I bought two of these as Christmas presents and had the chance to try one of them out. I'm quite impressed, especially given the low price (29.99 when I got it).

Published on 30 Dec 2007 by L. Russell

2.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight and disappointing sound
Having been recently upgrading our radios to DAB we have bought quite a few DAB sets recently. Unfortunately the Intempo is the most disappointing of them. Lightly built and feeling flimsy in use the sound matches its feel, sounding very tinny with poor bass reproduction and a frequent annoying background buzz when in use.

The controls are fiddly to use...
Published on 12 Dec 2007 by J. Brand

2.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight and disappointing sound, 12 Dec 2007
J. Brand "jbrand" (Somewhere else) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Intempo Digital TRS-01S Silver DAB Transistor Radio (Electronics)

The controls are fiddly to use. Station selection is via a dial which is flush with the front of the radio. Which makes the control look quite good but very difficult to use. That is slightly offset by the presence of five preset station buttons on the set but if you want more than five then you are either using a button combination to get to the next set or after 10 DAB presets your are back to its awkward dial selection. The volume control is a simple up down button on the side of the radio but which unfortunately is rather indiscriminate in the range of settings making it all too loud at some settings but all too quiet at the setting immediately below.

This is only about five pounds cheaper than the Pure One which is another of the radios we bought recently and yet putting the two of them next to one another there is no comparison. In some ways the intempo looks better but its sound quality is much poorer, it fails to pick up the stations which our other radios can find, even failing on some of the major stations. On the whole this is OK if you want a small DAB radio for a few stations and are not too worried about sound quality but if that's the case then any cheap FM radio would do. Otherwise I'd suggest spending just a few pounds more which could get you something much better. As it was I only had this on the kitchen table for a few hours and decided it's going back. Even in that time the sound quality is so poor that I've resorted to bring a different radio in to replace it. If I'm going to do that then it isn't worth having this radio around!

4.0 out of 5 stars At last, a reasonably-priced DAB radio that takes AA batteries, 30 Dec 2007
L. Russell (Suffolk, England) - See all my reviews

It is very lightweight and compact, making it very easy to carry around so you don't miss anything and can even listen in the bathroom - that's one thing I miss with my excellent, but mains-only, Pure Evoke 1. The battery life on mid-range NiMH rechargable batteries seems OK - several hours, though I didn't do a measured test.

I found the buttons, dial and tuning very straightforward and the presets very easy to use. However the signal quality isn't very strong - a weak station that a Pure Evoke 1 and a Bush DAB struggle with isn't picked up at all by the Intempo (though as it is available on its FM tuner this isn't a big problem). Unlike the other DAB radios I've used, I find that this one really needs the aerial up all the time, even for stronger channels.

The sound quality seems fine to me - though as I primarily listen to Radio 4, BBC7 etc I haven't tried it with music.

5.0 out of 5 stars DAB in style!, 11 Dec 2007
Hello everyone, well what can I say about my new radio! It's great! I listen to it every morning to wake me up whilst I'm getting ready for work. It's so easy to use (even my half asleep hands can get it turned on and on the right station in the morning!). It takes batteries too so will deinitely be taking it to the park in the summer with my children. I would recommend this radio to anyone looking for a nice DAB radio that is easy to use :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Godd price and quality, 5 Mar 2008
Bought one as a Christmas present for my husband. He is using it every day and finds it very easy to use. The radio has a nice design and is lightweight. Easy to operate and switch between DAB and FM. Will recomend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Radio Revolution, 14 July 2009
Rae (Reading, Berkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Ok so this is my first DAB radio - was a little worried at first as I had a few problems working out how to get the batteries in but all worked ok (some kind of intelligence test perhaps?). The Intempo is a neat, light little unit with a small footprint which is why I choose it. I needed a radio for my kitchen in a rural area and it sits quite happily on the windowsill looking attractive. If I had to pick a fault with this particular model it's that the volume controls are on the side not the front but it's really no big deal, I just have to hold & press. To be honest it's so easy to find chanels that I barely use the presets it offers but I'm sure they'd come in handy for other users.

The only thing I'm unhappy about is that no-one told me how fantastic DAB radio is earlier! the dial scrolls though tons of chanels effortlessly, the quality is always perfect. It opens up a whole new world of radio channels I never even knew existed. Makes washing up far less of a chore.

I'd have no problems with recommending this radio to anyone.

The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was the price as it was a little bit expensive but to be honest - worth it.

2.0 out of 5 stars DAB Transistor radio, 4 Feb 2009
M. Thorpe (UK) - See all my reviews
We were very disappointed in this radio as it was a Christmas present. The radio will work on the mains lead but not with batteries.

1.0 out of 5 stars Asolute rubbish., 6 Nov 2008
I bought this as an introduction into DAB. I would love to be introduced to DAB. Unless I get to the upper level of my house it wont tune into anything. My LCD digital ready TV has no problems.

Perhaps you may fare better in your area of reception, but in the Tyneside area it appears to be a worthless purchase.

ARRAY(0xaf5d00a8)