on 15 January 2008
I did the usual amount of Internet research that I do before I buy almost anything, and found that vast majority of comment was very positive although I was surprised that nobody mentioned the one failing in an otherwise excellent product.
That failing is that it can only be charged in-car via a 12v lead (supplied). Obviously, you need to use the unit when in the car, so charging it means that it can't be used on the visor, as there'd be a lead dangling in front of your eyes. The instructions say that the microphone should be directly in front of the mouth, because of this, it can't be mounted elsewhere. A mains charger would be a big improvement.
Apart from this relatively small gripe, it does exactly what it says on the tin, or rather it's plastic packaging.
The set-up is very easy; it automatically downloaded the handset (a Sony Ericsson K8ooi) phone book very quickly after following the spoken prompts. The speech is very clear during a call and the volume can be turned up very loud without any loss of clarity.
The text to speech conversion is amazing, it's so clear when announcing the caller that there's no mistaking who's on the line. It announces when the call has ended, when it has connected with the handset, and when it powers up and down. Because you don't need to look at the handset to see who's calling or to answer, you don't need to take your eyes off the road. This must mean that road safety is improved.
Summary: I would have given the Visor Voice five stars but for the lack of a mains charger, however, I thoroughly recommend it despite that.

Update March 2011. I've been using this for 3 years now and it's still going strong! The battery life is amazing, and I've had no problems whatsoever with it, that's why I'm changing my rating to 5 Stars!

Update December 2012. It's still in daily use and still working perfectly.
1010 comments| 121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 December 2007
Good hands free option for your car - better than an earpiece as mine keeps falling off. Once you have mastered how to send and receive it is quite easy to use. The contacts download from your phone to the hands free automatically in a few seconds. You do have to speak quickly when making a voice activated call and say the name as you did when you recorded the voice tag. When a call is being received the unit tells you who is calling (if the caller is listed in your phone book). When I made a call I couldn't at first hear my caller although he could hear me - on some phones you then have to press the green button for 1 second to transfer the audio from the phone to the unit.
on 17 March 2008
I have had 3 bluetooth visor speakers in the last 12 months and they have all been so bad that it is impossible to have a conversation - then I bought this one and it is fantastic. Everyone can hear me perfectly and I can hear them. It announces who is calling and you just shout "OK" to take the call. You can voice dial too if your phone supports voice dialling. The clip supplied fits the visor and the unit attaches with magnets so it is easy to take off and hide away when not in use. Also the battery lasts for ages. I cannot praise it enough, especially after all the bad buys I had before.
on 8 February 2009
Firstly, I would like to make a comment on a couple of the other low star "reviews"
I have a Nokia 6300 and it pairs just fine with the Supertooth. Secondly, to the reviewer who imagined this thing reads text messages...was that comment for real? TTS or "Text to speech", doesn't claim to read text messages. It's for announcing incoming callers names etc.

For the price, the Supertooth is a brilliant bit of kit. Once charged, it seems to last forever 'till the next charge. I've never turned mine off and have only charged it once. Once paired, It connects automatically everytime the phone is near the unit. Clarity of incoming and outgoing calls is very good. The unit is super portable, so you can take it from car to car. The fixing method is superb. (shame there aren't two metal clips though- one for each car)

The voice activated answer is great and means you dont have to touch your 'phone at all to accept a call. Also, if your phone supports it you can call via your voice, although I haven't tried this yet.

The comments about the little flashing blue light being annoying on a night are right, but you can easily work around this by either covering it with a spot of blu-tack, or (as I do) tilt the sun visor down a couple of degrees!

I bought this because I don't want the expense and hassle of a wired in system and dont like the bluetooth headsets. I thought it would just be "OK", but it is SO much better than "ok".
on 5 November 2008
What a great bit of kit. I am well impressed. I purchased this for my new 307cc as my 206cc had a car kit installed which went when selling the car. I read a lot of reviews before purchasing this and I am glad that I did. The unit paired easily with my N95 8GB and although it didn't automatically transfer the phonebook the simple process to do it manually worked quickly and set up in under a minute. The automatic answering is great and voice clarity is outstanding. The unit also looks good. Although the unit only comes with a car charger my USB cable for my phone fits it and it charges via the PC or the USB mains adapter that I have so charging not a problem wherever I am. I would certainly purchase this item again and recommend it to family and friends. You will not be disappointed with this item.
on 6 August 2008
Bluetooth® Freisprechanlage SuperTooth Voice (schwarz)
I purchased the Supertooth Visor Voice and was totally disapointed that it would not connect to the Nokia E61, Nokia 6300 or Nokia 6301, or a Blackberry 8700, despite entering 0000. Not really impressed!
On the back of the device is a service support email reference - not worth mailing it as they do not respond.
33 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 December 2007
What an excelent bit of kit this is, easy to set up and easy to use.
It will work either on the sun visor or anywhere else that is within 5 meters of your mouth,and if it keeps you safe on the road and points free what more can you ask.
VINE VOICEon 22 February 2009
I bought this product in preference to a fitted hands-free kit because I use hire cars sometimes on business and wanted to be able to take the hands-free with me.

I was worried that the sound quality would be compromised and not loud enough but I am delighted to say that this unit, although compact, is very powerful and speech is very clear with no loss of clarity even when the volume is turned right up. I haven't tried it at motorway speeds yet though.

I have a Nokia 6680 which I anticipated might be awkward to pair with the unit. Initially, I thought the phone would not pair at all and got frustrated, but then I read the phone instructions and the Supertooth instructions properly (make sure you take the time to do this!!!) and managed to figure it out. Turns out I was trying to sync the phone to the unit rather than pair it, opps!
Once I had learned how to pair rather than sync it all was very straightforward, and the voice prompts on the Visor Voice are helpful telling you if its worked or not.

It's worth noting that my phone (like a lot of others which I believe are what is known as Symbian phones?) does not support automatic phonebook transfer but its easy to do if you go into your phone book and open a contact. From the menu, select 'Mark all' then from the menu select 'send via bluetooth' then select the Supertooth as the destination device. My phone sent each contact as a business card but it's fine and the Supertooth Voice will store them in the same way as if it has been an automatic phonebook transfer.

The Visor Voice is sleek and elegant and feels well-made and solid. The magnets are really strong and the clip fits nice and tightly on my visor so I won't worry about it dropping off.

I have tried answering the calls by saying 'OK' and the Visor Voice connects the caller with about a one second delay - it might take a few goes to get used to pausing before you start chatting away - the person at the other end doesn't get connected instantaneously so they might miss the first few words you say to them!
I haven't tried making a call through Visor Voice using the voice tags I recorded against each of my phonebook contacts yet but it'll be fun trying it out.

I think the tiny blue blinking light will be a distraction at night so I'll just paint over it with a tiny dot of car touch-in paint, I'll know that its working anyway because you hear the voice prompts to say its paired etc.

I'm going to get a cheap SatNav case for it from e-bay to protect it from scratches in my hand luggage when I travel. My case for my Garmin Nuvi 250W is the right size and they are available for £2.99 upwards so it's worth getting one if you intend to move the unit about a lot.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the Supertooth and it's going to be so nice not to have to stop at the side of the road every time my phone rings!

EDIT: 3 March 09 - I noticed someone else said that they had to reset the Supertooth to the factory settings every time they wanted to change to a different phone because it wouldn't pair with more than one. This is incorrect - it can be paired with up to 8 phones but will only be sync'ed with one at a time. (If you need several phones to be sync'ed at once eg a work and personal phone, buy the Supertooth ONE, which can handle two phones at the same time)

To swap between phones that you have already paired to the unit, all you need to do is make sure the bluetooth on the phone you don't want to connect is switched to 'Off'. Then go into the menu of the one you want to connect and go into the bluetooth menu. If you have previously paired it to the Supertooth at some point simply select 'Connect' (which on my 6680 is under the Sync menu) and on my boyfriends Nokia is just under 'Bluetooth'. The Supertooth will then connect to it once it knows which phone its supposed to be looking for. You do not need to reset the factory defaults, Supertooth will store up to 8 phonebooks for 8 different phones at once - you just need to tell it which phone to look for!
on 31 August 2008
My car is a 1993 Renault diesel with 150,000 miles on the clock. A stiff test,then, for the Supertooth Voice noise reduction system. It passed with flying colours, clear sound, easy setup with a Sony Ericsson K750i, even the voice control works well. It fits nicely on the visor, being about the size and weight of a mobile phone. Charging is less convenient for me as the Renault cigar lighter is turned off unless the engine is on (the French only smoke when driving, apparently), but the Voice does charge from a PC through a digital camera lead, not mentioned in the instructions but useful. Apart from professionally installed systems, this is the best handsfree I have seen.
on 16 February 2009
I recently sold my car which had a professionally fitted handsfree kit and needed something to replace it. I do not like bluetooth ear pieces so I was glad to find the Supertooth. It was easy to set up with both my husband's Nokia N73 and even easier with my Nokia 6120. Both the reception and transmission are very clear and bought with the Motorola mains charger is great value for money. The only problem I have found is that when out of the car my phone did not ring in my pocket even though I was more than ten metres from the car, so it is worth remebering to turn off the unit when you leave the vehicle. Great buy though...Jan