5.0 out of 5 stars "It's breaking my heart" but I know it will mend again
Published on 21 Oct. 2007 by Brida

3.0 out of 5 stars ok ish
Always not as good as her earlier stuff but still worth a listen gone is the eye patch for long hair cover up, maybe this album is reason for her not charting as much now, for the sound is more guitar based and not as uplifting as previous albums, just hope she gets back to better sound in the future otherwise her career is dead.
Published on 30 Mar. 2011 by claw b4

5.0 out of 5 stars "It's breaking my heart" but I know it will mend again, 21 Oct. 2007
Brida "izumi" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Always (Audio CD)
It was "Bridget Jones's Diary" that got my attention in relation to Gabrielle with her amazing song, "Out of Reach". Since then, I haven't followed her every musical move, but when I saw that she was releasing a new album, my interest was piqued again. Seeing her recently on T.V. for a behind the scenes mini-documentary about the making-of her single "Why", I finally decided to purchase ALWAYS.

The overall feel of the album is about love at the end stages. Some of the tracks are more sombre than others, whilst there are tracks that show you that someitmes the person who does the leaving is often the one who shall regret walking away (for example, "Cold Sober Moment").
As another reviewer has said, although the breakup of relationships is the dominant theme here, Gabrielle has done it in a way that does not depress you as you listen. Thankfully this means that you can easily listen to the entire album in one sitting without wanting to give up on life.

Perhaps because of the way I came to her music, when Gabrielle is doing the 'standard' ballad, I personally thinks she shines. "Why" is one such example, although she does give it a new flavour by introducing a guest vocalist, Paul Weller. "Every Little Teardrop" is also another favourite of mine - it is something that I can feel an affinity to - and perfectly shows the idea that even after heartache there is a way to heal and not be fooled by those who are not worthy of our affections and our time.

Overall this is a fantastic album. If you enjoy soul, but with influences from other areas, this album could be just what you are looking for.

4.0 out of 5 stars how does the lady do it!, 13 Oct. 2007
Mr. Nathan Armstrong - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Always (Audio CD)
our gab has been around a long time now and her albums - though few and far between - never disappoint!

how she can come up with writing so many songs about lost love - but each one that touches the listener - will never cease to amaze me as they are all positive and not maudling!

the new album harks back to great gabrielle, but some songs have a feel of the last album which, despite being a comparitive flop, i thought was her best yet! also you get some get motown type numbers..even a bit of 70s glam rock!

track by track

"always"is a good opener but the production sounds "tinny" and spoils it 7/10

"heartbreaker" has a 70s glam rock feel and again the production lets it down 5/10

"why" the 1st single and reworking of paul wellers "wildwood" failed to set the charts alight..still its a great track and deserved to do a lot better 9/10

"i remember" harks back to motown and has a great happy feel 8/10

"every little teardrop" again is full of the motown sound and it works 7/10

"im not in love" has the same guitar rifts from the last album..it works! a lovely song 8/10

"wiser" sounds like its of the phil spector christmas album - very motown in the 60's.... i can see the supremes singing this 8/10

"wiser" has the country sound of the last album...pure vocals...great lyrics 8/10

"all i want" has a big orchestra behind it..a big track handled will style 9/10

"its breaking my heart" is a lovely track with great lyrics..my favourite so far 9/10

"cold sober" is another lovely gabrielle track...although without a choir...i has the feel that the track is building to a climax 8/10

"show me love" is a great track! gabrielle doing what she does best! 8/10

"closure" the final track is about ending a relationship and has a orchesra to back her up 10/10 well they say save the best till last!

like all her albums this album is great - although i dont like the production on some of the tracks as they take away from the listening experience!

the tracks get better as the album goes on! if you love her you will love this as she delivers the goods once again!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best thing Gabrielle has ever recorded, 9 Oct. 2007
Mr. Nm Edwards "cwej12" (Horley, Surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Always (Audio CD)
There is no question - this is Gabrielle's masterpiece album. She's not groundbreaking in the Madonna/Bjork sense of the word... she's not got the technically astounding vocals of Mica Paris/Beverley Knight. But what Gabrielle has are pop songs that are simple, to the point and well-crafted. And on 'Always', her 5th studio album, she highlights this with an extraordinarily consistent collection of songs.

Her producers have pushed away from the country-leanings of her last, more introspective, album 'Play To Win' to create a modern sound, influenced by 60s/70s soul leanings as well.

From the Kanye West-esque title track to the Primal Scream influenced 'Heartbreaker' to the gentle soulful lead single, 'Why', featuring Paul Weller, Gabrielle tries her hand at different genres, all to excellent standards. She completely flourishes on epic sounding piano ballads like 'All I Want', 'Show Me Love' and the heartbreaking 'Closure' and her vocals have never sounded as empowered as they do in the closing minute of the 70s-sounding 'Every Little Teardrop'.

The theme of 'breaking up' recurs on nearly every track and yet Gabrielle has made the lyrics strangely uplifting - we learn so much from break-ups, they aren't just about heartache. That's the message I got from the album.

A resounding return to form for the UK's premier soul singer. Welcome back!

5.0 out of 5 stars Back on form!, 3 Oct. 2007
Sam "kingathon" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Always (Audio CD)
Many people (including me) felt slightly disappointed upon the release of Play To Win- a rather typical and at times forgettable album. There were a few highlights but I don't play the album as much as the Greatest Hits or Rise. Not only that but there were no clear singles, hence why they both flopped and probably the reason why this album isn't selling well and the single performed poorly. However this album is fantastic- Gabrielle has moved away from her traditional sound to create a quirky and innovative new album. The music at times on this album is very very unusual the songs and lyrics are fantastic!
1.Always-This track is upbeat quirky brill, but it almost sounds messy! 8/10
2.Heartbreaker-Catchy and upbeat, but on repeated listens gets worse. 7/10
3.Why-The first single and a real grower what a fantastically soulful ballad and her vocals sound better than ever before. 10/10
4.I Remember-Again very quirky. Love it! 8/10
...Closure-A bit more of a typical ballad, strong vocally. 7.5/10

4.0 out of 5 stars Gabrielle never fails to deliver, 15 Nov. 2011
Amillionmiles (Hove, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Always (Audio CD)
I always wait in anticipation for a new release from Gabrielle as she is one of my favourite artists. When I first heard her debut album "Find Your Way", I was instantly drawn in and have remained a dedicated fan ever since. Her latest album "Always" sees her sticking to the style she knows best - mature soul and pop with great melodies and heartfelt lyrics. I do not think I have yet to dislike a Gabrielle song and there is no exception here.

The album starts off well with surprisingly energetic tracks. "Always" is a very uplifting and well written track and a great way to the open the album. "Heartbreaker" is not dissimilar to "When A Woman" as it is up-tempo, soulful and has the same Motown style arrangements. "Why" is a more pop orientated song but has a different almost rocky and edgy vibe to it making it quite interesting and unique. "I Remember" is another fast paced track with a melody that takes you back to the early 90's when R&B was fresh and new. "Every Little Teardrop" is a really sweet and endearing song with lovely strings playing in the background. "I'm Not In Love" is the first of the ballads and has a country music influence to it which was also present on her previous album "Play To Win". "Love Me Like You Do" is the last of the upbeat tracks and has a magical Motown feel to it.

But Gabrielle is a master of ballads and it is the end of the album that is by far the best as each song is a highlight. "Wiser" is another country music inspired ballad and has a beautiful infectious melody and chorus. "All I Want" is a more atmospheric ballad, possessing a beautiful string section and a captivating melody. "It's Breaking My Heart" and "Cold Sober Moment" both have a more acoustic feel to them with a pop/rock influence which works as they are both very catchy. The powerful "Show Me Love" sounds a little like Massive Attacks "Unfinished Sympathy" and is just as addictive. But my favourite track is "Closure", a really beautiful break-up song with lovely vocals from Gabrielle and a heartfelt melody and lyrics.

Once again, Gabrielle impresses and releases another strong beautifully crafted album. After 14 years recording music, she still possesses the ability to write a heartfelt and emotive lyric and still manages to keep her fans interested. No wonder she is described as the UK's number one soul singer - she certainly is in my eyes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another 'classy' Album under her belt!, 24 Mar. 2010
FAMOUS NAME (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Always (Audio CD)
Another great Album from 'Gabrielle'.

Incredibly, I still tend to think of 'Gabrielle' as a fairly 'new' Artist - and that does seem incredible I know, but she came to the fore at a time when Chart music in particular started deteriorating rapidly at the beginning of the nineties wit a few exceptions, and so I am 'locked' in my mind in that era when I began to lose a great deal of interest in 'Top Of The Pops' that had been such a big part of my life for almost thirty years at that time. It seems inconceivable now that she is an 'old hand' and has been around for almost twenty years now! The last of the few great 'new' Artists and Bands to make any sort of impact on the Charts and to sustain it.

This Album features twelve great new Tracks with that familiar sound of 'Gabrielle' we have all come to know and expect.

Great and 'timeless' artist she is - recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent return to form!, 9 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Always (Audio CD)
I have to admit after the dismal effort that was ''Play To Win'' I wasn't expecting great things to emerge from this album. How wrong I was to think that! This album grows stronger and stronger with every listen. Firstly the lyrics are breathtaking, and the production that has gone into the album is astonishing. My favourite tracks are ''Always'', ''Why'' and ''I Remember''. Although this album hasn't set the charts alight upon early release I believe it will be a contender for album of the year! Well done Gabrielle - you've done it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant !!!, 8 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Always (Audio CD)
Once again Gabrielle has released an album that you can play over and over again. The song structure is as always well thought out which gives the listener a good mix of the deep ballads and quirky upbeat songs. A new sound on some of the songs "Heartbreaker" which proves that Gabrielle can move with the times but also some reassuringly old style tracks such as "I remember". A truly worthy buy. Well done Gabrielle, A triumphant return and about time!

3.0 out of 5 stars ok ish, 30 Mar. 2011
claw b4 (wolves u.k.) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Gabrielle Always (C.D), 3 Dec. 2011
Jennifer Panting "Ploddie feet" (Burnley, Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Always (Audio CD)
This is a brillent album. The first two tracks are quite quick. Then the tracks after that are the Gabrielle that I know. Includes the track "Why".

Always
Always by Gabrielle (Audio CD - 2007)