4.0 out of 5 stars Very good basic product
Bought these as replacements for the non folding pedals that shipped with the Dahon Jack. These are good but basic folding pedals with a good raised grip area on the plastic part of the pedal. The fold mechanism is manual, but as I'm doing city rides there is not much dirt that gets on the pedals if you need to fold them. Not suitable for off road bikes.
Published on 6 April 2009 by S. Moncur

3.0 out of 5 stars Somehow crude but fairly good
These pedals are noticeably heavier than the standard Dahon ones (made by Suntour). Also, as it was already mentioned here, the folding mechanism is more messy - you have to squeeze them from both sides with more chances of getting your hands dirty.

Published on 23 Mar 2011 by Yuriy Akopov

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good basic product, 6 April 2009
S. Moncur (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Somehow crude but fairly good, 23 Mar 2011
This review is from: Bicycle 9/16" Resin & Alloy Folding Bike Pedals (Misc.)

Another notice: when installing them on your bike, don't forget to fold them beforehand. That looks like a coincidence, but I nearly ruined the threading while trying to screw them on unfolded, and it after I folded pedals it was very easy to do.

Everything else is okay about the pedals. The look and feel very solid and sturdy, and hopefully will last longer because of their heavier but hopefully more reliable metal parts. Taking into consideration their price, it's a fairly good choice unless locking mechanism and weight are critical to you.

I'm adding this after 2 years and changing my rating to 3 stars as one of the pedals broke yesterday (it's a problem with a sealed bearing so cannot be fixed). Expect about 2 years of everyday use - not that bad, not good either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the real thing!, 26 May 2009
David Gee (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bicycle 9/16" Resin & Alloy Folding Bike Pedals (Misc.)
This product is better than the pedals supplied with my Dahon Espresso and cheaper that an original part replacement. Why don't Dahon fit these as standard? If you are a "light cyclist" (I ride about 35 mile a week to commute) then these pedals are for you. Others have said they are difficult to fold but it just requires a different technique to fold them than standard Dahon folding pedals, IMO.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid - they broke and left me with a cracked rib, 24 Nov 2011
Grev (Brighton) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Bicycle 9/16" Resin & Alloy Folding Bike Pedals (Misc.)
These worked well initially, but after a couple of months one of them somehow came loose and unlocked itself as I was riding my bike. As it came loose the downward pressure from my foot twisted the chunky (and apparently soft) alloy side rails that lock the main body of the pedal into place.

After much bashing with a hammer I eventually managed to ram the pedal back into the fully locked position, but that obviously means that this pedal no longer folds. The other pedal is still fine.

All of this is obviously very annoying, but then again these pedals are pretty cheap and if I need any more I'd probably by these again - but on this evidence don't expect them to last forever.*

*UPDATE: They didn't. The other pedal broke while I stood up on the pedals to get some momentum as I cycled up a low hill. Result: I hit the ground head first, cracked a rib, and was lucky not to be run over by a passing car. These really aren't built to last and certainly aren't safe. Avoid.

4.0 out of 5 stars How to avoid stiffening bearings, 6 April 2013
This review is from: Bicycle 9/16" Resin & Alloy Folding Bike Pedals (Misc.)
Mindful of reviews complaining of stiffening bearings, I examined my new pairs of pedals closely.
It was immediately obvious that the pedals had been assembled without any lubrication at all. If you tried to spin the pedals, they stopped after a couple of rotations, making the clear sounds of dry bearings.

I couldn't find an obvious way of getting at the bearings (so I could apply good quality motor grease) so I dribbled oil down the spindle, and into the bearing, rotating the pedals all the time. After a few minutes the initial roughness had disappeared, and the pedals rotated freely, going at least 10 rotations before stopping.

Presumably, the black plastic cap opposite the threaded end of the spindle can be removed to service the bearings, but there's no obvious way of getting that out without prying, and that would damage the seal. If anyone knows an easy way to remove these caps, I'd be grateful if you told me.

Whilst I was at it, I also greased the moving parts of the pedal folding mechanism, so now it operates very easily.

If you follow my advice, then please ensure that you wipe away any lubricant which finds its way onto the surface of the pedalling area. Any oil/grease on the pedals can lead to unpleasant injury to your shins, or worse (the voice of experience here...)

4.0 out of 5 stars Replacement folding pedal, 18 Feb 2009
T. A. Gray (Guildford UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bicycle 9/16" Resin & Alloy Folding Bike Pedals (Misc.)
A useful replacement for standard Dahon product which fell to bits after about 6 months. The rubber grips shoes well and is large enough to make a good pedal with no risk of the feet slipping off even in the wet. It is a considerable improvement over the all metal alternative which is robust but slippery in the wet.

The locking mechanism seems a little flimsy but seems to hold well. However, unlocking the pedals is not that easy and does require getting the hands dirty. Good price and (so far) good performance make this a sensible alternative to the standard product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice piece of kit, 15 April 2009
This review is from: Bicycle 9/16" Resin & Alloy Folding Bike Pedals (Misc.)
I have been using these replacement pedals on my daily commute into London for a number of weeks now and think they are great. The mechanism takes a little getting used to after the simplicity of the original Dahon pedals but they really aren't a hassle. I fold/unfold the bike 6 times a day so I think I would get annoyed with them if they weren't so easy to use.
Also generally pretty solid and give good purchase, I have a fairly nasty uphill struggle at the end of the day to get back home of about a mile and a half and they've held out admirably.
Good price too, why pay more!!

2.0 out of 5 stars bike pedals, 12 Aug 2013
C. Bird - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bicycle 9/16" Resin & Alloy Folding Bike Pedals (Misc.)
Perfect for what was needed fold up pedals so our two folding bikes pack into the back of our car easier. Quick and easy to fold in and out

1.0 out of 5 stars pedals, 28 Mar 2013
This review is from: Bicycle 9/16" Resin & Alloy Folding Bike Pedals (Misc.)
these pedals fold with difficulty . look cheap and are poorly finished , they should be sprung loaded as they fold with great difficulty

5.0 out of 5 stars good product at a very reasonable price, 4 Nov 2012
Richard Bond - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bicycle 9/16" Resin & Alloy Folding Bike Pedals (Misc.)
The pedals came on time. They are well designed and well made. Hard to beat at the price. I am happy to recommend them.

ARRAY(0xb46d93a8)