5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly simple product. Now have four of these
Am the type of person to research to the end of things. This however was an early recommendation I received from a coffee forum. It vacuum seals the beans preserving the aroma and stopping the beans going stale. Would highly recommend this simple and easy to use product.
Published on 30 Nov 2009 by Fraser

1.0 out of 5 stars Vacuvin Tea & Coffee Saver unreliable.
I have been using this now for four months and it has kept my coffee super fresh in first days. And I was very happy with my purchase.

However, after 2-3 weeks of using I noticed that from time to time I found seal wasn't holding a vacuum.
Now after 4 months of using, my Vacuvin Tea & Coffee Saver doesn't hold seal.
After just few hours when I leave...
Published 20 months ago by DMax

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly simple product. Now have four of these, 30 Nov 2009
This review is from: Vacu Vin Coffee and Tea Storage Container with Vacuum Pump - Medium, 1.30 Litre, Black (Kitchen & Home)
Update: As I like to vary the coffee I am drinking I have now purchased 4 of these. It's a slight hassle to pump the air.. but then again if you have a good espresso machine you accept hassle in return for a great coffee!! Highly recommend

4.0 out of 5 stars Really does seem to save coffee, 25 July 2009
I suppose the best way to make coffee is to grind the beans and make the coffee immediately. That isn't really practical for me. I'd be grinding about an hour before anyone else in the house gets out of bed.

So I need a way to keep the grounds fresh for a few days. I purchased this a couple of months ago and it seems to work very well. Pumping the air out
really does seem to preserve coffee for that extra few days, I've used grounds up to a week after grinding and been satisfied that while not at its best it certainly wasn't stale.

Roasted beans kept in one of these seem to keep for ages.

I grind enough coffee to do me three or four days about 250 grams, so I rarely seem to have this more than half full. While this may not be ideal I often fill the filter basket from my moka-pot over the wide opening and there is almost no mess.

Negatives: It's made of plastic - pumping the air out is a bit tedious.

Positives - works, mess free and inexpensive compared to a lot of coffee gadgets, realistic coffee storage solution in a domestic environment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Vacuvin Tea & Coffee Saver unreliable., 3 Aug 2012
DMax (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews

Now after 4 months of using, my Vacuvin Tea & Coffee Saver doesn't hold seal.
After just few hours when I leave container sealed it simply didn't hold the vacuum. And I find this product useless.

I will not recommend it to anyone as it is unreliable.
I would return it if I hadn't used it for a few months.

Anyway I'm disappointed and I'm switching back to my old coffee tin.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, 2 Mar 2010
I purchased this both on the back of reviews on Amazon and the fact that I have and use the Wine Saver. The Saver seems to work very well in retaining freshness over a period although it too big for my uses. Holding 1.3L of freshly ground coffee is more than 2 whole packs (if you buy from a supermarket).

The pump is larger and better than the wine saver pump I have (although you could use either pump on either saver) as it draws more air from with each pump.

Ideally, it would have been the size enough for just one packet of fresh coffee as, realistically, i'm not going to use it to the full amount and it can become cumbersome to keep having to vacuum the container given the space. However, as originally stated, it does the job and does the job well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for vacuum marinating and fits in the dishwasher, 11 July 2010
OK - I don't use this for coffee - it's too large for the smaller packets of ground we get from the supermarket (250g) and we get through them quickly enough anyway.
I also have the vacuvin vacuum marinator (marinater?) but it is an awkward shape to fit into the dishwasher and is rather large.
Enter this item, sold as a coffee saver. I find it brilliant for rapid marination of, say, enough chicken for several kebab skewers. I tend to put everything into a small, sealable sandwich bag as it keeps the marinade in contact with the meat and eliminates the mess. The deep shape is excellent for this. Then into the vacuum jar, pump the air out and get on with the other ingredients - 5 minutes is enough to make a massive difference. Incidentally I use the same technique with the large dish but it is wide and shallow so doesn't support the bag so well. Obviously you could do it without the bag but then you have to wash the whole thing up.
I was sceptical at first but vacuum marination is fantastic for those impromtu meals and this is worth the cupboard space, get this rather than the big dish version. Five stars based on this use rather than for coffee.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and functional - Great, 5 Jan 2009
D. Quintiere "Davi Q" (Aberdeen, UK) - See all my reviews
Does exactly what you expect. Perfect.

Just keep in mind it's 1.3 litre, so you need a good quantity of coffee to fill it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea - pity about the instructions, 3 Feb 2013
Instructions for use were a touch minimalistic; just a few very small, poor quality sketches with nothing in writing, as a result of which it took me a while to realise the top isn't quite symmetrical and only fits properly one way. Get it wrong, and while it may seem to fit, no amount of pumping will give a vacuum, but get it right and it works well, with a quite powerful suction pump giving a good vacuum in 3 quick strokes. Releasing the vacuum too, to open the lid, can be tricky, with a small, very fiddly button. Sometimes it works fine - I press it, hear a hiss and can remove the lid easily. Other times I seem to struggle for ages, with the lid remaining firmly sealed, until suddenly, for no apparent reason, it suddenly opens. Maybe it's the way you hold your mouth! I've not figured this yet, and the instructions give little clue, but this aside it works well and beyond doubt the coffee has, as a result kept its flavour well so far. With clear instructions, and a simple to use pressure release valve, I would have rated it as 5 star, but without, I can't go above 3.
Would I recommend it to a friend? Yes definitely, in hope they'd solve the problem of the pressure release valve!

5.0 out of 5 stars Crisp crackers, 21 Dec 2011
BMW (Basingstoke) - See all my reviews
At last we can stop our crackers and biscuits for cheese from going soggy. With this container we can keep them crisp and fresh. All we have to worry about now is keeping the cheese from going a bit mouldy round the edges. Perhaps the greater availability of fresh biscuits and crackers means we will eat more cheese and leave less to go off.

5.0 out of 5 stars New home for my coffee beans, 19 Oct 2011
Have been using this product for a few months now.
Overall I'm very pleased with it.
I store a couple of days worth of roasted coffee beans in the jar and it does a good job of keeping them fresher.

The main enemies of coffee beans are air, light and moisture.
The smoky plastic (looks a little darker in real life) seems to do the trick on the light front, although I keep the beans away from direct sunlight anyway.

The best past is the satisfying hiss when the 'vacuum' is released.

It's obviously a little more effort than just using a normal coffee can/jar, but the novelty makes up for it.

One minor niggle would be that the lid is designed so that it can only go on one way, as the top of the jar isn't square. This may be to help with the airtight seal, but if not, I don't see the point.

It's a relatively inexpensive way of helping your (very expensive) coffee beans last a little longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vacu Vin coffee vacuum storage, 6 Oct 2011
I checked Amazon.com for product reviews as I know this product is more widely used by our cousins across the pond. It was rated well and this gave me confidence in purchasing it. As ever, I can rest assured that if it is not up to the job, Amazon are there to help.

I have recently gotten more into making the perfect cup of hand ground coffee in the mornings. Along side all the various kit I have collected, needles to say, the beans I buy are quite pricey and I found they were going stale quickly.

I looked into various products/solutions and saw this recommended on a few coffee forums. It arrived well packaged (thanks Amazon, as usual) and is very well constructed. The product feels like it is made from quality components and the valve incorporated does not leak air out once the vacuum has been attained.

It manages to maintain a good seal and has kept my beans in an air-free environment with minimal fuss. Highly recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›