Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 November 2008
I originally got this album when it was first released and loved it and it is way past time that it made an appearance on CD - so thanks Krescendo. I saw the band both as headliners and as support (to Gillan) and they were always rockin' and always superb. Rock 'N'Roll Gypsies is a real boogie fest from start to finish, produced by the great Tony Wilson (Friday Rock Show producer - for whom Spider recorded a few jingles). In fact the band were managed by Maggi Farran who was of course Mrs Wilson (Tony's wife).

Although they were always labelled as Status Quo clones this was way off the mark. Sure they were influenced by the mighty Quo, but they were also influenced by a host of others too - Slade for example (anyone who saw Spider live will attest to this), they even used to cover Get Down And Get With on stage. The problem Spider had wasn't the Quo comparisons it was their own image - they seemed to be content to be a club band rather than push forward to bigger and better things. The fact that bassist Brian Burrows would throw 'sweeties' out to the crowd and would include as much inuendo into introducing some of their songs merely constrained the band rather than endear it, which was a great pity.

A couple of years ago the two guitarists (Dave 'Sniffa' Bryce and Col Harkness) actually got together (ironically with members of a Quo tribute band!) for a few laughs and played a handful of songs from this album in a London pub. The energy was still there, the talent was definitely still there......who knows a reunion at some point maybe?

Be that as it may Rock 'N' Roll Gypsies is a corker of an album which sounds as energetic and fresh now as it did all those years ago. If you're a fan of BOOGIE what are you waiting for - this CD should already be in collection!

P.S. Krescendo - how about issuing the band's live set from Gt Yarmouth, recorded by the Friday Rock Show??
on 19 January 2008
This band knew how to work an audience. One of the most hardworking outfits on the scene at the time. Never stopped touring. No frills. No airs and graces, just no nonsense rock & roll. Great stuff.
on 10 December 2009
I bought this LP on 12" way back in the days when men were men and dragons still breathed fire. I spent so long in 'Our Price' agonizing over the decision as to whether or not to invest - and it was one of my better decisions ever. I love this LP/CD and the added tracks are just perfect. As someone else just said ' if you like boogie, you must have this'. Just like early Quo, only with knobs on. Simple, basic 12-bar brilliance. Anyway, what happened to the release of the 3rd album 'Raise the Banner...'? Wasn't it supposed to follow the 1st two? Bring it on!!
on 11 August 2011
It is incredible how fresh and inspired these recordings still sound after almost 30 years. I was too young (and living in the wrong country) to enjoy Spider during their heyday and only discovered their music by picking up scratched copies of their LPs at the local lost & found in the late eighties, long after the band had disbanded. I was overjoyed that at least two albums have meanwhile been re-released on CD (still waiting for "Raise the Banner" though!!!) and I'm looking forward to the singles collection coming up shortly.

The music is still as driving and rousing as it used to be when I first heard it. If I had to decide between a single Spider album and most of what has been released in the genre after the band's demise there would be no question how I would decide. If I would have to choose ten albums to take with me on a lonely island... there would be at least two albums by Spider. Every time I listen to Col's melody lines or Sniffa's blistering solos the sun goes up! WHERE ARE THOSE GUYS NOW? A re-union is what we need!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 June 2011
I have to be nice about this as i am working with former Spider guitarist Sniffa.
Although not as good in my opinion as Raise The Banner it still has some good boogie with driven guitars and lots of attititude.
The product itself came as always in brand new and wrapped condition and on time.
on 15 August 2014
The service was great very prompt! I saw Spider supporting Gillan at Hanley Victoria Hall, when I was 9 years old! They blew the headliners away and over 30 years later, I got round to buying this album! To me, they're kinda Quo, but with a more raw edge to them. The album sounds like the guys are jamming with every ounce of passion and energy they've got. If you want rock with a good boogie groove to it, this albums a great one!
on 29 February 2016
That's right, talking about rock n roll yeah - takes me back to the NWOBHM 1980's of British rock. Excellent!
on 1 September 2014