bought this wireless Sogatel unit about 8 months ago. I have to admit that this phone worked well for us despite poor software appearance in the desktop and not so tidy product finishing (we had to press the unit quite hard onto the base so the battery metal touched and stay in there otherwise it would just bounce off).

The voice is OK, not a crystal clear quality but still manageable (especially with Skype where the sound quality mostly depends on the connection that we got).

The main reason I give this unit 2 stars though because all of a sudden it stopped working without any reason. Everything was just working perfectly the previous day and, bang!, it just dead.
Checked everything but found nothing wrong. I sent an e-mail to the tech support and they ask me to send the unit back. Unfortunately, I live in Norway (the unit was sent to our hotel when we visited UK) and the cost sending there is almost like buying the unit itself.

Although the problem might be solved if I follow their suggestion to send the product back, it is still unacceptable for me that this kind of failure happened quite early after we bought it.

(Edited 07/26) Got a second chance to go to the UK and Sogatel was very kind to replace the broken unit. Receive the new one without any problem so far (it's only 4 weeks old). Got an e-mail that my previous unit had a faulty handset (not the battery). Thumbs up for the support but still hoping that this is a really good product I bought.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice piece of kit from a good company, 7 Jun 2012
Had bought this phone originally in 2009 to use with a PC operating on Windows Vista system and had no problems setting it up and using it to contact family and friends around the world. However I recently bought a new PC which uses Windows 7 OS and which came with Skype pre-installed but when I plugged the phone it it would not work properly as it would not ring nor did the lcd screen show any display. I contacted Sogatel who responded very quickly and said that the phone would only work if Skypemate was installed on the pc and they gave me a direct link to download this program which saved a lot of time trying to hunt for the original installation cd that came with the phone. Having now installed Skypemate on my pc the phone works very well indeed (saved me having to buy a new phone) and I would like to thank Sogatel for their very prompt and very helpful response.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good and easy to use phone, 10 April 2012
If you are looking for an easy and basic Skype phone, this will be definetly work for you! It's very easy and intuitive to install and use and didn't give us any problem.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware, 31 Oct 2008
I bought this phone to operate from my laptop via a wireless network. I had problems making it work and I'm assuming the reason is the wireless phone was interfering with the wireless network. I could not use my internet browser with it plugged into the USB point and this problem was resolved as soon as I unplugged it. I managed to connect a call once with it plugged in. I'm going to get a wired VOIP phone and hope that works.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 29 Aug 2009
I bought this for my son as an early Christmas present. I was fed up with not being able to hear him properly with his headset. The clarity is fantastic and I am seriously thinking of getting one myself. I have a headset with a mic and would much prefer to use the phone. I am leaving lots of hints now hoping someone will treat me for Christmas!! This is such a great product that I am speading the word through my friends about it.