5.0 out of 5 stars Well made, Easy to setup, Stylish
Myself and a large group of friends decided buy this for Glastonbury Festival and we all agreed it's the best purchase we've ever made!

Published 13 months ago by Taheen

3.0 out of 5 stars Good shelter but dont use in windy conditions!
Published on 27 May 2011 by Mr. M. D. Lawson

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made, Easy to setup, Stylish, 16 Nov 2013

Where to start, firstly the shelter is really well made. The material is made up of a thick water resistant type canvas which seems as though it'd take a beating. At the end of the festival we took a pack of wet wipes and went over a few spots which had become grubby and the mud lifted off without any effort at all.

The pole design knocked us off kilter a bit at first because we didn't realise how simple the mechanism/design actually was. It's very similar to the design of a tent but on a larger scale, with elasticated lengths of 'string' inside a bar with female/male fixings on the end. There are 4 large semi circle spans which connect at the feet and then 4 bars which connect to a central hub in the middle. The bars are fixed with wire click fittings and once they're in place they're very sturdy! It's difficult to see how the design works until you begin to put it up, but it really isn't difficult once you figure it out.

I'd recommend at least 2 people to put it up, I do think it could be done solo but there would be real difficulties for some stages without an extra pair of hands.

We've bought Gazebo's before, you know the drill, pay £60 for a cheap Gazebo, everything goes well for the first day until it rains and a gale above 3 mph decides to swoop upon your camp. On one of the days at the festival it really kicked up a storm and we were worried that the shelter wouldn't hold out. 6 Hours of rain/wind later there were 15 happy customers. As long as you guy rope the shelter out and peg the feet down I can't see there being any issues it collapsing.

Weight - The only thing that I would be weary of is the weight of the shelter. If you were on a camp site and the distance from the car/camp wasn't too far then it wouldn't be too much of a problem. However if you're at a Festival like we were, then I'd suggest having a dedicated trolley for the walk from the coach/campsite. We were lucky in that someone had a trolley with room on it but I could see it being a real nightmare if you tried to carry it between a few of you.

Would recommend this to anyone. If you're looking for a long term solution for a Festival shelter then look no further!

5.0 out of 5 stars MM, 10 Aug 2012
This is a first class product. It is easy to put up and take down. It is well built and engineered and is very stable in the wind.
Just for info there is a long tape in the bag which is not refered to in the instructions. It has three small ring joins in it and these should be positioned at three of the leg joints, the longer diagonal then joins two opposite legs. This ensures that the legs are square and eases the fitting of the poles into the feet.
Very very very pleased.
Just about to order some sides.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good shelter but dont use in windy conditions!, 27 May 2011
This review is from: Coleman Event Shelter 15 feet x 15 feet (Sports)
I bought one last year and it was probably the best purchase I have made. Unfortunately our fist camping trip this year had moderately gusty winds and before we could get it down - one of the poles bent. Coleman DO NOT SELL ANY SPARES for this product and suggested I bought a second one to use for spares!!!! Very clever way of making a lot more money! I wish there was something on the market that matches this but unfortunately there isn't :(

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value and beats a gazebo, 21 Sep 2014
A. D. Clift (Bromley Kent UK) - See all my reviews
For many years I have publicised a youth group at fetes and fairs and threw away many cheap gazebos before buying a VERY expensive army 12 X 12 tent. I am now doing the same for a different organisation that can't afford the expensive tent or a professional quality gazebo so a Coleman Event Shelter seemed likely to be better than a gazebo and a lot cheaper than other options.

So far I am very happy. After one test erection in our garden (it just fitted) my wife and I have just used it for its first public outing. It went together very quickly and easily and we quite enjoyed watching people on other stands trying to figure out how to put their gazebo poles together or slowly expand their "quick erect" gazebo without breaking something. The Coleman is very easy as there are just four "arches", one long centre section and two short sections. The poles in each section are permanently joined so there are just seven pole sections to clip together. The covering fits easily into place and job done.

A couple of comments on other reviews we read before purchase.

First. I have seen comments that there is a long section of tape included which is not mentioned in the instructions and the instructions are poor. The tape is actually very clearly mentioned in the instructions and is very useful. The tape forms a 12 foot square with a diagonal tape ensuring it stays square when place on the ground. Lay this down before assembling the poles and you know the amount of space needed. After erection placing the feet on the corners ensures you have a perfect square. As far as the instructions being poor I would not know. The shelter goes up so easily we did not really need them.

Second. While many reviews comment on the shelter being good in the wind others complain that it broke easily or was no good in a wind. I am an experienced Mountain Leader and over the years have found that a tent's resistance to weather has as much to do with the way it is erected as the way it is manufactured. This shelter seems quite well made but care is needed to avoid straining the relatively lightweight poles and joints while erecting. That is no different really to my VERY expensive four season backpacking tent which will stand up to any weather but I have twice broken poles when erecting it. Once erected and correctly guyed this shelter should be able to withstand a bit of wind but I doubt it will keep out driving rain due to the air vents in the roof.

We bought three sides for ours which makes for a good roomy display area and I am sure it will last long enough to pay back the relatively small investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 7 Aug 2009
This review is from: Coleman Event Shelter 15 feet x 15 feet (Sports)
I bought this to use on decking in case of a shower during a party, it rained heavily all day! Despite not claiming to be waterproof, it worked very well to keep the water out, with 95% of the water running down the legs. You can fit a lot of people under it and it really saved the day. Then used it again camping as a large porch, again it worked very well and suffered a lot of rain.

Only downside is it says not to keep it up for more than a few days at a time, so it's not for a permanent install, which dashed my plans to use it as a sun shade all summer!

Looks great. Friend was so impressed he bought one for his party.

1.0 out of 5 stars One puff of wind and it broke, 21 April 2014
I brough this in Jan 2014 but did not use it until April. put it up in the garden.pegged down No great wind blowing. Heard a crash
the event tent had an event and blown over two poles snapped and a tear in the cloth. Not impressed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant piece of kit, 28 Aug 2014
Must admit I was a little unsure about this shelter after reading the negative reviews, but needed something for camping trip with rubbish weather forecast. (We took the precaution of using a waterproofing spray on the canopy first when it arrived) pitched the shelter in pouring rain and and 30 mph winds, used decent rock pegs and made sure all the guy ropes were secure. Had supper under it and marvelled at how dry we were! Next day the wind picked up to 35mph, the campervan was rocking, 4 caravans on the site lost their awnings but our shelter was still rock solid. There was a few drips by now, but I could forgive that given the torrential and sustained rain we had. All in all, this proved a life saver. It does take 2 to erect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than a gazebo, 11 Feb 2013
Quite easy to construct. Very sturdy. Looking forward to using it as an outdoor cooking when off to France camping in June this year.

4.0 out of 5 stars Versatile product, 15 Jun 2012
This review is from: Coleman Event Shelter 15 feet x 15 feet (Sports)
The shelter comes in a well constructed carry bag. On opening up the bag good visual assembly instructions are found. Following these my husband and I had the shelter errected in about 10 minutes. This became faster with some practice and faster again with four people. The construction is very clever and practical and when all tensioners are in place and all velcro bands closed it provided an amazing interior volume that has been used as a band stand, a shelter for craft stalls and a garden party food tent. One or two sun walls provide very good protection from sun or wind.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for windy conditions!!!, 31 Aug 2012
This review is from: Coleman Event Shelter 15 feet x 15 feet (Sports)
I borrowed this from a friend unfortunately, as an addition to our tent space for a week. If it works for you, great.
However I have three gripes.
It came down in what were admittedly windy conditions, however these blew up in the night. We had no idea it would be that windy as we went to bed........the only way to avoid this is to take the awning off the poles every night or whenever you leave the shelter for a long time. Our bell tent felt the wind but didn't budge.

Once it comes down, the parts are not particularly strong so we suffered damage in four separate places, two bent poles (in different sections), one split foot, a guy fope attachment ripped away from the sheet and a rip in the sheet.

Coleman not only have no interest in supplying spares but have the nerve to suggest you buy a second event shelter to replace parts with. Obviously some people have followed this advice as there are sets of poles on a well-known auction site. However the poles for the side, middle and roof sections have different lengths and curvatures meaning they cannot be interchanged. A company called LSR will offer replacements, and several others but they seem to work on the same principle, buy complete shelters and split them up, which makes it quite dear (52 quid plus postage in my case).

Be aware of the replacement problem before you buy.
(I am not generally a moaner!)

Coleman Event Shelter 15 feet x 15 feet