5.0 out of 5 stars Set your Sonos Zone system free!
I love good gadgets and therefore I love this!

Published on 20 July 2010 by pacem et amorem

3.0 out of 5 stars range not great
Published on 17 Dec 2011 by Tyler Durden

5.0 out of 5 stars Set your Sonos Zone system free!, 20 July 2010
pacem et amorem (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sonos BRIDGE - Expand your Wireless Hi-Fi (Personal Computers)
I love good gadgets and therefore I love this!

You obviously need to combine this ZoneBridge with the ZonePlayer S5. I have my system supplemented with the Sonos Wireless Music Controller 200 as well. Combined with the Sonos ZonePlayer S5 and the Controller this is an amazing piece of kit. I predict that you will be as blown away by the quality and flexibilty this ZoneBridge offers as I was. The whole system is extremely easy to set up and you will be listening to superb sound within minutes.

First let me explain the different pieces of equipment:
1) The ZonePlayer S5 is where you sound comes from and what a sound!
2) The ZoneBridge connects to the router. Whilst you can directly connect your ZonePlayer S5 to the router and so save yourself a little bit of money I think when you're splashing out this amount of cash you may as well go the whole hog and get the ZoneBridge. This means that your ZonePlayer S5 can be moved to any room in the house rather than being tied to the room your router lives in. It is well worth the money to free your music!
3) The Zone Wireless Music Controller 200 is expensive but gives you ultimate flexibility as you can control your system from anywhere and it again frees you from being tied to the computer - this time to control your system. If you own and iPhone or and iPod Touch then Sonos offer a free app which allows you to control your ZonePlayer from your Apple 'i' gadget and will save you quite a substantial amount of additional expenditure.

The Sonos Zone system allows you to access all the music stored on your PC and also the option to listen to the radio. You can tune in to local stations and more - plus you can also sign up to last.fm or Napster for example to stream music. Last.fm is free and Napster offers a 30 day trial after which you would have to subscribe. You also have the obligatory aux port so you can connect other gadgets, music systems etc as you wish. By using this ZoneBridge you can move your ZonePlayer to any room and so free your music! For the relatively small amount of money this ZoneBridge costs compared to the other components it is worth every penny! Do you really want your lovely, expensive and top class sounding ZonePlayer tied to one room - the room your router lives in?

This is the best sounding and most flexible music system I have ever had the privilege to own. I wish I had the money to add more ZonePlayers - it would be amazing to have them dotted all over the house! The system definitely benefits from the ZoneBridge and wouldn't be as good without it!

I love my Zone system and think you will love yours too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent in every respect, 26 Oct 2010
Amazon Customer "Stevie" (Durham, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The way Sonos works isn't immediately obvious so I hope it will help if I set it out as I understand it in an Idiot's Guide (you can perhaps guess who's the idiot!). For the review, please see my review of the ZP90.

Sonos attaches itself to your wifi network and allows you to play music which you have ripped onto your computer eg using iTunes.

Sonos the company provides three sorts of device:
zone players - unamplified (eg ZP90); amplified (eg ZP120); and amplified with speakers (eg S5)
a zone bridge (the item above - BR100)
a controller (eg CR200)

You need to attach a device to your wireless router, so if your router is in your living-room then you simply attach the zone player to your router and you're off. If - as at Casa Stevie - the router is in the hall then you need a zone bridge which you attach to the router so that you can have the zone player in the living-room. The zone bridge doesn't play music, it just provides a link to your router.

For more, please see my review of the ZP90.

3.0 out of 5 stars range not great, 17 Dec 2011
Mate's have been raving about this. Decided to pull the plug and go for it. Bought with a 3 player (cheapest on Amazon). Works great, etc etc BUT: In a largish house with lots of internal walls etc etc, I am finding the speakers are not recognised by the bridge. It has to be fairly close. When working its great. As a result I am spending a bit more money and purchasing homeplugs (TP-Link TL-PA211KIT 200Mbps Mini Powerline Ethernet Adapter - Twin Pack so that I can locate the bridge a bit more centrally (in fairness currently its at one end of the house). In addition having to purchase a NAS (WD My Book Live Personal Cloud Storage 2 TB Network Attached Storage. While I was at it, thought it would be useful to upgrade the router/modem (TP-Link TD-W8960N 300MBPS Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router for BT connections.

So all in all, although I am happy with the purchase, there are ancillary costs that should be factored in. This is costing more than I thought.

5.0 out of 5 stars Free up a zone player, 28 Feb 2008
Until I purchased a ZoneBridge I had to have a zoneplayer hardwired to my router in order for the SONOS network to gain access to my music library on my PC.

I wanted to free up this ZonePlayer and place it in the family room. So this ZoneBridge fitted the bill perfectly. It now connects to the router, communicates with the PC and sends the music wirelessly to the other ZonePlayers around the house.

To make your Sonos system truely independent, buy a NAS (network attached storage), connect it to your router, store all your music on it and then you don't need you PC on at all for your SONOS to play music.

5.0 out of 5 stars sonos is great, 22 Mar 2014
Works really well. Have sound all round the house. Connection was very very easy. Just ensure you have a good broadband system

5.0 out of 5 stars Setting up wireless music, 21 Nov 2012
Very simple to set up with basic wireless knowledge. Just download Sonos app and it does it all for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars just what you need., 18 July 2010
Mad Saint Uden "Mad Saint Uden - it's an anagram" (Kent - UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I am actually going to review three products from the same series that interlink.
Sonos Systems ZonePlayer - S5 Black
Sonos BR100UK1 ZoneBridge 100 Wireless Music Controller
Sonos Wireless Music Controller 200
The beginning of each review is the same for one reason; when you open the box you get the same thing & as it's very helpful I want to mention it each time just in case the reader doesn't need to buy all three & doesn't read all three reviews...if you have read one skip the next parapraph.

When you open the box you see a clearly printed cd sized sheet which tells you in large writing what to do if you get stuck & that no question is too small or too big. As I was initially setting up the whole system at one time this was quite reassuring as my first thoughts were ` where do I start?' underneath this sheet is another - the quick set up guide which clearly shows for steps to get set up (answering my earlier question about where to start) the first step shows the different options depending on which components you have purchased. Following this guide I had the system set up in less than 10 minutes (including unpacking time), with no problems, queries or mistakes. I genuinely believe if you can read you can set this up.

The zonebridge plugs with a cable (supplied) directly into your router & into a mains plug (plug supplied) it is about 4 inches square and stands about 2 inches high. Very sleek and understated. It matches the colouring of my wii & sits on my dvd player without blocking any air vents. It feels sturdy, the sockets feel secure as does the one button.

This is set up with power on at all times but when not in use switches to low power mode.

As for linking to the rest of the system, following the instructions it connected immediately and has yet to drop the signal. It has provided no problems and I'm very happy with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars A better solution if you have an Apple-based network, 21 July 2014
I've just set up a Sonos system linked to a Mac based network. After much faffing around, the Bridge connected OK, but I couldn't get the Play1 to appear. The Sonos website is pretty useless, but we had some stellar help from one of their Customer Service guys.

He very patiently explored various options, and we learned the following:

1) The Sonos Bridge sets up its own wi-fi network and this is easily interfered with by the home network, especially in an old house where you have thick walls and repeaters.

2) You need a pretty clear run between the Bridge and the Play1, no metal bits in between.

3) In the end we abandoned the Bridge and hooked the Play1 direct into an Airport Express by ethernet cable. This worked fine. I will probably buy a Play3 for the living room and get another Airport Express for that.

If you have a problem, just call the customer service!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely fantastic, 4 July 2014
rock solid wireless music. Puts airplay to shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sonos - we salute you!, 3 July 2014
This is a ' must have' for your Sonos system. I bought this and a Play 3, linked them effortlessly and now my house is filled with music!

So easy to set up, will be buying more speakers to expand the system