5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!
Published on 25 Aug 2011 by Mr. Pr Merrett

3.0 out of 5 stars A promise of better things to come
Published on 2 Jan 2009 by OEJ & SKY

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 25 Aug 2011
Mr. Pr Merrett "paulos_1" (Madrid) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 19 (Audio CD)
I ordered both Adele's albums at the same time because I'd heard one of her songs and given that I live abroad and I've totally lost touch with the British music scene, :-'( I hadn't heard much about her until that point. 19 is a great album led by a great talent with a great voice. I'd like to mention two strong tracks which are the honest and clever 'Daydreamer' and 'Best for Last' which I can only describe as two people's opposing ideas about where a relationship is going sung by one vocalist, Adele. It's just great! My absolute favourite though is 'Melt my heart to stone' because of the amazing vocals that she lays on the track. 'Tired' and 'hometown' are also just great. I feel nostalgic when I hear hometown and imagine her singing about our great capital! Great work!!

3.0 out of 5 stars A promise of better things to come, 2 Jan 2009
OEJ & SKY - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: 19 (Audio CD)
This is the debut album from Adele Laurie Blue Adkins who was, I assume, 19 years old when she completed it as she was born in May 1988 and the album came out in 2007. Credit must be given, then, to a young lady who not only sings well - most of the time - but who actually wrote most of the 12 songs here. My favourite one however was composed by Bob Dylan ('Make you feel my love') which stands out from all the others in terms of its lyrics and poetic balance.

It's an album that needs to be played several times to appreciate it. First time round I was rather disappointed; I bought it on the back of only hearing 'Chasing Pavements', which I think was also released as a single, but on first play I gained the impression that this was the only song I liked. Fortunately after a few more plays I changed my view on that, in fact I now prefer several other songs to the one she is best known for. One example is the more up-beat 'Right as Rain' which is pretty good.

Adele wrote seven of the songs on her own (or at least she is the only credited writer for seven), and of the remaining five she played a key role on four of them. The only 'cover' therefore is the aforementioned song by Bob Dylan but it does come over as the most musical song, the best produced and the most complete. In other words, the mastery of Dylan shines through and demonstrates that while Adele has talent and promise, she has someway to go before she's the finished article.

On occasions she seems (to me) to sing in a way that is removed from her natural accent; I noticed this on the opening track 'Daydreamer' in which she has a few Lily Allen-esque moments that I felt don't really suit her overall style. It's the sort of thing that she herself will probably cringe about when she hears it in years to come, but let's be fair, she's a teenage singer-songwriter and she should be admired for what she's achieved at such a young age. She shows signs of class, and I'm sure she'll improve with age and experience.

Now that I have played the album several times, I like it more than I did on first audition, but it still doesn't blow me away. Quite good, and by no means a classic, but showing positive signs for her future.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average Buy I'm Afraid, 24 Oct 2011
This review is from: 19 (Deluxe Edition) (Audio CD)
I bought this wanting to understand all the hype surrounding the artist and my curiosity was met with disappointment. It's definitely one for the broken hearted and people who have experienced this will definitely relate to the music.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as genius as 21, but a good start, 21 April 2012
This review is from: 19 (Audio CD)
I bought this and 21 at the same time, and have listened to 21 much more, as it's much darlker and richer. Can't help wonder what 23 will be like, if her relationship stays on the rails!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Adele, 28 Aug 2011
This review is from: 19 (Deluxe Edition) (Audio CD)
I am enjoying Adele's lastest so much that I wanted to experience her first album too. Though I am enjoying Adele 19, I find I have more favourites with Adele 21.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adele 19, 26 Aug 2011
This review is from: 19 (MP3 Download)
Adele's first album full of great melodies and quite outstanding control of song lyrics, maudlin to some but very recognisable to others. a very mature set of songs for one so young.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful 19!, 19 July 2011
This review is from: 19 (Audio CD)
Having recently discovered the wonderful Adele and eagerly consuming all Utube content of her songs, I ordered this plus 21! I am so happy and grateful to have lived long enough (am getting on a bit now)to be able to hear this extraordinary voice of hers. The songs reflect her life experiences and feelings in a way that is totally absorbing to hear. Never in my long life has such a female singer got through to me in this profound way. Her emotions, the tone of her voice are haunting. You feel everything she sings.
21 shows her developing voice and maturity and is really a must for all music lovers. I cannot recommend 19 or Adele highly enough. May she live long and continue to soothe my soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars New fan, 11 July 2011
This review is from: 19 (Audio CD)
Just heard some Adele recently and thought I'd give this CD a try. I'm really enjoying it and love her soulful smokey voice. Yes a total fan now and will try 21 next. Probably not her usual agegroup of fan as I'm 50+

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, 4 July 2011
This review is from: 19 (Audio CD)
This is my favourite album at the moment, I play it constantly. I love every track but 'Chasing pavements' and 'Make you feel my love' are my prefered tracks. Adele has such a wonderful voice. I have also bought '21' which is also great but still prefer '19'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this album, 7 Jun 2011
A. Lucas "bookworm" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: 19 (Audio CD)
I guess I'm a bit late in buying this and discovering the wonderful voice of Adele. But I'm so glad I have now! Every song on here is a gem, and her voice is so beautiful. It's hard to believe that Adele was just 19 when this was made. She is such a gifted young woman. I now have to get her next album!

ARRAY(0xa2686984)

19 by Adele (Audio CD - 2008)
Click for more info
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available