5.0 out of 5 stars A gorgeous hypnotic odyssey
I felt in two minds about watching this film , half expecting it to be dolorous ,sombre, dull art-house exercise requiring resolute cinematic stamina . Not for the first time I was completely wrong .The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford is as gorgeous and hypnotic a film as I have ever seen .
The title does of course give way what is going to...
Published on 16 July 2008 by russell clarke

2.0 out of 5 stars Read the book!
Having read the book by Ron Hansen and absolutely loved it, I was looking forward to the film interpretation. Many have seen the film but not read the book and they seem to like it. However, if you have read the book first, I doubt that this will move you.
Published 18 months ago by P. O'Brien

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 23 July 2012
This review is from: The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
Very disappointed when viewing this film. I wish I had bought the original black and white film. The story was very boring and slow. Not what I expected.

1.0 out of 5 stars A long boring film with no soul, 3 July 2008
A long boring film with no soul.
Brad Pitt is not menacing enough, the mumbling of petty criminals did not engage me in any way.
Very very boring

1.0 out of 5 stars BORING!!!!, 24 Sep 2008
Okay i admit it, i only saw the first hour and that is the first time that i walked out of a cinema before the end of the film, i felt like asking for my money back.

It was the most boring hour of my life, even the train robbery was dull.

I was hoping for a western as engaing as Unforgiven or Dances with wolves, but nothing about this film held my interest, boring characters, a slow story and such a dreary look.

1.0 out of 5 stars How to lose fans and alienate viewers., 3 Aug 2012
So, you've become a big hotshot Hollywood superstar. Million's of people are fans of your work. Million's of fans pay to keep you in a life of luxury. Want to piss them off? here's how to do it in a few short steps:-

Step one: Take an interesting Historical story that could be told in 90 minute's easily

Step two: Stretch 90 minute story to 160 minute's

Step three: Fill approximately 100 minutes with people standing about and long pointless landscape scenes.

Step four: Make interesting historical story the most boring story ever told.

Step five: Send 90% of your viewers to sleep within the first 5 minutes.

Step six: Give Casey Affleck a job

Step seven: Make Casey Affleck one of the stars

Step eight: Give Casey Afleck more screen time than anyone else

Step nine: Make audience wish that Ben Affleck had been cast instead

Step ten: Make everyone think film will end with the assassination

Step eleven: Once assassination has happened, make audience wait at least 30 minutes before the credits roll.

Step twelve: Have very little in the way of loud noises throughout film as it might wake the audience.

So there you go, how to lose fans and alienate viewers. Your probably thinking that I said a few steps and that this review is getting long and boring. Well now you know how I felt waiting for the last half hour to finish. Honestly it just went on and on and on. I only went to see this as i had never seen a western in the cinema before and had a couple of hours to kill. There was maybe 9-10 people at screening and i estimate 7 were snoring at one point or another, i'm not sure about the rest as i was one of the ones snoring, so could have been everyone at some point. I like western's, i really do. I like dances with wolves, open range, wyatt earp, all three are really long, possibly boring to some, but i really like them. When Brad Pitt got shot i really was chuffed, thought it would be over, but no, 30 minutes later i'm just getting out of my seat.

The Christopher Nolan Batman films each had a one word theme through them, Batman Begins was FEAR, The Dark Knight was CHAOS, The Dark Knight Rises was PAIN. I'm guessing this film's theme was BOREDOM, either that or Pain. Avoid Avoid Avoid. Don't read this review and think to yourself "I need to see this film", You do not have to see this film, it will drain you soul and you will lose all faith in Brad Pitt. So once again Avoid Avoid Avoid, Pretentious Boring and again like this review, OVERLONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One last comment, sorry but step 12 was a bit unfair. Sleeping through the entirety of this without so much as twitching should make anyone attempting to watch this very happy indeed. If it wasn't for all the snoring in the cinema I would have got a great sleep.

1.0 out of 5 stars The best film of 2007? Give me a break!, 28 Jan 2008
J. I. Robertson (Ireland) - See all my reviews
I cant believe all these reviews im reading! Are you sure we're reviewing the same film here?

I remember going to watch this at the cinema with my girlfriend some 2 months ago. I have never before witnessed so many people get up and leave the cinema - not even half way through the movie. That is not an exaggeration. The film was tedious, slow and unexciting. It was far too long and drawn out. The best part for me had to be the end bit when the credits came on!

I am in agreement with my girlfriend here (and we see at least 40 new releases a year as we are cineworld members) when i say this has to be the worst film of 2007.

Avoid like the plague!

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT FOR ME, 4 May 2008
Mr. K. Redden (Ireland) - See all my reviews
Theres not many films that I wouldnt watch to the end, but this is one of them. Im sorry but it nearly put me to sleep! Not my cup of tea.

1.0 out of 5 stars Desperately disappointing bore factor 10, 6 April 2008
Desperately disappointing bore factor 10. Even the narrator sounds bored when he wheels off the facts about Jesse James and the capers he gets up to. The dialogue is difficult to catch and the film so long that I am sure I would haven fallen asleep had I been stupid enough to pay money and go and see this at the cinema.

The narrator is so reverential in his hushed tones forgetting that this was a robber and a murderer not a poet. Woeful.

1.0 out of 5 stars Indeed, 12 July 2008
R. Brooks-Davis "Sea Lions Are Mint" (Newcastle Upon Tyne) - See all my reviews
That was possibly the biggest let down in the history of film. I enjoyed Waterworld more!