5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely coffee made easy!
Published on 17 Feb. 2011 by SallyAnn

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing
My wife bought me one of these for Xmas to replace a stove top espresso maker and whisk type milk frother.

Published on 1 Mar. 2009 by Dr. M. Ronchetti

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely coffee made easy!, 17 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Gaggia Espresso Pure 74840 Coffee Maker - Black (Kitchen & Home)
I bought this coffee maker for my husband's birthday a couple of weeks ago. I loved the look of it but was a bit wary having read some of the previous reviews. However I have used it almost every day and would say that it gets easier every time. I now only ever use the double size filter as that holds enough for 2 or a pod (bought Kenya ones from Lidl - cheap and very nice!).

The easy way, I find, to use it is: Fill up the tank with fresh water and leave it for the 6 minutes it takes for the water to heat ( that's only a bit longer than a kettle takes to boil!) Then "prime" the pump by discharging about half a cup of water into a mug by
pressing the "brew" button with the empty filter holder in place ( then throw that water way!). You can then either fill the filter holder with a pod or loose coffee ( pods do make cleaning easier) and set either 1 or 2 cups under the spout and press the button. In a very few seconds you have a lovely espresso. Remember espresso is a small cup not a mug - use a filter machine if it's volume you're after! I prefer lattes so I make my espresso straight into a normal size mug - great that this machine can fit 2 mugs under the spout - I then discharge any water from the steam nozzle into the drip tray by opening the steam knob and closing it once the water is all gone. Turn on the steam switch for a minute as this ensures the milk gets nice and hot. Then I froth the milk by releasing the steam knob - make sure you turn the jug about to distribute the heat through the milk. Pour the hot frothy milk on top and it's done!

Cleaning the frothier is simply a matter of pulling off the plastic cover and rinsing, then wipe down the inner nozzle and discharge a little steam to clean the inside in case any milk has got in to it. The drip tray lifts off and you can rinse it under the tap and if
you've used pods the the filter holder just needs a rinse too.

I really think this is not that much work and the end product is great!

I noticed the comments about water dripping throughout the filter when you use the steamer but I can't see why that matters - you should take your coffee cup off the drip tray once it's made and that coffee shouldn't be used again anyway!

5.0 out of 5 stars A delight for Coffee Lovers........, 28 Oct. 2010
Bob and Billy's Mum (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a brilliant machine for the real coffee lover - stunning good looks (mine is shiny red) combined with superb coffee making. It really is a machine for making the best coffee you can at home. I am delighted with it in every way, and look forward to my weekend treat now coming from my kitchen rather than being bought when out shopping. That said though, I have some recommendations to make.

* Do give yourself plenty of time (and repeat attempts) to work through the machine and all its features before trying to make your perfect cup of coffee. It takes a little while to perfect the method and is worthwhile taking the time to do it properly.
* Have a cheapy bag of espresso to try out first, as there may be failures in your first few goes (there was here and I didn't mind throwing out a few cups as it was supermarket espresso).
* When confident and proficient, do make sure you use the finest espresso you can. Preferably grind your own beans to the finest setting (Australian beans are divine) with a burr grinder such as Dualit Burr Coffee Grinder 75002.
* Think about the type and size of cups to use (mine were a touch too big so the espresso was a little dilute to start with until I swapped them for smaller ones).
* Have a j-cloth or similar ready for wiping, especially for the milk frother.

This coffee machine really does perform well, and is ideal for weekend indulgence of good, proper espresso. (I wouldn't recommend for weekday everyday use simply because I wouldn't have the time to perform the whole pleasing ritual of warming and brewing and the very important cleaning). The machine also has a pressurised frother which pleasingly makes delicious creamy frothy milk, perfect for capucinno, hot choccies or just warm milk (or water). Given enough time for 'playing' you will be a domestic barista par excellence!

Top marks for style, substance and performance from me. I'd highly recommend this to any good coffee lover. Superb.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best machines for the price, 16 Jan. 2013
Mr. I. A. R. Pollard "ipollard77" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
There's a number of one star reviews for this machine, most of which are completely undeserved; aside from some genuine mechanical failures, they all seem to come down to either misuse or misunderstanding. Making espresso is absolutely not something everyone can do; it does require effort and a willingness to learn. You will make mistakes, there might even be a few undrinkable cups, but it's worth your time if you want a great cup of coffee.

First, all espresso machines -- even ones five times the price of this Gaggia -- leak some water into their drip tray. That's what it's there for. Some leak more than others, but it's not a fault.

Second, making espresso is the harshest possible way you can make coffee; the heat and pressure of the water is extreme. What this means is that badly ground beans and poor tamping will result in basically any of the problems people have described: no crema, fast flow/weak coffee, or no coffee being dispensed with leaks over the basket's lips. Been there, done all of them. The problem is you, not the machine.

I've had my Gaggia for 7 months and I feel it has taken me this long to make consistently great espresso. I've found that if you must used pre-ground coffee, Illy gives the most consistent results. It needs to be tamped pretty hard to achieve a good rich crema.

If you're buying and grinding your own beans, make sure you use a burr grinder (the cheap ones "chop", not grind) and go for nearly the finest grind you can achieve. If it's too fine -- e.g. longer than 25 seconds to dispense an espresso shot -- go one setting coarser or tamp a little lighter. Repeat until you get it right.

If you like cappuccino or latte, the Gaggia is a great machine -- it can froth and steam milk in no time at all. Americanos are easy too, the frothing wand can dispense hot water as well as steam. If you're making coffee for two, you can use the double shot basket and make two at once.

I've only given this 4 stars not 5 as my machine developed a fault after 6 months with the seal around the shower head coming away. Philips, who own Gaggia, were outstanding. Following one phone call, a courier was scheduled and arrived with a box to package it up. The machine was away for two days for repair and came back better than ever. I received emails and text messages updating me each step of the way. There was no charge and no fuss.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gaggia Black Espresso Pure, 7 May 2011
I bought this coffee maker as a gift for my partner who is pretty addicted to coffee. I had previously bought the Gaggia Classic for my parents a couple of years ago and we have been happy with the results.

I decided to go with the Pure this time round due to: a. The fact you can fit a normal cup under the filter and delivery spout - my partner likes longer coffees.
b. it was cheaper than the classic

On the negative side, the Pure is quite lightweight. This makes it a bit annoying when you are trying to screw in or out the filter as the whole machine moves. It was also a little bit tricky to set up.

On the positive side, the Pure looks very simple and doesn't take up loads of space.

The water tank is well positioned at the back and top meaning it can be easily removed and refilled. (With the Classic, it has to be pulled out from behind the filter and basin which is a bit annoying)

And most importantly, it makes really good coffee and always gives a good crema on the top. We got good results basically from the first time, and although we had both already used espresso machines, I think the instructions would allow first-timers to learn pretty quickly.

Overall, a bit light, but for the money, it produces really good coffee that's probably better than you'd get in the majority of British cafes - and you can choose exactly how you want it.

TIPS: I'd recommend taking time (and a bit of extra cash) to get the right coffee. Remember and turn it on a good while before you want to pour a coffee to allow it to heat the water properly. And lastly, I've found that dispensing the espresso over a cup with some kettle boiled water, in order to make a longer coffee, retains that brilliant crema.

Have fun!

4.0 out of 5 stars Tricky to start with but results can be worth it!, 25 Nov. 2010
Jason Gaston "Uncle Jay" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was delighted to open the box to see the Ferarri Red body of my new kitchen applience gleaming out of the box (was expecting a black one and luckily enough my kitchen has a red theme) so with shuddering anticipation I put my arms out as if to pick up a toddler and removed it from the box. My smile did fall a little short when i realised that the very nice shiny finnish was predominantly plastic but that being said it is easy on the eye I was just a tad disapointed at the build quality.

So.... Easy on the eye - Tick
Instructions...............ok this is when it got a bit tricky! Put it this way if you think your gonna open the box and have a lovely cup of coffee in the next 10 minutes your sadly mistaken. The instructions are harder to follow than an episode of LOST. Making Coffee with this machine is all about trial and error. I wasted quite a lot of coffee till I got the balance right, THAT BEING SAID, once I DID get it right the coffee i was churning out was of a very high quality (dependent on what coffee you decide to use)

All in all i am no happy with this maching and I would reconmend it to anyone however if I had written this review an hour or so after openning the box it would have been a lot different. You have been warned! Will test your patience but the results can be spot on. You'll NEED that cup of coffee ha ha!

4.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, but complicated for a coffee neophyte!, 15 Nov. 2010
H. Playford "mambohels" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First things first - I have the red version of this machine and it is very, very pretty. It looks really stylish on the kitchen counter and doesn't take up much space. Its footprint is about the same as my small slow-cooker.

Several reviewers have mentioned a flimsy feel to this machine - I can't say I've noticed this. The components are all nicely weighty and everything fits together smoothly.

And now on to my favourite test - the obviousness test. Can I get a good idea of how to work the machine without the instructions? The short answer is no, although I have never used such a machine before so a coffee pro might have found it easier. Once I figured out the instructions, the coffee produced was really good. I thoroughly enjoyed the milk frother which worked brilliantly and produced an excellent cappuccino topping.

The coffee also went down very well with the various guests I've made it for! It's so nice to be able to offer them a proper coffee!

Bottom line is, it's stylish and (once you've worked out the instructions) easy to use. Perhaps it's not the choice for a daily coffee drinker as it has apparently got problems that develop after long-time usage (see other reviews). I haven't observed these faults yet myself but will update if I do.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, 1 Mar. 2009

Initial impression was that it looked very cheaply made considering it is one of the more expensive models at the 'budget' end of the market. The top plate which is made of cheap plastic didnt fit from day one and the rest of the machine apart from the filter holder is cheap and plasticky with a very light weight feel.

The first few cups of espresso were very good with a good Crema and the steam frother although also made of cheap looking plastic worked well.

Unfortunately within a couple of weeks of being used 1-2 times most days the machine started leaking with a constant drip even when when the pump was turned off which overflowed the drip tray or diluted the coffee in the cup.

When the steam nozzle is turned on then high pressure steam is also forced through the coffee filter and this remains under pressure for several minuted after it is turned off releasing a puff of scalding high pressure steam if the filter holder is removed.

I think you are paying a premium for the Gaggia name - although it wont continue to command a premium if they keep producing machines as poor as this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great coffee, great style, 22 Nov. 2010
George Rodger - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I couldn't wait to get the Gaggia out of the box, and it didn't disappoint - I got the Red version, and it looks superb on a kitchen counter.
Not had it very long, and so far haven't experienced any of the major problems that some other reviewers have come up against. The build quality seems good, and let's face it, it's a domestic machine, not a commercial product.
It did take a while to really get to grips with the coffee-making process - much ground coffee wasted, much wiping up! - and how to make the best cup of coffee to your individual taste. But the end result is definitely worth the initial effort. I haven't used coffee pods, so can't comment on that process.
I'd certainly recommend this item for any coffee-lover.

2.0 out of 5 stars components missing and leaks in time., 18 Feb. 2013
I have had this machine for just over 3 weeks the machine in itself is exactly what I expected albeit a little lightweighted.
However the box did not contain all the components it should have as per the description given prior to purchase.
The description states: `Choose the appropriate filter basket for brewing a single shot, a double shot or pods, and add your coffee'.
When I opened the box and unpacked the contents amongst everything else there is of course the instruction booklet.
On the 1st page it shows the machine components. Item 10 being the single shot basket, item 11 being the double shot basket and item 13 being the OPTIONAL "perfect cream" filter.
Items 10 and 11 were missing.
Also with the instruction booklet was a leaflet explaining what Gaggia/Philips had decided to do with regard to not supplying items 10 & 11. Poor decision!
This information was not available prior to purchase, had it been I would not have bought this product. Description of goods inaccurate.
Beware the "perfect cream" filter does not produce the same crema as the traditional basket.
I have to say that the seller (NETELECTRIX) is trying to make amends with the manufacturer to provide the two missing baskets, to date disappointingly I have not yet received them.
The problem is with manufacturer not the seller.Gaggia Espresso Pure 74840 Coffee Maker, Black

UPDATED: Star rating reduced to 2
September 2013:
I bought the Gaggia back in January 2013 and in April it had to be replaced due to it leaking. Now here we are in September and I have had to contact the supplier again due to the replacement machine also leaking.
The supplier is looking into possibly getting a service engineer out to look at it but looking at other reviews on different sites it appears that there is a problem with the manufacture of this machine.
I will update on the outcome.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent coffee, plastic body, 8 Nov. 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First - it makes *delicious* coffee - the Capuccinos are light and frothy, the Espressos dark and dominated by a wonderful crema that sits, porter-like, dreamily upon the hot dark depths that lie beneath. And the difference between beans becomes so much more noticeable. The sharp focus of taste with coffee made this way make cafetieres and filter machines seem like fuzzy approximations in comparison.

But you have to remember how strong the Gaggia name is when you get one of these - they're actually part of the Philips network of companies now, and it helps to understand the somewhat more plasticky nature of this machine than I was expecting - the metallic cover makes it look like a nice piece of polished steel, but it's actually plastic. As is the cup tray. And the reservoir lid. And the top plate. However there are positive sides to this 'brand awareness' coin - it's lighter to move around, and it's better for the environment as well as being cheaper for yourself too.

So I try to relate to it as a Philips machine as I seem to expect less from it that way, somehow. It keeps the 'if only it had...' thoughts at bay. It's a really pretty machine (I got the red one), and it would just be so perfect if it was made from metal.

The design is very fetching and it certainly looks special. However, there are little quirks like having the water gauge on the left rear corner of the machine (thus making it difficult to use in one corner of the kitchen, because it becomes impossible to see how much water you have left), which make me wonder just how thought-out the machine actually is.

I thoroughly recommend using a BRITA Marella Cool White Water Filter Jug if you live in a hard water area - it'll improve the taste as well as avoiding limescale build-up, and prolong the life expectancy of the machine by a large percentage.

You need to be prepared to establish a strict routine of washing and wiping this machine, but it's worth doing - if you want really good coffee, you've got to expect a little bit of work. It's worth the effort though! If anyone's interested, I'll list it in the comments section!

The price seems high, but with regular use this machine is worth the price. In terms of your relationship with coffee, this machine is an aphrodisiac. Be prepared for regular trips to local coffee merchants, a whole range of new drinking utensils - the whole works.

Believe it or not, I think this expensive machine is actually one of the entry-level models if you want a good quality pump espresso maker. It's well worth making the step up to this level.

It's one of those ideal luxury items that becomes indispensible as soon as it comes into use. If you're a coffee lover, or know smeone who is, this will open their eyes about just how good coffee can taste. Forget Nero and Sbucks, you can make it yourself, and it tastes so much nicer too.

I reluctantly have to take a star off for build quality - while this makes the machine easier to move about and more economical, it also makes it feel lighter and... cheaper!

Edit 08/01/11: Water has started escaping through the main filtercup feed when using the steamer; while the machine still makes the same excellent coffee, I can't help but suspect that it signifies a future breakdown of function. At the very least, it hardly inspires confidence in its mechanical reliability.

Edit 11/02/11: The leak is getting much worse. I've googled the problem, and it seems to be due to an inherent design fault! I'd suggest that anyone thinking of buying this machine should look at a different model.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›