on 2 July 2009
This speaker sounds far far better than you would expect from such a small unit the sound quality is excellent. The only real problem is the way you turn it on and off which is by twisting the top it can be difficult to grip if your hands are not completley dry and even harder is you have small hands as the twist action is very stiff to say the least, also the cable is a bit short. If these problems were removed it would have got 5 stars because it's a good looking great sounding unit.
on 1 May 2009
This speaker sounds surprisingly incredible. You won't believe how good it sounds, even at loud volume. If turning the source up to full blast you will experience distortion but only at the absolute maximum. If using an iPod, you can get the volume up to about 4/5s before distortion kicks in.

Only trouble we had with it is the twist action on/off. When you first get this it is really stiff, but just click it on/off a few times and it loosens up. Battery life is excellent also.
on 10 September 2008
I've never reviewed a product on Amazon before, but this item is just incredible for its size and price that I have to recommend it.

The sound is clear, the bass is very acceptable for portable speakers and its 360degree sound is a fantastic feature. In addition to that, I love its design! It's simple and elegantly designed with a weightiness that gives it a sense of quality, but would not be considered heavy in the slightest.

It's a robust little unit that fits in your palm and has no dock or hinges to fiddle around with, plus you can lie it on its back, making use of its 360 degree sound to fill a room, or stand it on its side for more directional sound. The lack of a dock may pose a problem to some and, as others have mentioned, the on/off switch is a bit stiff. I don't see the latter to be a problem though, since I'll be sure it won't turn itself on in my bag and drain its batteries!
on 19 November 2008
For the price this is great value for money. I wasn't expecting fantastic sound quality at this price-point but it's deffo useable. I use mine with my iPod Touch in the bathroom for when I'm shaving/showering and I'd happily take it away for use in a hotel room or if I went camping.

Build quality- it's mainly plastic- the power switch is a plastic "collar" you twist for on and off. Powered by 3x AAA batteries.

The lead is about 4 inches long. It's hard-wired into the speaker housing and there's a narrow slot around the outside of the case to wrap the cable into and a little holder to tuck the plug into.

Volume's fantastic for the size- there's no volume control on the unit though, to adjust you'll have to use your player.

For the money, I'd deffo recommend it.
on 6 April 2011
as it turns out, this is an amazing speaker. guys, its 14 pounds. whats to fault. before i begin, i am a type of adiophile, so music quality, and speakers are important to me. for a portable speaker, it purfect. sounds great, mids are good, highs are crisp. where you [put this speaker is also important~! hard surfaces are good, and soft surfaces are better, ie, bedding, clothing, e.c.t.
bass-0 the most important thing to some people. thisis a portable speaker, not a thumping 1000w subwoofer. there is a little bit off bass, but its not mwnt for bass, if you want bass, go and get a subwoofer, or a massive sound system, this is iether a laptop speaker, or a speaker that fits in your pocket for you iphone, ipod or phone. anything with a 3.5mm headphoe jack. in the box is a 2 year warranty, a 2.5 mm adaptor, and sony erricson addaptor for sonys own jack, probz the worst invention on the planet, and the unit. the complains about the difficult on off switch? rubbish, if you have greasy hand, then its tough, but if your hands are clean, it goes on and off easy! it gets distorted at high volume, but i mean, really high, this thing is so loud! but otherwise, cant fault it, purfet, 10/10. quick note- takes 3 aaa batterys, last 24 hours ;)
if u lookin at this, get it, u will not be dissapointed at this amazing speaker. u must remember, its small, its portable, its a single speaker, its not ment to be a bower and wilikins zepplin, it £14, and for the price better than most low end cd players, fantastic :)
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 June 2009
At first i was over the moon,price and quality were fantastic but within 2 weeks the sound has gone all distorted and crackly! Having to send it back.
on 27 January 2009
Yes, the ring power device is fiddly, I know it sounds odd, just use less pressure.

I'm getting another one, because it doesn't like rough treatment and extremes of cold, so the cone has blown.

I'm getting another one, because its really, really good, small, high volume and quite bassy and perfect along as it is treated with respect, I would never have paid £45 for it though.
on 9 September 2008
I finally got one of these last weekend and I must say it is way better that I expected!

For such a small unit, it is seriously LOUD and actually has some bass too. Works well with any genre of music...as My girlfriend found - she hogged the thing for most of our trip!

I used mine with a Sansa e270 and an iPod Shuffle. Great by the pool, booming in the hotel room with no complaints.

I imagine it will a great aid for getting my on back - on those lovely people who use their mobiles to play loud, annoying, tinny, music on public transport! Tee-hee!

A good, no-fuss product, which you won't regret buying.
on 13 June 2009
This little piece of kit is mind blowingly loud for it's size. Amazing sound clarity, depth and effect. One has to start playing it to believe it. For it's price, you are certainly in for a bargain. The best part of it is portability. I am thoroughly impressed. It may just be a fluke for it's manufacturer's to get everything right, from it's size to the quality of sound (surely not much invested in R&D) and the low price, certainly a winner for the customers as it delivers in all fronts. Highly recommended for all those who are looking for a travel companion with a good quality sound reproduction. Go for it :)
on 14 May 2009
Altec Lansing Orbit portable MP3/iPod speaker

Product came promptly and is incredible value for money compared with the alternatives on offer. And it does just what all the other reviewers suggest: big performance from a compact with good clarity of sound for general use.
And, yes, it's only drawback is the fiddly on/off swivelling which I still haven't mastered (I keep taking batteries out instead!, although my husband seems to get it right about 60% of the time. Don't let it put you off if you want a great little workhorse.