The Simpsons Movie [Blu-ray] [2007]
Format: Blu-rayChange
Price:£6.71+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 12 October 2008
Simpsons: Season One (REGION 1) (NTSC)

The whole thing is a mixture of different parodies with fans of Disney & Independence Day getting the needle . There is the usual raucous blend of satire & social comment coupled with madcap slapstick . All our favorite characters are present in this mickey being taken out of conspiracy films left , right and center . As per usual Homer causes mayhem - only now on a bigger scale than is normally the case . There is a good strong moral about not harming the Eco-system through ones own selfishness while the political class comes in for the type of razor sharp critique that Rory Bremner would be proud to call his own . The conflict between love of family & the need for civic duty is touchingly & effectively covered in this film . I am sure that many people long for the sequel !

You can certainly watch this movie on two levels - either as a child laughing at the cartoon type silliness or as an adult enjoying the mockery being doled out to those in high places . It is a feel good spin off from a successful & long running series that is great and knows it . The editing & writing is inspired as is the casting . Amazon are offering it at a great price. So there are certainly worse ways to pass the time than picking up your duff n donuts and having a few laughs with the best purveyors of cinematic parody since the Carry On series proper ended in 1978 . Like the Carry On's The Simpsons are a long running comedy series that know how to get laughs from many subjects and are in many ways historical sources as they betray the attitudes that where popular when they where made . So don't delay - buy from Amazon today !
on 2 October 2008
There are many mixed reviews for The Simpsons Movie. I think that huge fans were expecting 'The World's Greatest Movie' and were a bit disappointed because it doesn't really offer much else above your normal Simpsons episode but it is still very funny and enjoyable. It doesn't have the best of plots, the only downside I give the movie is that it could have been made a bit more believable.

It of course features all of The Simpson family and follows their adventures when Homer accidentally pollutes Springfield Lake causing the US Government to place the town in a 'superdome', you see why I criticise slightly for not being so believable.

What I really like about the movie though is that it features the majority of the entire Simpsons cast, even if just for a few seconds each (Personally I feel they should have used Ralph Wiggum more!). Another thing is that like The Simpsons series the movie allows first time Simpson viewers to be able to fully enjoy the film without not knowing much about the dysfunctional family.

Overall, lots of fun and one to watch with friends and family!
on 4 October 2008
I really enjoyed this. Especially since I saw the film in the cinema and I wanted to watch it again with the subtitle to try and catch some of the jokes I missed. And I still missed some. As many people have pointed out this is really an overlong TV episode. It's strength is vignette/sketches based around the characters we already know and love, like Maggie being the quiet hero to rescue her daddy. The fact that it's an overlong TV episode is a weakness since it struggles to carry the story for 90 mins.

Having said that, I loved watching it again. Don't forget to watch the extras which are a treat, especially Simon Cowell doing American Idol!
on 2 March 2014
Great, great movie!

When it was announced, I was worried it would ruin the legendary cartoon series that is The Simpsons, so decided not to watch. Until now, It hasn't disappointed me at all. Hilarious scenes from Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa, Maggie.

It seemed like all of Springfield made at least one appearance, as well as some new, non-cannon characters such as a love interest named Colin, for Lisa.

The storyline is solid, unpredictable and the way it has been left was genius. Any more, or any less would have put me off. So glad there is no sequel, although it is hinted at the end.

Very pleased!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
the movie based on long running cartoon the simpsons comes to dvd. running for eighty minutes, this feels like a very long episode. the plot involves homer trying to save the town after having doomed it to destruction. the pace is fast enough such that there's always another funny moment coming along, and pretty much all the characters get to make an appearance. the focus is primarily on the simpsons themselves so the supporting characters don't get too much of a look in. Maybe it's not the greatest movie ever made, but it's still funny enough to warrant five stars from me.

The dvd isn't the big package of extras you might have expected.

The extras come in four sections. a main section offers two commentaries, one from the writers, producers and some of the actors, and another from the animators. this menu will also let you access the following three sections:

deleted scenes, featuring six scenes that didn't make the final cut of the movie. they're all quite funny.

special stuff. four short films that may not mean much to british viewers, as they centre round a few american things. one has homer as guest host on an american chat show. one has him hosting the american version of pop idol. one has him as a judge on this, judging simon cowell's singing [very funny scene!] and one has him in a parody of an advert for food that used to be played a lot in american cinemas.

the trailers section offers five different trailers for the movie that ran over the past year and a bit in cinemas.

Watching this on a PC and moving the pointer over the top wording in each of these sections activated an easter egg for each, each showing production drawings for one of the characters. and if you go the set up menu, accessed via the main menu, click on the left side to bring up a spoof trailer for TDK sound. Doubtless moving the controls round on a dvd player may bring these up if you can't see them on a computer.

Not the best package for the movie, but a fun enough film for this to warrant five stars
on 17 November 2013
Lisa convinces the locals to clean up Lake Springfield after the sinking of the Green Day stage at a concert. Homer saves a pig from being killed in Krusty Burger and adopts it.

The Pig fills up a silo with its excrement and Homer dumps the silo in the lake, polluting it.

The townsfolk force the Simpsons to move to Alaska. President Schwarzenegger is induced by his adviser from EPA to put a dome over Springfield to hold the population and destroy the city.

When Marge finds out, she tells Homer that they must return to Springfield to save their town and friends, but Homer is not convinced if people of Springfield deserve their support.......

I remember seeing this on the opening weekend, and it blew me away. It was everything I could of wished for, and a little bit more. Six years later, I introduce it to my daughter for the first time, and while its still funny in places, it really doesn't hold up like it did.

The film relies on being topical, and this is why it worked back then. Now when I hear Spider Pig, or Harry Plopper, I cringe as it went into overkill back in 2007, they used too much of a good thing back then, and they tainted the overall product.

The animation is first class, and kudos to the makers for making The Simpsons actually feel like a film, rather than an extended episode that outstays its welcome.

Simpson fans will love it, but if like me, you haven't seen it since release, you won't remember it being this average..
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The first and so far movie outing for our yellow family was an long overdue one. I haven't got much idea into why this was delayed (apparently, the movie was first brought up in 1996) but it took another 10 years before it was released.

The film took eleven writers, many of them who worked on the golden years (Season 4-8) and it took six years to make but was it really worth all that wait? The film came with so much hype about it being a return to form for a show which had by this point long ran out of stream and the show's shift from the heart-felt family-next-door to the Family Guy-esque cash cow had long rooted in, and for a while before seeing this, I actually believed them. I, like many who had concerns for this, hopes risen, all the good reviews given by the press and boasting from Groening really made me think that they might have found a return to form on the big screen. To give us something special which would not see for free at home. I was looking forward to this.
Well, after coming out of the cinema (theatre in America), I actually considered withdrawing any last support I had for this show. Yes, it was actually that bad.

To question the critics who went on and on about how much this movie was a return to the old Simpsons, what were they smokin???? Seriously.

I had said many a times I am no Simpsons hater or a typical "Season 3-8 were the best" snob but really, this movie pretty much summed everything that has gone wrong for the Simpsons in recent years.

Telling a you a bit about the plot, but not much in case I spoil it for you, the plot, which had 11 writers, (although I bet you it was just Al Jean and Ian Maxtone-Graham writing this, with the others 9 just given little ideas), could have been an 4-episode TV special like Who Shot Mr. Burns? from Season 15-17 and you wouldn't notice a difference. Homer, in all infinite wisdom, adopts a pig (Yes, that damn Spider-Pig) and dumps his waste in the lake, making the town toxic. The president Arnie (I know they could have used Rainer Wolfcastle but they forgot what they were good at years ago) places a dome over the town. The family flees (I will tell you a miss opportunity in the plot in a moment), and escapes to Alaska. Homer does return but it via Marge nagging. I will stop there because I've said enough. I'm not given any more away.

Now, starting with this plot opportunity, another reviewer said a better idea would have been if the Simpsons stayed in the town, drop the Alaska c..p and helped plot with the residents to remove the dome. That would have gave a lot more air time to supporting characters which a lot more people loved more then the main ones. They were underused in this whole thing and quite simply, everyone has enough of "The Homer Show". Why could they have not focused on the supporting characters like the townsfolk was a complete clanger and virtually blew away any chance of this film being redeemable. They was no Patty & Selma, Mr. Burns (he could have been the villain for crying out loud, not another government goon no-one cares about), Principal Skinner or Sideshow Bob. I don't think Barney had any lines. Ralph Wiggum out of all of them having the most screen time says a lot about recent Simpsons.

As for the main family, they have become such caricatures of themselves, you start not to care about them. Marge is nothing now but a Lois-Griffin mould nagger, Lisa (the worst character of the modern Simpsons) continues with her super-soapbox liberalism it's annoying and she has another date which leads to nowhere with some Irish boy who will never hear of again next season, Maggie has long stopped being cute and they have got to now give her some lines or just end her & Bart, well, why does he know need a father-figure, especially in geeky Flanders? Why? What? And now for Homer, being the main character, god. Was he ever bad in this. They simply decided to take the recent dumb, heartless yob Homer here to a new level. Someone so selfish, ignorant, mindless and just plain stupid getting all the screen time makes you press the eject button faster than a speeding bullet. If the main character is like that, you just don't care. Why would you care about a man who doesn't care about his family or friends and when he does save the day, it's only through force.

Just what has happened to that pure emotion that the Simpsons showed when they at their peak. Nowhere to found here. They do try to inject a Marge-Homer heart-felt moment about Marge thinking of leaving him but it doesn't work. Things like that has been done to death on the show. Come up with something new now.

Getting onto the jokes, well, not much can be said for them. Watch any episode between Season 12 to Season 18 and you got that here. While I was at the cinema, no one is my cinema screen really laughed once! The suppose-belly busting Simpsons fail to gain a true laugh in a 200-seater screen all evening. They were one or two people who laughed once or twice but they were actually force-laughing!!!! Quite a few however groaned. Want to know what kind of jokes they used, just imagine or watch a Season 16 episode.

They were some positives to take from this however. The animation was actually pretty good and slick at times knowing that they have long stop using cel-animation, it was good digital-ink-and-paint and the voice actors were on top form as usual. A few couple of gags worked but it was only chuckle worthy.

This is longest review I've ever written on Amazon.co.uk and this probably double as long as it should be but I had a lot to talk about. Anyone who really hoped that the Simpsons were returning to form with this lame-feature length addition are bound to be disappointed. To my anger at the critics, they is nothing on this movie that harks back to the glory days, just a fun, great time for anyone who likes the louder, celeb, zany later seasons. Put simply, if you love Seasons 12-18, this film's for you. Casuals might find this a good time filler. But anyone who loved the Simpsons between Season 2-9 might wish to steer case in case you want to be depressed. With all those writers, why could they have not had a better plot. I don't really like South Park but their 1999 movie admittedly had a miles-better plot and it actually felt like you were getting something that you weren't getting on television. These folks in Simpsonsland seems to have forgotten that when we go see a Simpsons Movie, we want something more than just a 4 episodes stuck together and placed in a cinema screen. We want something we don't get on TV. I think the Itchy and Scratchy short at the start explained that.

Boy how I wish Fox pull the plug on this show when the millennium hit!

Getting to the main point of this long-drawn out, rant-and-rave review. To any avid Simpsons fan, this will be a must-add as always to your collection. Kids and casuals should like this. To a real earlier Simpsons fans, you might wish to avoid.
on 24 September 2014
Right at the beginning Homer is at the movies and asks the question everyone asks at some point, why pay for something you've watched for free, well, it hasn't done Star Trek any harm whatsoever, in a way it's like watching three back to back episodes and to be fair it's laugh out loud funny several times, as well as have a "wry grin on the face" at other times, I don't knwo I'd pay thirty or forty quid to see it, coutning in ice creams, drinks, etc but most definitely worth buying the DVD.
on 9 October 2008
I expected it to be funny, satirical, irreverent, silly, like an extended TV episode, with flashes of brilliance, and above all hugely enjoyable. And that's what it was. Bart's naked skateboard ride is a classic.

I can't understand how anyone who liked the lovely yellow family on the small screen can give this a bad review. True, many of the established Springfield regulars are missing, but you can't have everything. If you're a fan of the Simpsons, this is a gem. There are second hand copies going cheap now, so buy......you won't regret it!
on 12 January 2008
As long as you don't have expectations as high as the super simpsons fans i.e. nerdy fans. then you should love this movie it is just as good if not bigger better and funnier than the tv series. It's not an iconic movie of our time but it is fantastic, with a good storyline in-line with what we've all come to expect from the simpsons creators, and laughs all the way through, somehow they manage to keep the audience's attention from start to finish, as if it was just a half an hour episode but they manage to achieve this in a feature length movie format. As a huge simpsons fan I don't believe this could have been any better, it's a movie that everyone can enjoy.