5.0 out of 5 stars A true christmas movie
Fantastic film for children and adults alike, even my husband enjoyed it and he doesn't sit through films well. This film puts you in the mood for christmas and makes you believe in the spirt of christmas that you may of had when you were a child. Absolutely love the film and highly recommend it to anyone.
Published on 19 Nov 2005 by C. Parker-buttle

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Package, Horrible 3D
Good job you get the "2D" version as well as the 3D as the 3D is VERY poor. Continual ghosting, especially on close up faces, the (included) red & blue glasses cause whites to almost flash with interfereing colours and some parts of the film simply can't be made out at all.

On the positive side, some of the 3D work is beautiful, it seems particular care was put...
Published on 7 Nov 2009 by Keith Campbell

5.0 out of 5 stars A true christmas movie, 19 Nov 2005
C. Parker-buttle (somerset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely capitvating - despite the animation style, 19 Dec 2006
I didn't know what to expect with this film, but as I thought I'd spend some money this year building a collection of classic Christmas films on DVD, I added this one to the list and, thankfully, I opted for the 2-disc version.

At first I was phased by the freakish near-accuracy of the animated figures. Almost human, but not quite. Only the elves and and train drivers are in any way caricatures. All the children, the adults and Santa are meant to be as lifelike as possible. The little girl is amazing in this respect - utterly believable.

Perhaps it's because I still write poetry for children that, even at the age of 61, maybe I still retain a bit of the childish sense of magic and joy that is essential to enjoy this film. Because that's what it is .... magical and joyful. At times, it is sentimental, but this never becomes too sickly. At times there is high drama and genuine tension. There is also mystery and a few images and questions which are deliberately left unexplained so that you either want to watch the film again, or think about them at your leisure. (Who, for instance IS the tramp who lives on the top of the train? Why is the boy asked if he believes in ghosts? ....) Yes, maybe they over-use the 'roller-coaster' ride effect once too often, but it doesn't really matter. What REALLY counts is that this is a film that draws you into its fantasy world and holds you there with 100% assurance so that you can always be confident that what you are watching is a great story with lots of twists and a very satisfying ending.

If you want a truly magical Christmas film, this one deserves to be right up there at the top of your list.

Oh yes - and why is the 2-disc version the best? Because the features explaining how the film were made are fascinating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical from beginning to end, 6 Nov 2005
AJ SEVERYN "andysev" (St Annes, Lancashire) - See all my reviews
I read the picture book of the Polar Express some years ago. The illustrations are beautiful, and the story is about as Christmassy as you could imagine. The film brings those illustrations to life, and adds wonderful elements to the story. The animation, colour, music and emotions in the story are all beautiful and captivating. It is like a magical dream, and I think the DVD of the Polar Express will rank along such classics like 'The Snowman', 'The Santa Clause' etc as a Christmas perennial family must-see. The two children singing 'When Christmas comes to town' on the back of the train is very moving, the sequence when the girl's ticket blows off the train and through the snowy night is phenomenal, and Josh Groban singing 'Believe' at the end credits is beautiful. A movie for kids, sure, but also a reminder to us grown-ups that being child-like is a quality, not a weakness.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Polar Express, 29 Nov 2005
Mr D J Cannon (Broadstairs, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Wow! I have just bought this for my sister, who incidentaly is 64years young, and I know she will love it. If you love Christmas and all that it stands for, you will love this film. Shed a tear, be thrilled or just soak up the sentiments. A must for ALL the family. I bought myself a copy as well!! Happy Family viewing. Watch it time and time again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Drawer Christmas Animation on Reference Quality disc, 10 Jun 2008
M. C. Crawley "Martin Crawley" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Polar Express [Blu-ray] [2004] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
The Polar Express is an innovative animation that bases itself on several children who are given the chance of a lifetime to go to the North Pole on Christmas Eve via a special train called the Polar Express....The train only has one conductor and no passengers except the drivers....Tom Hanks does a few voiceovers including the conductor whom he looks identical to....The Polar Express has a certain magical christmas feel to it with the Children 's belief of Santa Claus enhanced as they see the elves work their magic in the North Pole....The scenery is exceptional the animation is colourful and very realistic and this Blu-ray really makes high definition look so exceptional with pin sharp detail,fantastic surround sound with a clarity that beats the standard definition version (which I owned myself) beyond a shadow of a doubt.....Look out for the scene of Santa and the reindeers taking off amidst the thosands of elves you will see just how spectacular high definition is as well as getting you into the Christmas mood.......If you want this Christmas Classic with the best picture and sound available then look no further than this fantastic blu-ray version you will not be disappointed.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas Magic!, 1 Nov 2005
Amy (Nottingham, Nottingham United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Sure the critics are going on about the 'scary looking' computer generated characters and the lack of depth to the story line, but I think that what we have to remember here, is that 'Polar Express' is a Christmas film!
For me, last year it really made the festive season- it is such a breath of fresh air to see a film that is not plagued by violence, swearing or a depressing story line. I think life is stressful enough, let alone at Christmas time, and this film is perfect to divert your attentions and really enjoy the magic of Christmas!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great christmas film!, 6 Jan 2007
Get ready for an adventure on a train, a rolacoaster ride/windy journey to the north pole.

An absolutely fab 3D animated movie to suit all the family! We watched this just before christmas last year, couldnt have watched it at a better time. It is perfect for seeing around then, makes it that bit more special too.

The whole story is like a dream about a boy that wakes up through the night and sees a train arriving in his road. He gets onto it, the adventure begins. I also found myself laughing in parts. And could not believe the stunts on the movie and how the train went down up and down parts on the track , just like being on a rolarcoaster.

It is definitely worth watching! Cannot describe it anymore than brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great xmas film, 1 Dec 2005
We all thought this was a great film. As a mixed aged family (children of 2, 7 and 10) there are not many films that we will all sit together and watch. It had my 10 year old believing in father xmas again, my 7 year old just loved it and my 2 year old ( with the attention span of a gnat) sat mesmerized. Even my hubbie commented on what a great film it was. On the down side it has made my children really excited about xmas with 4 weeks to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars *** ESSENTIAL CHRISTMAS VIEWING ***, 2 Mar 2007
Mr. N. Carnegie (Kirkcaldy, Scotland, UK.) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I took my daughter to see this at our local cinema and it was the very first movie that totally captivated her: She sat bolt upright entranced throughout the whole movie and cheered at the end of the movie.

[...]later when we purchased it on DVD it was exactly the same. She absolutely loves this movie and as a consequence so do her parents. In fact I have not met any parents that haven't raved about this movie and how much their kids love it. That I think puts this movie in perspective. It's a Christmas movie for kids and families and it's a Christmas movie loved by kids and families. Essential Christmas viewing! Believe.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't Understand the Negative Comments, 5 April 2006
Small Scale "small_scale" (London UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is a super film for children. Plenty of storyline, just enough peril, and a sack load of magic for the kids ! My 4 year old daughter absolutely loves it. For the ultimate version, you have to see it in 3D at the London IMAX.

The Polar Express [Blu-ray] [2004] [Region Free]
The Polar Express [Blu-ray] [2004] [Region Free] by Robert Zemeckis (Blu-ray - 2007)
6.13