4.0 out of 5 stars Oregon Scientific Handheld Altimeter RA 123
This is an easy to use gadget with a short, readable manual. You need to log on to some databases to get information you need to complete the true-north adjustment part of your compass setup (this is technically optional but you lose accuracy without it). This is all explained in the manual.
You will need an ultrasmall Philip's screwdriver to open the battery...
Published on 29 Mar 2009 by D. Hilton

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment
I obtained the altimeter at the end of July.
An airline pilot friend of mine helped to set it up.
However, I quickly discovered that readings for the same location varied considereably over hours and days. For my home location at 570m I obtained readings as high as 630m and as low as 540m.
I e-mailed Oregan Scientific / US who only replied once I had...
Published on 17 Aug 2009 by P. J. Nurnberger

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, 17 Aug 2009
P. J. Nurnberger (France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Handheld Altimeter (Sports)
I obtained the altimeter at the end of July.
An airline pilot friend of mine helped to set it up.
I e-mailed Oregan Scientific / US who only replied once I had reminded them. Eventually I heard from their UK office:

"The readings with Oregon Scientific products are tested to 75% accuracy.
There will be variance in the readings"

I find this very unsatisfactory and would not have purchased this product
had I been made aware of its limitations.

I plan to return it to Amazon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oregon handheld altimeter with barometer, 5 Mar 2010
This review is from: Handheld Altimeter (Sports)
I bought this from one of your dealers yesterday. It arrived promptly and was what it said on the box. The product however is no more than a kids toy. It is highly inaccurate (I've put it against my Garmin cVista to check its approximations). The altimeter wanders up and down at random, the temp display takes about 30mins to stabilize, the compass is never accurate to more than 45°. The barometer reads incorrectly. Display can't be fixed on compass, always reverts. I suggest you tell Oregon about this and stop selling this product. In my opinion it's worse than useless even as a toy. I'll give it to my dog to chew as a bone!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Oregon Scientific Handheld Altimeter RA 123, 29 Mar 2009
D. Hilton (UK) - See all my reviews
You will need an ultrasmall Philip's screwdriver to open the battery compartment to allow power up (and to replace batteries later on). The torch is too weak to be useful outdoors, and would drain the batteries, but the backlight is useful.

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 11 Sep 2011
This review is from: Handheld Altimeter (Sports)
Have had this piece of kit for a few years now and when I remember I have it I put new batteries in and take it with me, I don't know why because it is useless, nothing works and is so inaccurate that it always just ends up in the bottom of the rucksack, I have taken it to morocco, India Himalaya and Nepal it won't be going anywhere else, only thing stopping me throwing it in the bin is the price I paid for it. I keep thinking it is just me who can't use it properly so I keep trying, I won't try anymore.

1.0 out of 5 stars No Response, 1 July 2009
C. Connell (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Handheld Altimeter (Sports)
As previous review, this item did not arrive, no contact from the seller, despite the two emails I sent, and no answer from customer service telephone number.

1.0 out of 5 stars ??, 1 May 2009
This review is from: Handheld Altimeter (Sports)
This item never arrived and no contact at all from the seller.
Amazon were super at issuing a refund without my even having to ask.

1.0 out of 5 stars altimeter not accurate, 3 Jan 2011
My husband purchased this and was initially very pleased with it, however he quickly realised that the altimeter was wildly inaccurate and therefore pretty much useless. I contacted the seller to ask for a refund, however they didn't reply to my email and I had to follow it up a week later.After 2 weeks they agreed to refund and provided a return address. I returned the altimeter using special delivery but the post office could not deliver it. It took them a week to pick it up and a chasing email from me. The company did not reply to my email (admittedly it was by now the week before christmas due to their initial slowness in replying) so I contacted Amazon by phone and they were excellent, suggesting i made a claim through their guarantee system. I did that and the amount was refunded within 2-3 days as they said they had received a refund from the seller.
So not a great product, and the company are not very good at repling to emails! I would not buy it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Oregon - hopeless, 17 Jan 2011
Raymond A. Hook (Dereham, Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Handheld Altimeter (Sports)
My wife bought this for me as an Xmas present to use, mainly abroad, in our motorhome. As others have reported, the altimeter does wander but it is trying to do the impossible - differentiate between pressure changes caused by weather and altitude. Hmmm.

I can forgive the above but the fabric lanyard which comes with it to attach to the carabineer to clip on my belt is too short to wrap around the shank of the RA123. When I contacted Oregon by email they suggested I buy a new belt (irrelevant) and then refused to continue the discussion. When I subsequently phoned (their usual number is an expensive 0871 - try 01628 580154 instead) they said they don't keep spares and the whole unit should be returned to Amazon for replacement. So don't expect any sort of customer service from Oregon.

2.0 out of 5 stars In need of QC, 7 Feb 2011
Raymond A. Hook (Dereham, Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews

Thought I'd contact their HO instead and asked for the name of the CEO/MD. Oregon prefer keep this a secret (I can understand why!) and refused to help again. This is the ultimate in poor customer support.

4.0 out of 5 stars ... recalibrate during day from known heights but lightweight and easy to, 5 Oct 2014
This review is from: Handheld Altimeter (Sports)
need to recalibrate during day from known heights but lightweight and easy to read

Handheld Altimeter