5.0 out of 5 stars A really gorgeous bag.
Published on 15 Jan 2011 by K. Street

3.0 out of 5 stars good bag but too big for average sized woman's shoulders
Published on 9 May 2010 by Katrina Exter

5.0 out of 5 stars A really gorgeous bag., 15 Jan 2011
I really don't understand the people complaining about the size of this bag. In the field of 17-inch laptop bags, it's one of the smallest. It's slim-line and, due to its lack of external pockets, doesn't stick out at the sides or the front. It actually takes up less space than my previous, 15-inch, bag. It's a fabulous bag, beautifully made, very high-quality and also very lightweight. The lining inside has a lovely, luxurious texture, the laptop section is well padded, the back section is rigid enough to be supportive without being entirely inflexible, the zips are sturdy and everything feels generously made and solid. The colour and design is stylish and under-stated, and it manages to look elegant, sophisticated and, above all, grown-up despite being ultimately a rucksack. The smaller case that comes with it (actually intended as a cable case I think, given the picture of a power cord on it) was a fabulous bonus. I have been looking for a solidly-constructed pencil case of about this size (without some silly kids' cartoon on it) for literally months with no success. It was exactly what I've been looking for.

I would say that I'm actually using this bag to carry a 14-inch laptop. I know, from previous experience with Belkin slimline bags, that you have to go at least one (if not two) sizes up, if you want to put anything in there other than the bit of electronics it was designed for. Into this bag I can fit my folder, some other papers, laptop, laptop rest, charger, bulging pencil case, wallet, keys, phone (there's a very handy zipped pocket inside but at the top of the bag which is just perfect for a phone) and even a bottle of water without disrupting its beautiful lines. And all for about the quarter of the price of many other bags out there. I really cannot recommend this enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good price, great bag, 22 Nov 2008
Bill B (Lincoln UK) - See all my reviews
I travel a lot by train so wanted a laptop bag that could double as a travelling bag from home to office. So it had to have lots of pockets so I can easily access train tickets, ipod etc. I was worried that becuase of the extra padding the bag had that it might be quite heavy like other bags I have had in the past but I was surprised how light it was. So really you are just carrying the weight of your laptop. As others have said loads of compartments to store bits and bobs. Love the outside zipped pockets great for stuff you need to easily get your hands on. I agree with others that there is no need to purchase an additional sleeve since the inner lining is great protection. I love the little zipped bag for the power cords etc thats even got a cusioned lining in it. Its a well built bag with a great comfortable wide strap which is great for walking with. Also it has a large exteranl side pocket on the opposite side to the zipped pockets which is great for storing A4 note pads and papers. I have just enough space to store my laptop, power cord, 3g card, wallet, keys and the couple of files I need for the day. Great buy -well worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical & Stylish, 6 Jun 2009
Graham Mccarthy "gmccarthy15" (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Belkin 17" Laptop Messenger Bag in Black and Red (Accessory)
OK, let's deal with the size of this bag. If your laptop is bigger than 39cm x 27cm x 5cm then your going to struggle to fit it in. I'd regard these measurements as the limit. The laptop compartment is very well padded and so I really wouldn't bother with a sleeve and it's also red inside, a nice touch. Inside, in addition to the padded laptop compartment, there are three open pockets, one measuring 40x20 (suitable for an A4 pad) and two at 15x20 that will fit a mouse etc. There is also a zipped compartment measuring 32x9 and a couple of business card size pockets. There's also sufficient room for the power supply in here and a separate nylon `pencil' case is supplied for this(very handy).

On the outside of the case there's a zipped pocket measuring 30 wide x 20 deep with a pocket inside and a further zipped compartment on the front 15x25. I'm not sure how handy this one is, you could only really get thin items in it. Finally there is an open pocket with a Velcro seal measuring 40x25 that can be used to hide the shoulder strap and/or carry a thin A4 binder.

The bag is very neat and very well made; the crimson interior and trimmings are a nice touch and makes this bag slightly unusual. The handle is wide, secure and slightly padded making it comfortable to carry, even when it's fully loaded. The shoulder strap is wide enough to spread the load and won't cut into your shoulder and a really nice feature is the way that is can be stowed in the pocket when not in use (although it cannot be detached from the bag).

The bag isn't as capacious as some and if you `live' out of your laptop bag then this probably isn't the one for you. But if you need a stylish bag that's easy to carry, neat and well made, then for the price you really won't do better than this one. I can highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 11 Mar 2010
Great design, has pockets to fit all your laptop accessories.
Regardless of the specified maximum 17 inch it perfectly fits my dell studio 17.3 inch laptop with dimensions - 41.5 x 28 x 4cm, however if you have this laptop with a big battery like mine (making the back end 6cm thick)you must put it in front first to fit.
I wouldn't recommend any laptop wider than 41.5cm, other dimensions have plenty more space.
Bag exterior dimensions - 45 x 35 x 11cm (without excessive content)

3.0 out of 5 stars good bag but too big for average sized woman's shoulders, 9 May 2010
Katrina Exter (Belgium) - See all my reviews
This bag, as a bag, is very good. Well made, good pockets, good padding. However, I have normal shoulders for a woman and the straps of this bag are too wide and placed slightly too far apart. Hence it is a tad on the uncomfortable side. I wish they would make the 15' one as a normal backpack (1 shoulder cross-strap is so bad for your back), as this bag is also a tad too wide in the body. I have not been able to find a laptop backpack designed for a woman's frame (do they think only men carry laptops?) and this is for sure the best one, for the price, but it still is not ideal.

3.0 out of 5 stars better than nothing, 1 Jan 2009
I. Hurley (Plymouth, UK) - See all my reviews
I have been searching for a laptop bag that fits my 17" widescreen laptop, and is not boring black for ages. Having returned others, finally, this one fits. The only problem is that I cannot open the top all the way, so because of the weight of the laptop I struggle to slip it into the pouch. Otherwise like the space for all the parts and the extra little pouch for small bits. I like that it looks different, but it is not the most convenient bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars BARGAIN, 4 Oct 2011
This bag is an absolute bargain!

I bought one for my dell xps 17" and when combined with a sleeve, could not want for more.

I was looking at the likes of the samsonite pillow2 backpack and the Wenger swissgear pegasus. Sure, they are a lot more expensive, but decided to go for this one combined with a quality sleeve for protection of my laptop when carrying to and from uni, home and friends houses.

comfort (4*)-
The shoulder straps are pretty wide and feel like they have been reinforced with a hard flexible plastic, i have pretty broad shoulders and when fully loaded the pack can be pretty weighty, but i haven't had any issues with it digging in and cutting. The actual back support area is quite firm, but not uncomfortable, i presume this is to help with the rigidity of the laptop carrying compartment, so in my books, thats probably a good thing. Personally i would prefer the bag to have waist straps to help distribute the wieght and for added security, but this is just my choice. I can imagine that if the user was a petite female, this bag would be pretty big and potentially uncomfortable, but it is one of the smallest 17" laptop bags around. The styling might make the bag look big and square, but this is due to size and functionality over other things.

Quality (5*)-
the quality of the bag is surprisingly good for ~20. The actual materials used on the bag are fantistic with quality zips and excellent stitching combined with what appear to be decent materials too, i cant really fault it to be honest. The shoulder straps are pretty good too, although maybe a little more padding would be benneficial. The buckles and pull straps that attatch the shoulder straps to the bag aren't great, they don't feel as strong or secure as some others i have seen, but considering the price point, and the overall quality, i feel this is nit picking. If the bag was 50, then this may be a minor irritation, but at ~20, i feel that its a tiny point to raise.

Laptop compartment (5*)-
Most 17" laptops are ussually pretty expensive and can be a pain to carry around. This was the reason i was looking at the more expensive end of the market, but threw caution to the wind and purchased this one at less than 1/3 of the price.

Padding is surprisingly good. The actual laptop sleeve in the bag is lined with a velvet type material to prevent scratches, but i would recomend combining with a sleeve anyway for added protection as it doesnt go all the way to the top of the main compartment allowing other things in the main compartment to potentially scratch your laptop, although unlikely. There is about 10-15mm of dense foam padding all around the laptop with a bit more at the sides and bottom edges (something some laptop bags dont have!). The other thing i like about this bag is although it isn't a rigid bag, it is pretty stiff and holds its shape when nothing is in it due to the firm materials and thick, dense padding. This means when your laptop is in it, it is not only secure within, but feels like it is in a safety cell.

As far as dimensions are concerned its pretty good. I have a Dell XPS 17 with a 9 cell battery and it is probably one of the biggest 17" laptops on the market at 42cmx28cmx6cm (at its thickest point). I use a quality sleeve too. If your laptop is bigger than this then i suggest you look elswhere as it is a snug/perfect fit with very little movement in any direction, it holds it still.

Other compartments (5*)-
As my laptop is nearly identical to the size of an A3 pad, i can carry 2 or 3 of these around too, as well as A4 pads, several pencil cases etc etc. With the bag comes a padded pouch for cables. I think this is designed for the power block, but the Dell transformer doesnt fit so i use it for my portable HDD, mouse and graphics tablet accessories. There are other assorted pockets too for bits and bobs and a handy one on the front where i keep a notebook and pen for instant access without rummaging around too much.

Overall i would deffinately recomend this bag!

Style is good and if you are like me (6ft4 male) then it doesn't look too big and rediculous on your back, athough all 17" laptop bags will be similar size.

5.0 out of 5 stars Over the moon!, 13 April 2010
R. C. Hilton "Becky" (Royton, Oldham) - See all my reviews
This bag arrived quickly and was even better than what I was expecting!!!! I had searched far and wide for a bag that would fit 17" plus laptops! (They are very far and few between trust me!) It fits my 17.4" Samsung perfectly! There are plenty of pockets and space for storage. The case provided for plugs and leads is a valuable addition as it protects them from scratching the laptop and holds them easily. It looks like a large pencil case if you will. It's a really well made, sturdy bag that screams quality and looks far more expensive than it actually is! It has a handle on top of the bag for hand held carrying as well as a shoulder strap. The bag is very light to carry and has the appearance of a designer bag! Very nicely finished off with contrasting lining and zip handles etc. One thing I was worried about was the plugs fitting in the bag without mis-shaping the bag or scratching the laptop but the bag is that roomy this doesn't happen and as mentioned above the plug/lead case provided with the laptop bag prevents this from happening and still fits inside the bag itself! After reading through lots of reviews on this product I honestly can only agree with the 5* ones as I'm truly over the moon with this bag! It's the best bag I've come across and believe me I'm fussy!!! I never do reviews so my time spent writing this shows how pleased I am! I'm now going to write yet another review for Belkin... Cushtop!!! Another fantastic product from Belkin go and read that review now!!! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars It Fits!, 13 Jan 2009
R. Barrett (York, UK) - See all my reviews
Just in case anyone is concerned about how big this is, I can fit the neoprene sleave inside this with my Dell Studio 17 Widescreen laptop, great fit, only tiny gripe is the shoulder strap is perhaps not quite long enough, but only by a couple of inches, the strap though feels very comfortable on my shoulder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Belking Laptop Messenger Bag 17", 18 Oct 2008
I received my bag last friday, and its excellent. My 17" laptop fits snuggly in it and its very comfortable to carry on and off the shoulder. Brilliantly made and worth every penny in fact you'll think that they are mad to sell it for only 20 ish. Superb Top Rating from me. But belkin make great products as far as I am concerned I dont buy anything else.