on 4 August 2008
Easy to install the software and, thereafter, plug in the USB adaptor. However, if you are not familiar with the steps to take after, the set up is not easy.

The instructions provided do not go beyond the software installation and it is implied that once you have installed the software, then everything will just work. No...

You need to go into the ZD software and apply your WPA key. If you don't have the savvy, experience or natural inclination to grope around with unknown software then might find that you are knackered.

In saying that, once you have grasped that you need to go into the ZD software and apply your passphrase (WPA password) then it works very well.

I suspect that you might be able to get it to work from Windows Zero Configuration, if you know what you are doing - but, as a newbie, I don't. So a few more, simple instructions, on the pamphlet would have been handy.

Finally, I have the Safecom adaptor working with Netgear 834 router and it is working very well.
on 14 June 2008
Finding an Airport card for my Powermac G5 Dual Core (late 2005) machine is near impossible. Apple store and online were terrible at trying to locate a suitable Airport card, to further add to the misery Apple do not make Airport cards for Powermac's anymore. I was left with a third party solution, proving even better than expected.

After a quick browse I found this safecom wi-fi USB, and with some scepticism I purchased it. Many 3rd party products claim to support Apple OS but in reality have huge compatibility issues. This is not the case for this particular Wireless device, in fact far from it. On the disc provided was a driver for Mac OSX 10.3 and 10.4 and so installation was relatively quick. The Safecom website has a detailed installation guide for Mac users, however I found I believe most Mac users will not struggle with installation. Within minuets, the Safecom had detected Wireless Hub's and within minuets i was connected to the internet.

I would highly reccomend this USB device to any MAC user especially, as I have had no trouble with installation, and the quality and performance of the whole device/software is fantastic. The price is astonishing for what this product can do, considering the price of Apple produced wireless "Airport" products in comparison. With no complicated installation, straight forward configurable software, this is hands down the best Wireless Wi-Fi USB product available at the moment, from a MAC perspective. I hope this review was useful!
66 comments|68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 July 2008
A fantastic, easy to use, quick to install wireless adapter.

Buy one if this is the kind of thing you are looking for, connection speed to my wireless modem is excellent whilst remaining stable.

Plus it works on Mac's as well.
on 21 January 2009
Bought this for a second-hand Intel Apple Mac computer that came without a working Airport card. Received on the 2nd day after placing order by recorded post - can't fault speed of delivery or communication.

Upon opening the packaging was pleasantly surprised to discover that this dongle (SparkLAN - not sure why referred to as 'Safecom' by previous reviews) has a two year warranty. When installing onto a Mac, I would recommend that users read through the manual on the supplied CD before they do anything else... should be hassle free if manual instructions followed. Drivers for 10.3, 10.4 and 10.5 all included on the CD. Following the instructions I installed the software/drivers no problem, rebooted the Mac as requested. Upon reboot an Apple alert box came up telling me the USB wireless device was unrecognised/needed configuring. I left this alert box open while I used the software that came with the dongle to configure it for my network, then (doesn't mention in the manual you need to do this bit) I went back to the alert box and told the computer to acquire a DHCP address automatically from my router... hey presto, everything recognised and surfing away.

So far the connection seems very stable with good signal strength and transmission at the max speed of 54MB/ps. One star knocked off because I don't like having to open the dongle software, manually connect to my network and have the software running minimised in the background whenever I want to go online - would be even better if it opened automatically when browser opened and used saved settings.
on 15 August 2008
I am new to linux (Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04) and have taken a while to get online with it. I had an existing Netgear WG111v2 wireless USB point, which I could not get to work using ndiswrapper. Eventually, I saw a review for this and took a chance on it as it was described as plug and play with linux. When I received it, I put it in my USB port and nothing happened. When I read the instructions, my heart sank. They are truly appaling, written in very poor English, and to a newbie like me, undecipherable. I was about to give up, but decided to give it one last go. I put the Safecom in the USB port and rebooted. Then I went to the Network utility and fiddled about. I GOT IT TO WORK, and without too much hassle!!. It is plug and play, but not perhaps in the sense we expect if we are used to windows. The drivers for this chipset are preloaded into ubuntu 8.04, and I believe 7.10 (not sure about earlier versions), so no need to bother with the CD at all. You need to untick the roaming box. Find where the stick is located (in my case eth0, just try the options), and tell it your network details (Set it to configure automatically, not manually). Tell it whether your ISP gives you a static or automatically assigned IP address, provide the router security password and you should be off! In the 20 hours since I got it to work, it has had good range, and speed and has not dropped the connection. It is certainly the only solution I've managed to find for linux, though if you are used to windows, you may find the unfamiliar linux interface requires a little patience and willingness to play around with settings.

I could only get it to work with WEP and not WPA or WPA2. This is due to linux and not safecom.There doesn't appear to be any option in the security drop down box except WEP in the linux interface, but this is a small price to pay for finally going wireless with linux. I hope this helps!!!

I would have given it 5 stars if the instructions had been of any use at all.
on 28 March 2008
Very easy to setup and configure, many features.
Does exactly what it says.
Even came with an extension cable.
When I need to buy another adpater I will buy this one.
on 26 June 2008
took seconds to installon a vista desktop pc, up and running in 3 mins
great bit of kit and it does what it says on the tin :}
on 22 March 2009
Okay, so, I'm a gamer. Not a religious one, but I mainly like to explore and play MMORPGs. Yes, sad, whatevs.

Not that 54mbps is a particularly good rate to play MMORPGs efficiently, I can't even get this adapter to run faster than 10 mbps on average. It's very slow, and prone to dropping the signal. It ALWAYS drops the signal when MSN loads up, for sure.

So, it's okay, but very slow. If you're a gamer, and want to play online, DO NOT choose this product.
on 6 May 2011
I bought this when my mum got an old iMac G5. It was running Mac OSX Panther 10.3.9 at the time, and this said it was compatible.
Installation was easy enough, but the connection to our WiFi would keep dropping. For various reasons we updated the iMac to OSX Leopard, and the disc that came with this dongle included drivers for that too. I installed the drivers and connected to our WiFi and it has been a pretty much flawless connection since then. The iMac and the router weren't moved so it wasn't a distance or signal issue.

I'm not sure if it's the old drivers for this or if it's the way in which they configure the old OS, but this dongle works a lot better in Leopard.
on 17 October 2008
Brilliant!! Like the man said it really does do what it says on the tin. It has given a new lease of life to my 10 year old laptop which runs on Microsoft Windows Me. Just follow the instructions on the CD and away you go!!

See one answered question