5.0 out of 5 stars Solid common-sense discipline.
Published on 7 Jun. 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars No love, no logic here!
There are so many better parenting books out now that there is no need to read this one! Where is the love & logic in hitting a child under the age of 3 over & over until he complies? Where is the logic in letting a dog be gassed at the dog pound instead of feeding it? One part of the child rearing technique is called Basic German Shepherd commands (come, sit,...
Published on 19 Jun. 1998

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid common-sense discipline., 7 Jun. 1999
By A Customer
An excellent book of ideas on how to raise responsible, capable young people. Gives you the ideas you need to let your children learn the skills necessary for becoming fine young adults. I think this book is best for older children (over 10) who are basically good kids. If you have an older one out of control I'd suggest Parent in Control by Greg Bodenhamer. For the younger set (under 10) I'd read Perfect Parenting and/or Kid Cooperation by Elizabeth Pantley

5.0 out of 5 stars The basic precept is: Give your child a choice, 27 Jun. 2001
By A Customer
By offering a choice you offer the opportunity to think. Helping your child to think for themselves does a number of things. It alters their emotions from "No Way" to "this or that". It offers them a measure of control over their own lives. It recognises that they are sentinent beings, with equal potential, with however, less experience. This book highlights the need to restrain our negaive emotions when dealing with Negative emotions thrown at us by the kids. It suggests letting the kids react, but doing it somewhere other than where the parent is - either the kid moves or the parent does. The ideas in this book are basically good. I expect most of us have thought them, (after reacting when it doesn't help us). The only problem with this book is the same as so many others, remembering to step back, and not expecting ourselves to be super human.

5.0 out of 5 stars Family in crisis, found hope and resolution in Love & Logic., 23 July 1998
By A Customer
My husband and I have enrolled in many parenting classes, but when our teenage daughter began getting into trouble, hanging around a different group of friends, and skipping school we didn't know what to do. Our daughter was placed in a youth home and several different treatment centers. Nothing seem to help and our family grew farther and farther apart. Finally, someone introduced us to Love & Logic. Yes, at first we thought it was just another program telling us how to feel and how not to raise our voice. We were shocked the first time we actually used the Love&Logic program on our daughter. Now we use it all the time. All parents should have the opportunity to read or view the Love&Logic Program. It saved our family, we wish we would have heard about Love&Logic before our family went into crisis. Now we tell everyone about it, we have our daughters old probation officer researching and learning about Love&Logic. Now our family communicates better,! and we are no longer in crisis. Love&Logic really works.

5.0 out of 5 stars It saved my son's life, 17 Feb. 1999
By A Customer
This book was recommended to me by my son's psychiatrist. At the time he was 15, has ADHD, Bipolar manic depression, OCS and many other things as well. This book opened my eyes to see that I had been doing too much for my son for too many years. I immediately put what I read into action and with in a week I could see a huge difference in both of us. All the advise in this book made so much sense to me. It was hard to let go and make him take the responcibility for himself, but it was the best thing I could have ever done for him. I owe all that to this book. The people I read about in each chapter was like reading about my own family. Dr. Kline and Mr Fay have hit the nail on the head perfectly with this book. My only regret is that I didn't read it sooner!

5.0 out of 5 stars Want to take back control of your home? Read this book!, 12 April 1999
By A Customer
This book gave us so many easy tools for handling our 3 high-spirited boys. The discipline (I don't like to even use that term) techniques given here are easy to remember and encourage the child to take responsibility for their own decisions and actions. Imagine a six year old boy telling you that he is going to get dressed on time for school EVERY day, and doing it! After weeks of dragging my kids into the car every morning, I got relief from the morning battle, and I didn't have to give any lectures, threats or warnings. Imagine! You, too, can achieve this. Read this book. P.S. The tapes are fun to listen to. Marra-Lynn Rodriguez

4.0 out of 5 stars This book has helped me with my three year old., 21 Mar. 1999
By A Customer
Although a lot of the situations and solutions are geared toward older children, I am glad I found this book now. My son is three and already I find myself involved in power struggles with him. This book has given me an effective way to deal with it. The idea of giving kids choices may seem ridiculous, but it really does work. Now I feel I'm on the way to having a better relationship with my child and am preparing him for the future. I recommend the book to anyone with kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best parenting books out there!, 19 Jun. 1999
By A Customer
I use Love & Logic both in my home and in my professional life as a therapist. It is an outstanding book that advocates parents being in charge, but only taking as much control as they need to. Love and Logic has also caught on in my local public school system! The school district offers free Love and Logic Parenting classes (with free dinner and free child care!) This makes Love & Logic Parenting information very accessible to anyone who wants it. Great Deal!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a book that I will refer to again and again, 1 April 1999
By A Customer
Allowing my children to make their own choices and then take the responsibility and consequences for their actions has really simplified my life. I find myself thinking several times a day "What effect does this problem have on me?" when the answer is nothing I can now leave it for my children to solve. Bedtime and homework have become virtually painless for all of us.

5.0 out of 5 stars IF YOUR KIDS ARE UNCONTROLLABLE...., 5 Mar. 1999
By A Customer
Some of the advice sounds cheesy, but when you try it, it works. Imagine having a 2 year old that BEHAVES. Follow the advice with your kids and you will notice a substantial improvement. Recently we entered a store and I told my son that it was a "hands off store." Another shopper scoffed "Yeah, that will work." I felt very smug when I said "It does." He didn't touch a thing in the 2 hours we were there. I never would have expected this from a 2 year old. BUY THE BOOK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent how-to-apply-it book., 29 Jan. 1997
By A Customer
While I did not agree with all of the solutions that were used with the examples, the main thrust of the book is to decide what is your problem and what is your child's problem and let them grow into the responsibility of solving their own problems without you stressing yourself and them out in the meantime. Applying the principles (logic with love) and not the ususal "because I said so" gives the kids a good example to follow for when they are faced with situations and the parent is not around.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Parenting with Love and Logic
Parenting with Love and Logic by Foster, M. D. Cline (Hardcover - 1993)
Used & New from: £74.84