5.0 out of 5 stars Very sturdy and fast S60 phone

3.0 out of 5 stars Serious phone
Published on 31 July 2008 by tallpete33

5.0 out of 5 stars Very sturdy and fast S60 phone, 25 Jun 2008
J. Choo "gamer" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nokia E51 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black Steel with Camera (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
I recently upgraded to this phone. Compared to my last Nokia S60 phone (N80), the E51's increased in performance (faster processor and more than double the available RAM) made Series 60 a far more useable operating system. The 2" 240x320 resolution LCD is bright and works well in doors as well as out under the sun. An ambient light sensor automatically adjust the brightness.

The phone is very light (100g) and its sturdy construction ensured it does not feel cheap. The stainless steel body is tough. In fact I accidentally dropped the phone twice (3 feet) onto our hard flooring and not a single dent or scratch was found. It feels great when held, though it can get slippery at times. The E51's battery was capable of lasting a few days despite medium usage of WiFi, text, Bluetooth GPS and voice calls (I did turn 3G off).

The E51 has built-in Bluetooth with A2DP support (wireless stereo), WiFi and HSDPA. Curiously there is no front camera for making 3G video calls, though this does not concern me as I never make video calls. The 2Mp camera is average at best and does not come with auto focus. If you need a better camera it is best to invest in one of Nokia's many N-series phones instead like the N82 or N78.

There are three short cut buttons that allows you to map it to any applications (both for short and long presses). These I find as very useful. The side buttons (and power button) are encased in rubber, making them rather difficult to press though it does ensure that there are not accidentally pressed.

Overall the E51 is a great little Series 60 smartphone that won't break the bank. My only wish is that it comes with a built-in GPS receiver and 3.5mm headphone socket. Otherwise it is close to perfect.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars E51 review, 31 July 2012
I was very pleased with the phone - it was a replacement for a very old E51 that had failed , so I was very familiar with it!1 This mobile phone is now quite hard to find , but if you can find one , I would strongly recommend - robust , easy to use and navigate through though the screen is slightly small.

5.0 out of 5 stars A grown ups phone, 21 Aug 2008
Mr. Guy Mcevoy "Geek In Denial" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The five stars is rated against my requirements - I was looking for a phone that:

- Was superb at its main function, and the thing I use it most for - i.e. A PHONE!
- Would sync via bluetooth with my outlook data (and have a good easy to find calandar)
- SMALL AND NOT BULKY - not pocket buldge
- Decent battery life
- Ability to access my POP email
- Ability to open and review office documents
- 3g, HSPSA and WiFi
- Easy casual surfing of the net
- Ability to connect to my home slingbox (you might have to google that if you don't know what that means!).

This ticked all those boxes (and it does a whole heap more too!). It's rock solid build quality, and the menu system is easy to navigate and very, very custamisable allowing you set up very many 'one touch' keys to do exactly what you want them to do (i.e. one key press and your email opens, one key press and your calandar opens, etc.).

NOTE - if the following features are critically important to you then this will not be the phone for you:

- MP3 playback. It does it, and it does it OK - but this is no swap for my ipod.
- Camera - this is a 2mp only.
- Video phone. There is no forwards facing camera.
- QWERTY keyboard. The email client is great for recieving but you have a standard phone text interface to reply with. If you want a blackberry get a blackberry!

Great kit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good phone, 20 Sep 2013
I bought it for my friend abroad. He don't really use internet on it, but loves the phone as Nokia has always been easy to use.
He is really happy with it as he couldn't get it in his country any more and had exact model for years.

3.0 out of 5 stars Serious phone, 31 July 2008
tallpete33 (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I have a lot of respect for this phone but would advise potential buyers to consider if it suits their needs before buying. My reason for this is that although it is undoubtedly a powerful business tool, in my opinion leaves a lot to be desired as far as style, ease of use and dare I say, entertainment are concerned. In other words, it's a powerful but seriously dull handset.

The looks are nothing special (I have the black version), no better than a £30 pay-as-you-go handset and will gain you no pub-kudos if that is a concern of yours. The keys are small and close together making fast texting and navigating pretty troublesome. On the subject of texting, predictive text is poor. Type in "at" and it will continually default to "cv" for example, "new" becomes "mex" - and it doesn't learn from it's mistakes. The menu system is not particularly intuitive - each action seems to take one more press than necessary. The screen font is tiny, even when on large setting. The battery on mine failed within two weeks of use so that did little to endear it to me, though Vodaphone replaced it quickly and without fuss. The camera is adequate but only 2mp though the screen is quite bright and colourful, if a little small. Ring and call volumes are also not great, even on max - I find myself missing a lot more calls than with other phones.

On the plus side, I'm a fan of the Nokia PC suite software. Connect it to your computer with the USB cable provided and things start to look up. Your texts pop up in the opening menu and can be replied to from your keyboard (much easier). Updating your contacts list is much easier on your PC too. You can download your Office files to view offline via Quickword and Quicksheet, pretty useful if you don't want to lug your laptop around. When out and about, find yourself an unsecure wireless LAN and surf away. Having said that, it's a pretty tedious and unenjoyable affair on the small screen.

Overall, it's a good phone that does much more than I've mentioned here, but it is not too user friendly. It is definitely aimed at the business/power user rather than the teen bus stop texter but I wouldn't call it a joy to use - my colleagues issued with the same model agree. If you do own it however, I would recommend the Krusell leather case (see other review) as the phone is quite small and easy to lose if you're not careful.

5.0 out of 5 stars E51 First Glance, 14 Dec 2007
Mr. B. Mustafa "Bilal" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
I've had this handset for 1 week now and so far I'm quite impressed with all the features that are packed into this tiny device.

Great build quality as always with Nokia Business Phones and a superb upgrade form the previous E50 model.

Both HSDPA and WiFi give excellent browsing/download speeds and the screen quality with is 16 million colours is excellent.

Tomtom 6 works well and leaves plenty of onboard memory free as the Phone has 130MB. Im currently using a 2GB SD card but you can have up to 4GB.

The Nokia Phone Suite allows easy connectivity to your laptop so you can surf anywhere and manage the phone. A dedicated USB port on the phone means you get better performance than using a bluetooth connection.

This phne is a keeper and you won't need to change it after 3 months because it has everything you need in a neat little package already.

The best looking business phone available so I'll have to retire my E50 which has served me well up until I got free Internet from my provider so then I needed a 3G compatible handset.

4.0 out of 5 stars After 3 months..., 18 Jun 2008
The Evil Doctor (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
So I've had my E51 now for 3 months. I bought this unit because I wanted something powerful and not loaded up with gimmicks. The phone is a superb product. The main functionality of the phone is accessible from shortcut icons on the main screen (messaging, contacts, bluetooth etc). Beyond that there is a very nice icon-based menu. Sadly there are lots of tools to choose from in the menu so it can get a bit confusing, but this represents the power of the phone. I have tools to view MS Office documents, listen to music, view Flash animations and even open RealMedia files (streaming audio). The most powerful feature I have found though is the ability to connect to wireless networks (wi-fi). I was sat on the train home browsing the internet for free, which beats buying overpriced magazines from the newsagents! Obviously you need to be careful with the networks you connect to - the phone will not provide much information about the available networks (name and signal strength) so it could be easy to connect to fake (hijacker) networks who would steal your email details, for example. Also, the calendar is superb, as is the to-do notes function. The calendar synchronises perfectly with my Outlook 2003 calendar via USB (lead & software included).
The only downside I have with this phone is that it can freeze and crash quite often. The internet browser is very good but can freeze up when viewing complicated pages (web pages with tons of JavaScript for example). Also when on charge the menus seem to freeze up quite often. Maybe its a patchable bug?
Overall a great phone for business and personal use. A great blend of useful features in a small compact device.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great replacement for my Nokia 6310i, 19 May 2008
I've had the old faithful 6310i for years, and twice "upgraded" to a newer Nokia, both sold on promptly as they were rubbish in comparison. All I wanted was a basic replacement for phoning and texting.

As the years went by, I realised that compatibility with Outlook would be useful for appointments and contacts. With that as the main criteria, I bought this phone and am extremely impressed. The menu and hot keys can be configured by the user, the Symbian software runs much faster than previous phones I've tried and it's got a handful of toys to play with too.

This phone combined with an O2 Simplicity sim card worked out cheaper than any contract package I could find and the phone is a perfect replacement for my antique Nokia.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic phone, 3 Oct 2009
I can recommend, it has all what one who need to call, email and browse internet (for practical reasons) wants.
No useless stuff, well working wi-fi etc. For such price it is a fantastic buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars E51 is superb, 15 July 2008
A. J. Lakey "Alex Lakey" (Near London, UK) - See all my reviews
As a business user who likes some of the useful toys on the N series phones I have long been waiting for a Nokia that has these things but is as reliable and useable as my previous favorites (6230i and 6310i before it). The issue is the N series really are fashion phones and not built for a heavy user.

My company made me use various HTC phones for over 2 years and despite the S620 being decent device the lack of 3G made it slow. Newer HTC devices with 3G either have horrible touch screens that are a pain to use or are so heavy and bulky your pocket feels like it has rocks in it!

And then along comes the E51 - In short it is a great device - all the power of a smartphone but slim, light, great battery life and a great screen. Mine is bulletproof reliable (no crashes) and syncs all my outlook mail, diary and contacts with no fuss over the air using 3G or GPRS / Edge. No the camera isn't great but it suffices for the odd snap if you need to capture something.

If you are a business user who needs a reliable phone that has the proper business tools then this is the phone for you... buy one.