4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Tool To Improve French
I bought this for myself to use on my son's DS Lite to brush up my school learnt French some twenty odd years ago. It tests you at first to see what lesson to start you on.

Published on 10 Mar 2008 by wicket2005

2.0 out of 5 stars Tant pis!
A real missed opportunity here!

The basic concept is OK. Repetition helps in language learning and a little fun helps you learn without getting too bored. Unfortunately these games won't keep you interested for too long.

Published on 11 Feb 2008 by A. B. Mcmullon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Tool To Improve French, 10 Mar 2008
wicket2005 (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: My French Coach Level 1: Learn To Speak French (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)

You read about how to write French and translate English into French before inserting words into sentences, find words in word searches, hit moles on the head that have the right word wrote on them and answer multi choice questions. The words are said in French which helps you to hear how you should pronounce it.

Each time you do a lesson or a game you are awarded points, when you attain enough points, ie show you understand the words/lesson the next lesson opens up.

This is a fun way to brush up on French or to use an ancilliary aid for the kids learning French at school. I would definitely buy it if my sons were in secondary school or even in primary to give them a head start.

I definitely recommend it for those wanting to learn a language, brush up on a language or for kids to help them at school. The main thing it is fun but you are learning at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars addicted, 29 Jan 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I purchased this game for my 11 yr old son, in order to help him prepare for secondary school. At first he was very sceptical as it wasn't what he would class as a game, however he is thoroughly enjoying himself, and now tries to speak french at home. I am also addicted to it and I was very surprised at how much French I could actually remember from school. By working through the lessons you master and remember the words.
I would recommend it to anyone with an 11yr old child who has had no exposure to foreign languages before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 19 Jan 2008
MacFan (Northampton, England) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This isn't a game but a proper French learning tool- very easy to pick up and I'd highly recommend it. There's a lot of variety to the games so you don't get bored and the repetition of words until you learn them means you really do remember. I would say you've got to actually want to learn the language but it's very much like the Brain Training games- it only takes a few minutes each day.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tant pis!, 11 Feb 2008
A. B. Mcmullon "Skypilot" (Sedbergh, Cumbria) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
A real missed opportunity here!

When it comes to content this game has the same FATAL error as My French Coach 2 - it tries to teach vocabulary without giving you gender and so only does half the job and makes it impossible to even simple gramatical construction without recourse to an ordinary paper dictionary. It should have been very easy to include un/une in the dictionary and in all the vocab lessons (or even to do it subliminally with colour) - but it seems that no one associated with this project has pointed this out!

The best thing about this Level 1 version is that it DOES (unlike Level 2, the Vocab trainer) include good pronunciation files. Neverthless the omission of Gender suggests that you should spend your money elsewhere (especially if this games is one of your main reasons for buying a DS as it was in my case!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Really helped, 30 Jan 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Bought this for boys aged 11 & 13, and self. It helped all of us and 1 boy that had been struggling said he had learnt more doing 20 minutes every day at home on the "game" than he had in a year struggling with a teacher at school. Really useful for early French learners at School but not really for those that want to get the language quickely for travel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tres bien, 30 July 2008
Mrs. Susan Land "lilac girl" (Ribble Valley, Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
My French Coach Level 1: Learn To Speak French (Nintendo DS)
An excellent learning tool, which becomes addictive! I love the pronunciation help, sadly this is missing in Level 2. I agree with another reviewer, who commented on the lack of gender. Otherwise, I would have given 5 stars for both categories. It is still a worthwhile purchase for anyone wanting to learn or brush up on the French language.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good revision tool, 13 Mar 2009
J. Brown (Swindon, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought My French Coach Level 1 as I'd learnt basic French for about a year, over 20 years ago, and was keen to refresh my knowledge and learn more.

The game starts off with a test to assess which lesson to start you with based on your previous knowledge. You can go back and refresh on the lessons previous to your starting point if you wish.

You use the stylus as you work through the lessons and games and the more points you earn from mastering the lessons the more lessons and games you unlock. I would disagree with other reviewers who though this game was not useful for learning! You can easily build up from having no knowledge and get through basic conversational French with a good understanding. As a guide the first few lessons are numbers, colours, days of the week, months, pronouns, questions and add on in a fairly logical sequence.

The games vary between multiple choice, flash cards (which is another type of multiple choice), word search, bridge building (where you put the words in the correct order to make a sentence), spelling, hit-a-word (a child orientated game of bopping gophers on the head as they appear out of a hole to select words) amongst others.

I think this game offers a good overall introduction to any age wanting to learn a new language or refresh the basics before progressing. I already have My French Coach level 2 ready for when I complete this, and definitely will try other languages too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unlike most reviews I've read, I'm not here to insult., 27 Dec 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Let me just say, I knew an average amount of French before I started this, and wanted to fill in the gaps. I've read a lot of bad reviews on this game, so I don't really know why I still asked for it for Christmas, but I'm glad I did.

Here are some facts:
* This game isn't for children, don't give it to them thinking it will help with their GCSEs, because it isn't designed for that.
* What it does tailor to, however, is a lot of what you would use on holiday.
* This has the same look as the word coach, but not the same feel. Word Coach's teacher was harsh and nasty. The teacher on this game seems too nice and a bit dipsy. Plus, maybe a little provocative? (can I just say, I'm a female, mid 20s)
* There are lots of lessons to learn, words or phrases grouped into a lesson. About 10 words/phrases per lesson, and a bar saying how many times you have practiced that word.
* They start with a test, to see how much French you know. I knew enough to start on lesson 11.

Bad points:
* Sometimes I want more practice on a word, but although you can access it in the index, you can't choose to use it in the mini games.
* The mini games are childish. I've opened 5 so far, and 2 are terrible. They don't help you learn the words at all. If you have played 'my word coach', remember the game where letters drop down and you have to pick the right letters to spell the word? A fun game, but doesn't help you remember the word at all. Well, this is the same case.
* Jumping to lesson 11 meant I missed out on a few words I actually hadn't encountered before, but I apparently had 100pc on (for example, wife).
* They don't go into enough detail on the way some words are formed. For examle, I know sun means soielle (spelt wrong, I can't remember off the top of my head). They say ensoille in the game. What is the difference? Another example is room. I got taught at school the word room is salle, but they said it was pierce. Obviously both right, and used at different times, but when do you use each one?

Good points:
* I expected this to be just a bunch of words to learn, but they teach you sentences as well
* As you go through the lessons, they will start with a little fact about France, which I found quite interesting.
* The games I haven't insulted are good. They do help you remember the words. Plus one game asks you to spell a word using a keyboard you can touch.

This game is adictive, if you give it a chance. Isn't it better to learn French on the go, when you feel like it, than from a boring book or lesson? Don't have high expectations of this game, and you'll find its better than you first judged.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this game, 11 Mar 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this to try to revive my rather rusty school French in preparation for a holiday. I love the way that the lessons are short and sharp and then followed by a series of fun games. It is a really relaxing way of learning a language as you can just sit down for ten to fifteen minutes each evening and expand your vocabulary and repertoire of phrases. You can test word recognition through reading and listening activities and can also test your pronunciation using the mic on the DS. There is a phrase book facility and also a notebook facility so you can draw on the screen to help you get your message accross. I think this is suitable for both children and adults, although younger children would probably struggle with some of the spelling exercises. I'm really glad I bought it as I am having great fun resurecting all that French that I learned years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted with the progress my child made with this!, 16 Nov 2008
H. Grant "standfast5" (Germany) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this DS French course out of desperation - my daughter started French at a new school and all the other kids had already done 2-3 years of it so she was behind everyone else. I bought this because she loves using her DS and I knew she would be more likely to use this software than to sit with me for the same length of time learning vocabulary. Within a week she had learnt the numbers 1-13, colours, days of the week, months, etc. and she has now nearly caught up the other kids in her class. As an adult I would prefer to go to a language class if I were learning a new language, but for a DS-mad kid this is a really good way of learning.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

My French Coach Level 1: Learn To Speak French (Nintendo DS)
14.95