5.0 out of 5 stars Own this and you'll do fine on the as3 landscape
As a freelance flash developer I picked up all the AS3 books as soon as they started to appear on the market. I have the cookbook, the essentials and the actionscript bible on my table.

Published on 7 Mar 2008 by Tanel Teemusk

3.0 out of 5 stars Best book of its kind
Hi all,

Published on 23 Mar 2008 by Matthew Bury

5.0 out of 5 stars Own this and you'll do fine on the as3 landscape, 7 Mar 2008
This review is from: ActionScript 3.0 Bible (Paperback)

With the first I had a hard time getting along with, as this is meant mainly for Flex developers. The second I like, because it's rather easy reading. But the third is actually the book that is getting most of my attention.

When you work as a developer, you don't really want to read too much. You want to get as much information as possible in as few pages as possible, so you can head into developing again.

While working, ActionScript 3.0 Bible is the best book I have found yet.

It has great index, very easy to read comments and usable code examples.

So if you're not a beginner and thinking about moving from AS2 to AS3, get this book first.

3.0 out of 5 stars Best book of its kind, 23 Mar 2008
Matthew Bury "matbury.com" (Barcelona) - See all my reviews
Hi all,

I'm an Actionscript developer and I found the Actionscript 2.0 Bible to be fantastic. It's basically a 'How to...' reference book that lists its entries by function rather than code or class type references. If it's a comprehensive code based reference you're after, there isn't anything better than Adobe's on-line AS 2.0 and AS 3.0 references, which you should have bookmarked in your favourite browser anyway. This book's ideal for getting started in coding if you're a novice. There aren't many books of this kind on the market and this was, by far, the best one.

Ok, and now onto the new version of this book...

For your money, you get pretty much the same thing for AS 3.0 as you did for AS 2.0. It also does a very good job of explaining some of the fundamental differences between the two languages, such as the new events architecture and the display list, both of which are indispensable when coding in AS 3.0.

However, I got the strong feeling that this book was rushed to the press. There are a large number of code errors such as on page 505 where it has,

"var connection:NetConnection = new NetConnection(null);"

This will throw an error in Flash and your movie won't work. The correct code should be:

"var connection:NetConnection = new NetConnection();
connection.connect(null);"

This is just one of many examples throughout the book that a novice developer would find infuriating. Something that is even more infuriating is that there are a number of omissions from the book. In one case, two entire pages of code and the class file were missing from the book and the accompanying download which left an entire project useless and a waste of time.

This book does give some very useful information in a very easy to use and understandable way and it'll help you to get to grips with AS 3.0 in a very short time. But be warned. It's not properly proof-read and the editing is very sloppy. Since the life-cycle of versions of programming languages is so short, it's unlikely to be corrected so be prepared for code that doesn't work and that you'll have to check against the Adobe AS 3.0 reference, and projects that you might spend a lot of time typing in only to find out that it's impossible to make them work!

It's still the best book of its kind, but I couldn't possibly give this book more than 3 stars. You may find books from Friends of Ed more accurate and helpful but they don't really do anything like this one.

Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 Jun 2013
U. Sule "RV" - See all my reviews
This review is from: ActionScript 3.0 Bible (Paperback)
Huge book, heavy read but many MANY examples and explanations for anything you will need to code.
Anyone looking to do anything in ActionScript will benefit greatly from having this book.

You don't need to read it cover to cover either, just choose what you need to know and go.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very handy book!, 23 Feb 2010
B. Staddon (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ActionScript 3.0 Bible (Paperback)
As mentioned previously, this book does contain the odd code error but it's still a very useful book, especially as it covers such a vast breadth of possible AS3 use. I read the code examples more as guidance snippets than full tutorials. I think it's therefore of more use to readers already comfortable with AS3 and OOP basics (and who are happy to take an idea and experiment with it, rather than follow a set learning path).

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book but doesn't cover everything.., 22 May 2009
D. Thomas (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ActionScript 3.0 Bible (Paperback)
I have a pretty good grounding in programming and Actionscript 2.0 and wanted to see what I was missing in AS3.

I read this book practically from cover to cover and found it explained things very well, a beginner programmer would probably not struggle to understand this new OOP language if they were to read this book.

I'm constantly referring back to the book whilst programming, and it teaches you in such a way that you understand the language better rather than just copying examples.

That said, I do think that the book would benefit from some more specific examples of how to use the language in a real-world situation (i.e. How to produce a useable Flash application rather than how to model a toaster). Although it should be noted that the book is only intended to teach you the language.

I would totally recommend this book for anyone wanting to learn AS3 as it is invaluable, and I am grateful that it is the first one I've bought.

However, I also think it's necessary to buy another book with more specific examples of using AS3 in way that would suit you (i.e. Games Programming etc.)

2.0 out of 5 stars A designer's view, 30 Nov 2009
This review is from: ActionScript 3.0 Bible (Paperback)
Be careful if you're a traditional AS2 guy and you use this book to transition across to AS3. Like a previous reviewer, I had the AS2 equivalent of this book which is (in a nutshell) a work of genius. That experience meant I had no hesitation in purchasing this one.

I am afraid that I am seriously disappointed.

I am sure that my disappointment stems mainly from my own lack of true OOP experience but this book SHOULD help you make that transition from the procedural model of AS2 to "utopian" class-based, reusable nirvana.

Simply put, it doesn't. It tries very hard to convey the nature and concept of classes (which it does at length and reasonably well) but singularly fails to put them to any practical use. So, you sit down to embark upon your first AS3 app and you simply DO NOT KNOW WHERE TO START!

The only bits that were fully comprehensible to me were the elements that have remained similar or unchanged from AS2 - and that's probably because I already knew that stuff!

In my opinion, books like this are the reason why AS3 encounters so many dissenting voices and why people still believe it over complicated and difficult to learn.

ActionScript 3.0 Bible