Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 February 2008
Only Rufus could have done it. Such a talented singer and songwriter in his own right with nothing to prove.

Deciding to pay homage to one of entertainments greatest and most loved stars should have been risky and full of pitfalls. I am sure it was, but you will never notice as it turned into a complete and utter success.

A show to please even the most hardened lover of the past and most die hard critic of tribute albums.

It has been a project of love and because of that it has worked so well. You can feel the tribute to Judy and you can sense the overwhelming respect that Rufus has for her memory, and, even with all of that, the performance portrays his own unique personality.

Never to be done again but thankfully those in the know after the Carnegie concert made sure the next project was filmed for posterity and for that we should all be truly grateful. The DVD of the show performed at the London Paladium is fantastic and brings to life the songs and the experience for those who were not able to be there.

Don't miss the chance to put into your music and film collection perhaps the most unique show ever.
on 27 September 2008
I wasn't sure about this album, from reading the reviews on here. Got it anyway and LOVE IT. Can't stop listening to it. It's touching, greatly sung, but also very funny in parts - and very uplifting! I also have to say the actual recording sound is of amazing quality. If you hate rufus wainwright, of course don't bother, but if you like his voice and are open to some entertainment, I think you may well love it too!
on 22 August 2008
Agree with all the positive reviews. Just the perfect album for a lazy Sunday. Outrageously camp, wonderfully arranged and recorded. Rufus is in fine voice throughout, delivering each number with sensitivity and effortless panache.

I just have to say as a straight guy, my partner gets a little worried when I stick this on. Maybe one for when she's out with the girls.
on 28 February 2008
I love Rufus Wainwright but this album is amazing. The big band sound and arrangements are astounding. I always have this on full blast in mt car and it always puts me in a good mood!
on 2 February 2008
Some of these vocals are as great as any that you'll ever hear ("Do It Again" for example). Although I know all of these songs off by heart in versions by other singers, Rufus' versions are so fresh that, listening to this, I often feel like I'm hearing, and fully appreciating, the lyrics for the first time. The whole thing shimmers.
on 4 May 2010
Rufus really shines in this recording, a tribute to Judy Garland's 1961 performance at Carnegie Hall. He shows he understands the material extremely well, providing a pitch-perfect rendition of Judy's original performance with his own delightful voice, even down to emulating the mistakes she made in her recording. The orchestra backing is highly polished, and his performance, though faithful to Judy Garland's, is not lacking in original artisitc thought and interpretation, with him speeding up or slowing down some of the songs as he sees fit.
An excellent record, brimming with nostalgia and musicality.
on 16 January 2008
Having never heard Judy Garland's Carnegie Hall album,i'm coming at this cd from a neutral point of view.Having listened to the album a few times, it is a wonderful tribute to the old school songwriters of yesteryear.
There are fantastic versions of That's Entertainment,Puttin' On The Ritz,Get Happy and many more standards of a golden era,that will never happen again.
As a fan of Rufus's, i did wonder whether this would be a blunder of epic proportions.But i needn't of worried the big band sound suit's him down to the ground.
A lovely album to chill out too,and sing along too.Thoroughly recommended.
on 14 July 2014
I was given this album as a gift. I'd never heard of Rufus Wainwright and I have to say I took one look at the deeply unappealing portrait and shoved it in a drawer and forgot about it until I came across it again recently. Out of curiosity I put it on my MP3 player and decided to give it the once over to and from work. My verdict? Utter Utter Dross. Wainwright's adenoidal groaning soon gets tedious (and he sings flat on more than one occasion) along with his irritating enunciation (e.g. 'me' = 'muuueeeee', 'jubilee' = 'jubiluuueeee'). This is less a platform for talent than one for overweening ego. Recreating a celebrated concert with yourself as the big star? Pffff. What is it with some of my fellow gay men about wanting to be Judy Garland? I'd have thought we would have grown out of this stage a long time ago - both as individuals and as a community. I suppose you'd have to be a dedicated RW fan to get anything out of it. Just get the music from the original concert and enjoy the real experience.
on 13 February 2013
....I'd like to take this opportunity to sum up Rufarse Winge-right in one word....putting it politely (and believe me I really don't want to) Crap! Whoever told him he could sing in the first place needs a good whoopin' ...And this pathetic and sad attempt at a Judy Garland tribute album...deary me...she'll be turning in her grave. Cringeworthy!
on 29 August 2015
Fantastic music and great wit as Rufus sends himself up and introduces the whole family.