Format: DVD|Change

on 11 August 2014
Simply put - this is a by-the-numbers English ghost story (in the vein of Wilkie Collins or any of the other of M R James' work) that has some good performances but is painfully predictable.

A sceptical ghost hunter is called to investigate a haunting; will he disprove the ghost? Who could possibly predict what happens next! Okay, so the source material was written at a time when this kind of plot wasn't so hackneyed but still...

My other main gripe is that the 'special' effects towards the end were incredibly ropey. In 1995 CGI wasn't mainstream but there's no excuse for speeded up footage and poor use of dummies. That said, a conflagration earlier in the film was done incredibly well.

All in all, I'd rather recommend the original 'Woman in Black' or 'The Innocents'.
on 15 January 2004
I saw this film when it was on TV absolutely aaaages ago and it is the best film i have ever seen. so spooky! i really love how it begins and the twist in it... it's such an amazing story and the acting is great. I really recommend it!!!
on 9 June 2015
This film is my all time favourite. It is a horror film, yet is full of beauty. It has a mix of the onimous with a dreamy fantasy. It is very clever by its use of supression (witholding a part of narrative until later) with the sudden revelation at the cemetary, which makes the viewer look back differently, such as why the old maid is talking to herself and why she is afraid of the Doctor. It also makes the viewer ask questions, such as why could the fortune teller see the beautiful girl? It also has a beautiful tint of sadness, that the protagonist could not fulfil his dream with his dream partner. This film is bewitching, which gives it so much appeal.
on 7 July 2012
I must admit that when this item arrived I hadn't a clue about the function to change to English. The seller had very thoughtfully enclosed the instructions along with a lovely little ribbon and a post card, how caring! But as some silly people like me sometimes do, I placed it to one side. I didn't even notice the title being in foreign! I couldn't wait to play it....Well, you can imagine what comes next!
After contacting the seller, he immediately put my mind at ease after I had assumed I had been sent the wrong item. It was so simple to change to English.
When i played it,....it was far more superior to the version I once had! The audio quality is superb. For instance, at the beginning of the film, you hear the ghost of his sister calling him. On this DVD it is the first time I have heard that so clear.

I wholeheartedly recommend this seller and his goods! Well done, first class.
on 11 May 2005
one of my favourite films, a great cast with a early kate beckinsale, and Aidan Quinn falling in love with a ghost. An absolute must waiting for the dvd but have to make do with video... good story just an all round good film....
on 18 May 2011
This was a good attempt at adapting a James Herbert story to film.

The book was much better, but they only messed with it slightly, so it could have been much worse.

As it is set in England and based on a British author's book, I do not know why it is not available on region 2.

It would be good if someone made Ghosts of Sleath into a film, although they would probably mess that one up.
on 28 May 2014
a phsycologist who catches out fraud phsycics etc,finds himself at oaken bury hall where a grandmother ,her two grandsons and grand daughter live ,he is saddened by the accidental death of his sister as a child,there is haunting but what is his sister trying to tell him as he falls for the womens grand-daughter,but is the girl the real ghosts...................
on 16 November 2012
remember this on telly when i was a teenager,not always good to go back. it was great then but special effects are pathetic compared to todays standards. the dvd itself froze several times and i had to start again,bit of a pain.other hand glad i got it and watched it again.up to you if you want to see it again then buy it.
on 3 June 2010
I had this copied from the television on a VHS tape and really enjoyed watching it. I have since given all my VHS to charity, except for the home copied. Whenever possible I purchase a DVD. Luckily I can now get a region 2 version. I look forward to it in anticipation. There are a couple of films similair but the Herbert one was best.
on 26 October 2015
Ghost stories have been adapted to celluloid MUCH more atmospherically and scary than this lame effort! If you want superior look-behind-you scares, check out the original tv version of The Woman In Black, The Innocents, The Haunting[60's original], and The Legend Of Hell House-trust me-these are REALLY creepy...!