on 23 April 2008
My first impression with the RDI, once out of the box is how gorgeous it looks and how much smaller it is than my 90's 'ghetto blaster'.

Second impression is how short the power cable is (approx 4-5 feet).

Third impression is how easy it is to get everything up and running i.e. all DAB stations were located and tuned (I did however need the ariel fully extended). Love the rolling current track/artist playing and radio station genre displayed in the LCD window. Unfortunately no track/artist listing for LCD when linked to i-pod.

My i pod classic fits neatly and relatively easily into the cradle with adapter (great idea that you can retract cradle when not in use, saving potential damage and maintaining aesthetics) and i pod is equally easy to remove. Remote control can fully operate all functions of the RDI and the i pod when connected and appears to have fairly good range.

Fourth impression is sound, on DAB this is more than acceptable, however i pod is superb and absolutely blows away my 90's 'ghetto blaster'. Has base and treble adjustment which can be tweaked to taste. No noticable white noise and distortion is only present at the very highest volumes, which believe me are high, as this machine can really be cranked up.

So the positives and the reasons I give it 5 stars are, looks, size, DAB functionality, great sound and build quality of main unit and remote.

Negatives are a shortish power cable and no current track/artist display for i-pod (slightly harsh, maybe!)

Some other reviews have mentioned that 'piano black' gathers dust and marks, well most things gather dust, it's unavoidable, however such things as finger marks are, since the remote functionality is that good, why do you need to touch the RDI? Just use the remote.To those who have mentioned the flimsiness of the ariel, ariels are notoriously vulnerable anyway, so treat with care!

Can't comment on the alarm, as I bought it, not as an alarm clock, but to provide quality music around the house and on this score it certainly doesn't disappoint.

LATEST NEWS - THE UNIT HAS PACKED IN AFTER 2.5 YEARS. IT WAS WORKING FINE ONE DAY, I SWITCHED IT OFF AND MOVED IT OT ANOTHER ROOM, SWITCHED IT BACK ON, IT THEN MADE A HORRIBLE BUZZING NOISE AND THAT WAS THE END OF THA!!!!! IT WAS ABSOLUTELY GREAT WHILST IT WORKED, BUT WHAT HAPPENED? IT SEEMS IT HAD THE SAME FAULT AS A LOT OF OTHER SIMILAR COMPLIANTANTS SYSTEMS...................IT JUST STOPS WORKING. DISAPPOINTING!
FIVE STARS WHILST IT WORKS - ONE STAR WHEN IT JUST STOPS
on 27 February 2008
Just recieved this item today, one day ahead of the time specified by Amazon very very impressed with the delivery.

The unit is awesome. Sounds just as good as it looks. Dab radio is fantastic plenty of choice of stations. Playback trhough the Ipod is also quality.

Read reviews on What Hifi running down this unit, i may not be an audiophile but the sound quality is very very good. For the price cant be beaten.

I almost bought the logitek pure fi dream but the lack of dab radio put me off.

Dont believe the bad press from What hi fi and other audio snobs. Highly recommended.
on 27 February 2008
Just wanted to tell everyone that I bought this and was very pleased with it but I could hear a lot of white noise. I told Intempo who told me they have now fixed the problem and that as I have only had the unit for a couple of weeks they would replace. Sure enough, I spoke to them on Monday and now I have a replacement (wed) and yes it is much better. I dont really see why people complain at all about this product as the sound quality is definately very good for the money. And I don't really think you can do any better. i had the PURE and the Sound on this is much much better.
on 5 December 2007
Totally agree with the other reviews here, I am one of the lucky ones that received my RDI today and its fantastic. Unbelievable sound quality, bass and treble controls on the remote with built in DAB. I have been looking to replace my old Sony Micro system for months without success, why has it taken so long for a manufacturer to finally add a radio (DAB is a bonus) to higher end speakers. Downloaded Killers - Sawdust, turned up the volume EXCELLENT!

Cheers
on 18 October 2008
I bought this product after previously owning the Altec Lansing im600 and I have to say that I very pleased with this product in comparison.

The unit is solid, sturdy and lovely looking too with a high gloss piano black finish. Suprising not very heavy so it is easy to move into different rooms.

It was very easy to set-up, practically plug and play. I wanted a system which delivered great quality sound at high volumes with added bass and the woofer really helps to deliver this - it is suprising how powerful the unit is for its size and price - the 60W speakers are powerful and give a surround style sound due to the length of the product. It is much better than the Altec Lansing equivalent.

I have a second generation ipod touch and this system also charges it when docked whereas many others currently on the market do not and are not compatible.

The DAB is great - and much better than FM - it literally finds all of the stations for you and you can store the ones you want. I have found the sound quality to be perfect - no probs for me. FYI, I live in North Kent.

The remote control is also great - compact so doesnt take up too much space, but has everything you need on it - with the bass and treble controls on it, as well as navigating through the Ipod menu too.

I use this in my bedroom but could easily use it in the living room as my main system.

In summary, I would highly recommend this for anyone who doesnt want to pay over the odds with the likes of Altec Lansing and Bose but get a comparable system. Intempo have nailed it with combining an ipod docking station with DAB and FM, all with added bass and treble - one of the only ones on the market that do this at the moment. What more could you want from a docking station unit?
on 11 April 2008
Everything that has been written here so far has been totally correct! This is an amazing DAB radio and the docking station works perfectly! The only two downsides to this wonderful piece of equiptment have already been mentioned but they are valid - firstly, the plug leading from the speaker dock to the mains is ridiculously small and secondly actually fitting the specific ipod into the dock was quite difficult. However these are minor criticisms for what is an excellent piece of technology.
on 6 April 2008
Noted the comments about the sensitivity. the aerial actually is just screwed into a standard socket so you can remove the telescopic aerial and connect up a more powerful aerial. This gives much more flexibility with placement of the unit
on 7 February 2008
I echo most of the comments below and think its a really nice bit of kit but my Star rating is based on it having some features that just don't work so why did Intempo bother including them, that way there would be no dissapointment and 5 Stars. We would give 3 1/2 Stars if poss.

The RDI looks great, sounds great in DAB & iPod and the remote works well but we tested the FM against our cheap radio (even though we're unlikely to use it but others in poor DAB areas might) and it is rubbish only getting a good signal from radio local around the corner and we could hardly hear Radio 1 above the crackle but our cheapy was crystal so why bother including it.

The Alarm we think is another waste of space and a feature we wanted to use. It has 3 Volume settings LOW/MEDIUM/HIGH we'd read some of the reviews but thought it can't be that bad but it is, the LOW setting measures on the Richter Scale and the neighbours have no problem waking up! Needless to say we haven't tried MEDIUM/HIGH.
We wrote to Intempo as I thought the (unexplained in the handbook) mini USB might be for Firmware updates and this was the reply,

The RDI is manufactured as a HI-FI system, the alarm unfortunately cannot
be adjusted and will be loud. The USB is for connection sources!! My
apologies in the loudness of the product!

Any further query's please don't hesitate to contact!

Kind Regards
Lisa
Intempo Digital Ltd
Broken Department
Telephone 01618285219
Fax 01618199641

Again why bother including an alarm and advertizing it as a feature if people can't pratically use it as it only causes dissapointment.
on 2 November 2008
Treated myself to one of these for Christmas and of course when it comes you have to test it make sure all is fine, the best part is that this unit not only plays music from my ipod it also charges my Nano 4th Gen (most older docks wont something to do with the firewire pin being removed from the unit) So this will charge all new Ipods.

The sound is very good lots of Bass and when i scanned for DAB it picked up many stations just by using the aerial connected to the back of the unit.All in all i am delighted with this purchase. Just gutted Amazon droped the price by a tenner 2 days after purchase. LOL
on 9 January 2008
My ancient cd player finally packed up on me after 10 years of battering! Bought this unit as I thought I really should get a bit more up to date and the thought of freeing the mountain of music that I have stored on my ipod from it's headphone shackles turned me on.

It's a fab player. I can listen to and charge my ipod (very handy, no more no battery left on the ipod boring train journeys!) and it has a DAB radio, excellent! I was overwhelmed by the sound quality for such a small unit! I have quite an ecelectic taste in music and so far it has handled Ray Lamontagne's husky voice and Roni Size's drum and bass beats with excellence.

The player looks very nice also and has prize position in my front room in the middle of my bookshelf. It looks very sleek and the tray tucks away for when your ipod is not docked in it. It also come with remote control which allows you to do pretty much everything that the buttons on the unit do.

Overall I would say, I love it! If you are thinking of buying, then do!

See one answered question