5.0 out of 5 stars Good price, great bag
Published on 22 Nov. 2008 by Bill B

3.0 out of 5 stars Its wider than it looks!
First of all, not sure why this product shares aggregate reviews with other Belkin products. I think its an attempt to make this product look more popular than it really is. Be warned.

Published 19 months ago by Kho

5.0 out of 5 stars Good price, great bag, 22 Nov. 2008
Bill B (Lincoln UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Belkin Neoprene Messenger Bag for Upto 17 inch Laptops - Chocolate/Tourmaline (Accessory)
I travel a lot by train so wanted a laptop bag that could double as a travelling bag from home to office. So it had to have lots of pockets so I can easily access train tickets, ipod etc. I was worried that becuase of the extra padding the bag had that it might be quite heavy like other bags I have had in the past but I was surprised how light it was. So really you are just carrying the weight of your laptop. As others have said loads of compartments to store bits and bobs. Love the outside zipped pockets great for stuff you need to easily get your hands on. I agree with others that there is no need to purchase an additional sleeve since the inner lining is great protection. I love the little zipped bag for the power cords etc thats even got a cusioned lining in it. Its a well built bag with a great comfortable wide strap which is great for walking with. Also it has a large exteranl side pocket on the opposite side to the zipped pockets which is great for storing A4 note pads and papers. I have just enough space to store my laptop, power cord, 3g card, wallet, keys and the couple of files I need for the day. Great buy -well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really gorgeous bag., 15 Jan. 2011
I really don't understand the people complaining about the size of this bag. In the field of 17-inch laptop bags, it's one of the smallest. It's slim-line and, due to its lack of external pockets, doesn't stick out at the sides or the front. It actually takes up less space than my previous, 15-inch, bag. It's a fabulous bag, beautifully made, very high-quality and also very lightweight. The lining inside has a lovely, luxurious texture, the laptop section is well padded, the back section is rigid enough to be supportive without being entirely inflexible, the zips are sturdy and everything feels generously made and solid. The colour and design is stylish and under-stated, and it manages to look elegant, sophisticated and, above all, grown-up despite being ultimately a rucksack. The smaller case that comes with it (actually intended as a cable case I think, given the picture of a power cord on it) was a fabulous bonus. I have been looking for a solidly-constructed pencil case of about this size (without some silly kids' cartoon on it) for literally months with no success. It was exactly what I've been looking for.

I would say that I'm actually using this bag to carry a 14-inch laptop. I know, from previous experience with Belkin slimline bags, that you have to go at least one (if not two) sizes up, if you want to put anything in there other than the bit of electronics it was designed for. Into this bag I can fit my folder, some other papers, laptop, laptop rest, charger, bulging pencil case, wallet, keys, phone (there's a very handy zipped pocket inside but at the top of the bag which is just perfect for a phone) and even a bottle of water without disrupting its beautiful lines. And all for about the quarter of the price of many other bags out there. I really cannot recommend this enough.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its wider than it looks!, 21 Dec. 2013

Anyway, I just received the "Belkin Impulse Slim Back Pack for upto 17 laptops (Jet/Cabernet)". My first impression is its large size. It's bigger than I expected it to be, much bigger.

While the backpack itself is quite slim it is however very wide. I am 5'9" and have a 39" chest, I consider myself a man with a medium build, and this backpack is as wide as my back. It probably wouldn't be suitable for skinny men, women, children, or anyone with a slim build.

When wearing it I am quite conscious of its size, although it doesn't affect me while walking around wearing it. However, it does make me feel like a turtle.

My second thought was "I've bought a suitcase with straps". It would be more suitable for a weekend away where you need to stow your bulky laptop, accessories, and probably a few clothes. As a day pack it is on the bulky side.

As a bag for commuting it is large enough to store a laptop and maybe two binders. Unfortunately because it is "slim" it does lack depth, but appears to make up for it in terms of width. This means you can fit a laptop and maybe one or two textbooks, and then enough room on the side to fit a bottle of drink, an umbrella, or a thermos (pictures have been uploaded). Because of the extra height, you could probably fit a light jacket or jumper too.

The sleeve for the laptop is plenty wide to fit even of bulkiest of 17" laptops. But it probably isn't as well suited for 14.6" ultrabooks - which is what I have. While the bag does provide adequate protection for an ultrabook, it does feel like there is enough room to fit a second one in there (see pictures).

Unfortunately Belkin no longer do this backpack for 15" laptops. Apparently they did - but discontinued the 15" range several years ago, which is a shame. If they did, I would've bought that one instead.

The backpack is very well made. Good use of quality materials throughout. The laptop lining is soft and well padded. There are plenty of compartments and pockets to organize all your accessories and cables. It even comes with a bag to store your power cables and adapters.

On the outside the zips feel strong and reliable, the external lining is durable and of good quality. It also comes with a padded back for extra comfort. The shoulder straps are well padded and will be comfortable when carrying around heavy items for long periods.

Unfortunately the adjustment straps and buckle feel a little cheap, and can come undone easily. Belkin would have done well to spend a bit more on those. As far as I can tell, that is the only real let down. (see pictures).

Overall, it is a good quality backpack, it looks great, with plenty of storage space for a lot of stuff. Unfortunately it's width and cheap buckles let it down.

Will you like it? It depends on how you intend to use it. If you need to carry a lot of stuff around on a daily basis, have a particularly bulky laptop, or if you need enough storage for say a mobile office then this backpack will be perfect for you.

But, if you're particularly slim, or looking for a bag that is sleek and portable, that is easy to carry your ultrabook laptop to a friend's house, school, or to a cafe, then you may want to look elsewhere - because it will feel like it is bigger than it really needs to be.

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical & Stylish, 6 Jun. 2009
Graham Mccarthy "gmccarthy15" (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
OK, let's deal with the size of this bag. If your laptop is bigger than 39cm x 27cm x 5cm then your going to struggle to fit it in. I'd regard these measurements as the limit. The laptop compartment is very well padded and so I really wouldn't bother with a sleeve and it's also red inside, a nice touch. Inside, in addition to the padded laptop compartment, there are three open pockets, one measuring 40x20 (suitable for an A4 pad) and two at 15x20 that will fit a mouse etc. There is also a zipped compartment measuring 32x9 and a couple of business card size pockets. There's also sufficient room for the power supply in here and a separate nylon `pencil' case is supplied for this(very handy).

On the outside of the case there's a zipped pocket measuring 30 wide x 20 deep with a pocket inside and a further zipped compartment on the front 15x25. I'm not sure how handy this one is, you could only really get thin items in it. Finally there is an open pocket with a Velcro seal measuring 40x25 that can be used to hide the shoulder strap and/or carry a thin A4 binder.

The bag is very neat and very well made; the crimson interior and trimmings are a nice touch and makes this bag slightly unusual. The handle is wide, secure and slightly padded making it comfortable to carry, even when it's fully loaded. The shoulder strap is wide enough to spread the load and won't cut into your shoulder and a really nice feature is the way that is can be stowed in the pocket when not in use (although it cannot be detached from the bag).

The bag isn't as capacious as some and if you `live' out of your laptop bag then this probably isn't the one for you. But if you need a stylish bag that's easy to carry, neat and well made, then for the price you really won't do better than this one. I can highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 11 Mar. 2010
Great design, has pockets to fit all your laptop accessories.
Regardless of the specified maximum 17 inch it perfectly fits my dell studio 17.3 inch laptop with dimensions - 41.5 x 28 x 4cm, however if you have this laptop with a big battery like mine (making the back end 6cm thick)you must put it in front first to fit.
I wouldn't recommend any laptop wider than 41.5cm, other dimensions have plenty more space.
Bag exterior dimensions - 45 x 35 x 11cm (without excessive content)

5.0 out of 5 stars Belkin Impulse Back Pack, 7 Jun. 2009
Superb. The back pack has plenty of additional pockets, as well as ample room for a 17'' laptop. The product is very well designed, resembling a sought-after fashion accessory as much as a practical item.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spacious, 19 Feb. 2010
As most other reviews have said, this easily accommodates a hefty 17". However, I've just had to purchase this after owning a Targus TEB01 ... and the Belkin bag is not in the same league. There a couple of things I really miss:

- No mobile phone pocket on the shoulder strap
- No elasticated, restraining fastener on the main compartment ... a big oversight. The laptop just slides around in there. In fact very few of the internal compartments fasten closed so things good quite easily start sliding around.
- No CD holder compartments.
- No easy-access, elasticated side compartments for quickly slipping things into
- No waistband strap for extra security
- It looks more conspicuously like a laptop bag!

The Belkin bag is almost half the price though! And it is definitely spacious, provides good protection and lots of individual storage compartments. Had I not owned the Targus previously I'd probably rated it with 5*

3.0 out of 5 stars better than nothing, 1 Jan. 2009
I. Hurley (Plymouth, UK) - See all my reviews
I have been searching for a laptop bag that fits my 17" widescreen laptop, and is not boring black for ages. Having returned others, finally, this one fits. The only problem is that I cannot open the top all the way, so because of the weight of the laptop I struggle to slip it into the pouch. Otherwise like the space for all the parts and the extra little pouch for small bits. I like that it looks different, but it is not the most convenient bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Over the moon!, 13 April 2010
R. C. Hilton "Becky" (Royton, Oldham) - See all my reviews
This bag arrived quickly and was even better than what I was expecting!!!! I had searched far and wide for a bag that would fit 17" plus laptops! (They are very far and few between trust me!) It fits my 17.4" Samsung perfectly! There are plenty of pockets and space for storage. The case provided for plugs and leads is a valuable addition as it protects them from scratching the laptop and holds them easily. It looks like a large pencil case if you will. It's a really well made, sturdy bag that screams quality and looks far more expensive than it actually is! It has a handle on top of the bag for hand held carrying as well as a shoulder strap. The bag is very light to carry and has the appearance of a designer bag! Very nicely finished off with contrasting lining and zip handles etc. One thing I was worried about was the plugs fitting in the bag without mis-shaping the bag or scratching the laptop but the bag is that roomy this doesn't happen and as mentioned above the plug/lead case provided with the laptop bag prevents this from happening and still fits inside the bag itself! After reading through lots of reviews on this product I honestly can only agree with the 5* ones as I'm truly over the moon with this bag! It's the best bag I've come across and believe me I'm fussy!!! I never do reviews so my time spent writing this shows how pleased I am! I'm now going to write yet another review for Belkin... Cushtop!!! Another fantastic product from Belkin go and read that review now!!! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not what expected, but much better!, 15 Mar. 2011
A. Carrott (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
The bag itself is a lot bigger than I first expected, but for a 17" laptop, it's probably my own fault. The bag's dimensions are approx. 51 x 40 x 15cms, so it looks a little large. However, it fits comfortably on the back, and there are at least 20 nooks, crannies and storage pockets inside for all your bits, bobs and gadgets. It also has an elasticated phone holder on the right arm which the description doesn't say about. No complaints, it comes in very useful on a bike! This is being used for university, where carrying a lot of stuff around is a necessity, and I would thoroughly recommend it for likewise usage. Very happy with this, can't have found anything better.