Recently Sonos have announced that you can set up your speaker system WITHOUT one of these. I recon it's still worth having one.

Published 8 months ago by C. Couch

I bought the Play 1 + Bridge today. The sound quality is impressive for a unit this small, and when it works it works wonderfully.

Published 11 months ago by Snaithe

5.0 out of 5 stars You now don't have to use one of these, but it would be silly not to!, 3 Sept. 2014
C. Couch "Gadget Man" (Gloucestershire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sonos BRIDGE - Expand your Wireless Hi-Fi (Electronics)

Sonos can now use your existing WiFi network to connect the speakers together. However, if like me, you have a lot of devices connected to your WiFi, interference can cause problems. The Bridge sets up a completely new (hidden) network which the speakers all connect to. Each speaker connects to the network and extends it. This means the speakers can be placed outside of your WiFi network range, as long as the speaker can connect to another speaker nearby.

Whereas, using the new set up, each speaker just connects to your existing WiFi network. Each speak DOES NOT extend it, so it is reliant on the range of your router. The other problem is it may appear your speaker is able to pick up the network on the very edge of its range, however this can often be a weak connection. In order to take full advantage of the quality of the speakers the connection needs to be good enough to allow high quality audio flow, without breaks and dropouts.

In the end, if you are spending hundreds of pounds on a speaker system, £30 more is nothing. Make the most of the speakers and make sure you have a strong network connecting them, allowing you to play top quality audio. This device will do just that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent in every respect, 26 Oct. 2010
Amazon Customer "Stevie" (Durham, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sonos BRIDGE - Expand your Wireless Hi-Fi (Electronics)
The way Sonos works isn't immediately obvious so I hope it will help if I set it out as I understand it in an Idiot's Guide (you can perhaps guess who's the idiot!). For the review, please see my review of the ZP90.

Sonos attaches itself to your wifi network and allows you to play music which you have ripped onto your computer eg using iTunes.

Sonos the company provides three sorts of device:
zone players - unamplified (eg ZP90); amplified (eg ZP120); and amplified with speakers (eg S5)
a zone bridge (the item above - BR100)
a controller (eg CR200)

You need to attach a device to your wireless router, so if your router is in your living-room then you simply attach the zone player to your router and you're off. If - as at Casa Stevie - the router is in the hall then you need a zone bridge which you attach to the router so that you can have the zone player in the living-room. The zone bridge doesn't play music, it just provides a link to your router.

For more, please see my review of the ZP90.

5.0 out of 5 stars Set your Sonos Zone system free!, 20 July 2010
pacem et amorem (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sonos BRIDGE - Expand your Wireless Hi-Fi (Electronics)
I love good gadgets and therefore I love this!

You obviously need to combine this ZoneBridge with the ZonePlayer S5. I have my system supplemented with the Sonos Wireless Music Controller 200 as well. Combined with the Sonos ZonePlayer S5 and the Controller this is an amazing piece of kit. I predict that you will be as blown away by the quality and flexibilty this ZoneBridge offers as I was. The whole system is extremely easy to set up and you will be listening to superb sound within minutes.

First let me explain the different pieces of equipment:
1) The ZonePlayer S5 is where you sound comes from and what a sound!
2) The ZoneBridge connects to the router. Whilst you can directly connect your ZonePlayer S5 to the router and so save yourself a little bit of money I think when you're splashing out this amount of cash you may as well go the whole hog and get the ZoneBridge. This means that your ZonePlayer S5 can be moved to any room in the house rather than being tied to the room your router lives in. It is well worth the money to free your music!
3) The Zone Wireless Music Controller 200 is expensive but gives you ultimate flexibility as you can control your system from anywhere and it again frees you from being tied to the computer - this time to control your system. If you own and iPhone or and iPod Touch then Sonos offer a free app which allows you to control your ZonePlayer from your Apple 'i' gadget and will save you quite a substantial amount of additional expenditure.

The Sonos Zone system allows you to access all the music stored on your PC and also the option to listen to the radio. You can tune in to local stations and more - plus you can also sign up to last.fm or Napster for example to stream music. Last.fm is free and Napster offers a 30 day trial after which you would have to subscribe. You also have the obligatory aux port so you can connect other gadgets, music systems etc as you wish. By using this ZoneBridge you can move your ZonePlayer to any room and so free your music! For the relatively small amount of money this ZoneBridge costs compared to the other components it is worth every penny! Do you really want your lovely, expensive and top class sounding ZonePlayer tied to one room - the room your router lives in?

This is the best sounding and most flexible music system I have ever had the privilege to own. I wish I had the money to add more ZonePlayers - it would be amazing to have them dotted all over the house! The system definitely benefits from the ZoneBridge and wouldn't be as good without it!

I love my Zone system and think you will love yours too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic system - Flexible and expandable, 22 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Sonos BRIDGE - Expand your Wireless Hi-Fi (Electronics)
I had been aware of Sonos for a long time but hesitated about buying it - partly due to cost.

Before buying it, I had read a lot about the system and what it can (and cannot) do. It is not that complicated but I would advice anyone considering buying it to study how it works a bit and to read the reviews here and elsewhere.

What persuaded me to to buy the Sonos Bridge and one Play 1 speaker were the very positive reviews of the sound quality of the speaker and the apparent simplicity, stability, flexibility and expandability of the Sonos system.

Since the initial purchase, I have been very impressed and have since bought another Play 1 speaker (linked to the other in a Stereo Pair), a Play 3 in my kitchen and a Play 5 for my living room.

Sound quality of all speakers is fantastic.The clarity of the sound is amazing, with little or no distortion at high volumes. Again, I would encourage anybody considering buying any speaker to read about them and to hear them in a local showroom. I think each has their own advantages.

The Play 1 sounds incredible on its own, particularly considering its small size. Two Play 1's linked as a stereo pair sound even more incredible with fantastic stereo effect.

I have the Play 3 in my kitchen. While not big, my kitchen is not small either but the Play 3 easily fills it with sound.

I have the Play 5 in my sitting room and it adequately fills that room, which is decently sized, with sound. I have put the two Play 1's as a stereo pair in that room two and when all three speakers are on, the effect is fantastic.

The sound from the Play 5 is probably better than the Play 3 or Play 1 but I find it very big and bulky - too much so for my kitchen or bedroom.

This is where the flexibility and expandability come in. I can have all the speakers working together, playing the same music or have the speaker in the kitchen playing one thing and the speakers in the living room playing another. I can mute any speaker I like or adjust the volume of any individual speaker or adjust the volume of a whole set of speakers with one touch.

The whole system can be controlled with the app on my smartphone or tablet.

I will be using the system mainly with Spotify and TuneIn radio or the like. It will work too with media stored on my devices too but nowadays, I mostly listen to Spotify or TuneIn anyway.

The system is very simple to set up and to expand. In the beginning, I had terrible problems trying to add speakers but this was due to the rubbish router supplied by my Internet provider, not a problem with Sonos. I have now replaced the router and the system works brilliantly.

My only criticism now is that while the sound is extremely clear and pleasant, to my ears it does lack oomph or bass to some extent. I have played around with the equaliser settings on the speakers but still not 100 per cent satisfied. I guess buying the Sonos Sub might solve the problem but at £600, this is really, really expensive...

All in all though, I am extremely satisfied with Sonos.

2.0 out of 5 stars The chain is as strong as it's weakest link; Sonos is as great is your wifi, 26 May 2014
This review is from: Sonos BRIDGE - Expand your Wireless Hi-Fi (Electronics)

HOWEVER, it relies entirely on the strength of your wifi router for wifi transmission, and I have not yet found a way to connect through the wifi extender that we rely on for coverage around the house. So the wifi range is minuscule (we have very think walls and a very large house).

Yes, I can connect through Ethernet cable, but this is hardly the point. I have Bose and B&O speakers I can plug in my phone, wifi connection is the whole bloody point! I am disappointed and frustrated. This "weak link" should be made clear to all potential buyers. And please don't roll your eyes and say "but obviously!" For at least half the consumers "technology" is no different form "magic", we do not understand how things work and nor do we want to. Hence the rise of the "plug and play" concept.

Just make it he issue clear and tell us how to address it, if it can be addressed.

3.0 out of 5 stars range not great, 17 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Sonos BRIDGE - Expand your Wireless Hi-Fi (Electronics)
Mate's have been raving about this. Decided to pull the plug and go for it. Bought with a 3 player (cheapest on Amazon). Works great, etc etc BUT: In a largish house with lots of internal walls etc etc, I am finding the speakers are not recognised by the bridge. It has to be fairly close. When working its great. As a result I am spending a bit more money and purchasing homeplugs (TP-Link TL-PA211KIT 200Mbps Mini Powerline Ethernet Adapter - Twin Pack so that I can locate the bridge a bit more centrally (in fairness currently its at one end of the house). In addition having to purchase a NAS (WD My Book Live Personal Cloud Storage 2 TB Network Attached Storage. While I was at it, thought it would be useful to upgrade the router/modem (TP-Link TD-W8960N 300MBPS Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router for BT connections.

So all in all, although I am happy with the purchase, there are ancillary costs that should be factored in. This is costing more than I thought.

5.0 out of 5 stars Free up a zone player, 28 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Sonos BRIDGE - Expand your Wireless Hi-Fi (Electronics)
Until I purchased a ZoneBridge I had to have a zoneplayer hardwired to my router in order for the SONOS network to gain access to my music library on my PC.

I wanted to free up this ZonePlayer and place it in the family room. So this ZoneBridge fitted the bill perfectly. It now connects to the router, communicates with the PC and sends the music wirelessly to the other ZonePlayers around the house.

To make your Sonos system truely independent, buy a NAS (network attached storage), connect it to your router, store all your music on it and then you don't need you PC on at all for your SONOS to play music.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 20 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Sonos BRIDGE - Expand your Wireless Hi-Fi (Electronics)
The first Bridge I got lasted about 6 weeks before it simply decided to stop working. Luckily, I was able to send it back via Amazon (they came and collected it!) and get a new one delivered within a few days! I was very impressed. Now the new one is working as expected and I can now control the sound on my PlayBar from my Samsung phone! It is brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars sonos is great, 22 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Sonos BRIDGE - Expand your Wireless Hi-Fi (Electronics)
Works really well. Have sound all round the house. Connection was very very easy. Just ensure you have a good broadband system

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up and flawless performance., 18 May 2014
This review is from: Sonos BRIDGE - Expand your Wireless Hi-Fi (Electronics)
My system comprises of 1 bridge and two Play:1 speakers.

Setting up:
Set up was incredibly straightforward. They are well packaged and taking the items out of the box took longer than getting them all talking to each other, each item felt heavy for it's size, hopefully a sign of good build quality. I have the bridge connected to my router via a powerline extender, which caused zero issues. Then 1 speaker in a bedroom and the other in the living room. Once everything is set up and plugged in you just need to install an app on either a computer or a table/smartphone and follow the instructions for each device, starting with the bridge. You need to press one of the buttons on each device to get it to register and that's it! When connecting the components to the wireless network one of the speakers did request a software update, but even this was handled easily through the app.

For speed of setup install the app on any devices and import your music library to the desktop software (available on the Sonos website) ahead of receiving the system. Things would have been faster for me if I had spotted the PC software on the Sonos website before I received the hardware, the apps aren't hard to find but they don't jump out at you either, you only need them if you want to stream music from your PC or mac, again, this software is straight forward to use, once you point it to a folder you can update new songs easily via any of the controllers. I have used the apps on Android with a Nexus 5 and Apple with an iPod and an iPad, I know others have described them as buggy, but I have found no issues other than the app crashing out if you are out of wireless range, but you can't really use it anyway if this is the case.

Use: from the marketing sonos use to describe each speaker type I was half expecting to be disappointed with the bass from the Play:1, I'm no audiophile so to me the quality was rich and the bass was more than enough, my rooms are small so these speakers had no issue filling them with a great sound. you can easily play separate songs in each room, group the speakers to all play the same thing and even make a stereo pair. You can do all the thing you expect to so with a music player... browse your music, create playlists, identify favourites, set to auto repeat. Playback has always been instant and I've never had any kind of lag. If you don't want to have a computer on to listen to music there are a few options, music streaming services, internet radio etc.The only ones I have tried so far are internet radio and streaming directly from an iPod/iPad, again, there's no lag or buffering here.

I really like this system, I'd been interested in Sonos for a while, but the price was just too high for me to take the plunge until they brought out the Play:1. Now I'm glad I did and I will probably add a few more components soon, another Play 1 to make a stereo pair in the living room will probably be next, but I'd love to get the Play:5 too!

Pro's: Easy set up, you don;t have to be technical to do this at all. Fantastic sound and a heavy, solid feel to the kit.
Cons: Cost of some of the components seems very high (Connect especially).

If you are looking for a quality music streaming system that is easily extended and has a range of components to suit your needs, I'd definitely recommend Sonos, a few of my friends also have them and they have all said great things about them too.

Sonos BRIDGE - Expand your Wireless Hi-Fi